Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908-S Indian Head Cent Grading Set - The First Branch Mint Cent (many pics - updated 9/20/2009)

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just took photos of my 1908-S Indian Head Cent PCGS Grading Set that I have been working on lately. While my first love in coin collecting is my 1909 Mint Set (link in signature), I also really enjoy Indian Head Cents. I figured a decent way to learn the series and how to grade the series better was to work on a grading set. I've always loved the 1908-S semi-key date as it's the first time the cent was produced outside of the Philadelphia Mint. 1908 is also the last year the Chicago Cubs were the MLB Champions image Not all of the examples in the set below are the best for the grade, but some of them were just hard to find one example in the grade at all. I figure I'll probably replace a few of them once I find better examples, but for now they'll have to do. Thanks for looking and hope that maybe the set helps a few others learn the series too. Also, if you find an example of a 1908-S that would fill a hole in the set, feel free to let me know image If you would like to know the current pops of these coins, a link to the Showcase set in the Registry with that information is in my signature.

PCGS G04
imageimage

PCGS G06
imageimage

PCGS VG08
imageimage

PCGS VG10
imageimage

PCGS F12
imageimage

PCGS F15
imageimage

PCGS VF20
imageimage

PCGS VF25
imageimage

PCGS VF30
imageimage

PCGS VF35
imageimage

PCGS XF40
imageimage

PCGS XF45
imageimage

PCGS AU50
imageimage

PCGS AU53
imageimage

PCGS AