Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone heard anything about Monsterman, Greg Bingham?

saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
I read that he might have had a stroke.

I hope it's not true...he's a good guy and a friend. :-)

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, I just read some Bingham quotes literally last night, in reference to his rivalry with the Steelers in the 70's. I hope he is well.
  • Options
    He always would tell me that Lambert had no ass. That always sounded strange. image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I read elsewhere that it turned out to be an aneurysm, Gregg has had 3 surgeries since, has turned the corner today and is improving.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow, hope he recovers soon
  • Options
    I just heard that he's recovering after a touchy weekend.

Greg.....get well. I miss you r fanatical, whacked-out emails. image
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Get well soon Greg. I never get tired of looking at your commems!
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gregg has a good eye for coins and put together some top pop Morgan's for his NFL collection. I hope all goes well with his recovery.

How did you get to know him, Jay?

imageimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    We talked here, met at shows and became friends. Had dinner, drinks together numerous times and I never let up on how the Steelers whupped the Oilers throughout the 70's. image

He went to high school right here in Chicago at Mount Carmel, was a high school phenom and then had a great career at Purdue.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could add more but this is an email I got about Gregg this morning:

Gregg is resting comfortably, although yesterday was hardly uneventful. Once again, an average day in the life of Bing included surgery. The doctors brought Gregg into the OR at about 9 am to relieve the pressure (fluid) on his brain and to add a drain. Once again, the surgery was successful. He was then heavily sedated so that his body, and especially his brain, could receive a well deserved rest.... Everyone is optimistic that a complete recovery is on the horizon.

Some of us were able to visit with Gregg Saturday, and although he was groggy (at best), he hasn't lost a beat in terms of how sharp he is. However, there may be one minor change: while the doctors operated Friday night, they may have mistakenly crossed a couple of wires, as I heard him distinctly talk about the benefit of government social programs and how the federal government especially needs to continue to help the Katrina victims. If this condition is allowed to continue, then without further surgery, Gregg Bingham may vote a straight democratic ticket next election.

Seriously, although the news is good, Gregg is still very sick. There will not be any visitors again today, but I'll get more info out as it develops.

Keep him in your prayers.......

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Is this the same guy who has some amazingly toned, high grade, early commems?

I hope all is well.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this the same guy who has some amazingly toned, high grade, early commems?

I hope all is well. >>

Yep!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    that's him......the finest set of toned commem's out there!
    Steve

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    encouragement PM'd

There were no pom poms attached.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's hoping you get well soon, Gregg.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A backer who played in a REMARKABLE 170 consecutive pro games. That is just unfathomable as every game is a car wreck.

Truly one of the best NFLers not in the HOF and a true gentleman on these boards and in life.

get well.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the update, rkfish.

I've exchanged some PMs with Gregg and he's always been gracious in sharing his knowledge.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery, Gregg.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Never had the pleasure, I wish him well. Evan Gale at Aspen park RC just had one of his rejects, a Huguenot that sold right away, I think the pic is still there.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Jay,You are correct about his emails,and Gregg is a class act,sharp as a tack,great eye for the best.Also was an amazing linebacker as well.Gregg get well soon my friend.Best Wishes,Lloydimage Our prayers are with you.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    My only Monsterman coin,NGC 67 CAC.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    Gregg,

Laura and I are praying for you and I posted a prayer request on your behalf on an Internet prayer ministry that I've been a part of for quite some time. God bless and get well soon big guy image ...

Mikey
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a class act. I wish him all the best.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I just got an update on Greg and he's most likely to be fine ultimately but until then keep him in your thoughts.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    That's good to hear. Get well soon, Gregg.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers from here to Gregg ...

wishing you all the best and then some Monsterman image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes to Greg and his family image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gregg:

Get well soon!

You are the best!

Even the Dawg Pound fans here and in Cleveland are rooting for you!

No one scared us more than you and that included Jack Lambert!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got an update on Greg and he's most likely to be fine ultimately but until then keep him in your thoughts. >>

That's great news. image Thanks for passing it along.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Here's to many more forearm shivers in your future, Gregg. Get well soon!! Oskie!
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    Here's to a monster man with a monster heart and a monster sense of humor !! Gregg has always shared his coins, his knowledge, his experience, and his advice.

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Sunnywood

P.S. Here are some of my favorite Morgans formerly owned by Gregg Bingham ... a world-class collector with a superb eye for beautifully toned coins. His "NFL Set" of Morgans was one of the highest quality and highest eye-appeal sets ever assembled, and of course his spectacular toned Commems are second to none.

1892-CC PCGS MS66 ex PCGS Tour, NFL Set (Gregg Bingham), Michael Casper, Arno Collection:

imageimage

1882-S PCGS MS67 called "The Electric Rainbow Wonder Coin" by Michael Casper; 1888-O PCGS MS66 end-roller called "the coolest '88-O on the planet" by Mike DeFalco:

imageimage

1902-O PCGS MS66 and 1904-O PCGS MS66, both ex Gregg Bingham, Dale Larsen:

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Here's to a monster man with a monster heart and a monster sense of humor !! Gregg has always shared his coins, his knowledge, his experience, and his advice.

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Sunnywood

P.S. Here are some of my favorite Morgans formerly owned by Gregg Bingham ... a world-class collector with a superb eye for beautifully toned coins. His "NFL Set" of Morgans was one of the highest quality and highest eye-appeal sets ever assembled, and of course his spectacular toned Commems are second to none.
    >>

I'm usually not much of a fan of toning but there are a couple people here who post a lot of exceptions. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    A great guy and he'll be in my prayers along with his loved ones.

A couple of years back, I was considering one of his monster rejects, a Grant with Star in MS65 that Shep wanted very strong money to sell. He gave me Gregg's phone number. I called, randomly, and introduced myself in the middle of the day. An hour later, we stopped discussing commens. He told me all the good and bad of the coin and didn't know what Shep was asking (and we all know what Larry's prices were like when he was actively dealing!). I told him and his response was simple, "worth every cent and will only grow in value."

I bought it and never thought twice. I still have his number on speed dial and meant to call him several times in the past 18 months. Now though, time to rest my friend. Maybe in two or three months or if you read this and PM me when you're ready.

• Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    He bought a commem from me off Ebay. With his collection, I couldn`t believe he was buying from me. He later told me he liked a certain date commem. I told him how much I admired his commem collection. He, then offered to bring any pieces to the FUN show for me to look at. Sadly, I never did make it. Hopefully, he`ll be better real soon and we`ll meet at a future FUN show.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A super guy and we'll say a prayer as well for him!!

No one out there who appreciates color more than GB!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've missed reading Greg's insights into the inner workings of the coin market over the past several years. His posts usually were eye openers and instant classics.

Get well Greg.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    He's shared some amazing stories with me. Hope he's back at 100% real soon!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any update on Gregg?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Get well soon, Greg. My prayers go out to you.
  • Options
    Just got into Portland for the ANA show and had this update on Gregg.....everything continues to be positive. Let's continue to keep Gregg and his family in our heart and prayers.

Good news! Both yesterday and today, nothing happened. Gregg is merely enjoying a well deserved rest. He is groggy, and the doctors have taken away his cell phone, his keys and his visitors. But most important, he is regaining his strength and, as part of that effort, he is expected to remain in ICU for the balance of the week.
    Steve

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any current updates?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Hello! Anyone have the latest on Gregg?
  • Options
    Godspeed and best wishes to Gregg and his family.
  • Options
    Here is the latest that I have via email.......sounding good..image

Gregg had a good birthday and yesterday was even better. He is eating solid foods, including zucchini ("this sh$t tastes terrible!"), and is apparently becoming more verbal. Out of an abundance of caution, the doctors are keeping Gregg in ICU for another week; apparently, to get more rest, and to have some closer attention (one nurse per two beds). Actually, this sounds like a bad Henny Youngman joke - I went to the hospital to get some rest... Regardless, the hospital bears some responsibility for Gregg's recovery, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much.

As long as Gregg is awake enough to realize that zucchini is a poor excuse for calories, I know that he is getting better, and steak and baked potatoes are soon to follow.[i/]
    Steve

• Options
    << ("this sh$t tastes terrible!"), >>

Sounds like Gregg alright!

Great sign actually. At least he's still "all there"! image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any updates? Hopefully he made a full recovery.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I got an update on him during the ANA convention earlier this month. He's doing great and almost back to normal, abeit with a more mellow demeanor than before.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>I got an update on him during the ANA convention earlier this month. He's doing great and almost back to normal, abeit with a more mellow demeanor than before. >>

Thanks for the update.

...thank goodness for good news.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Great news, he's a good man.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file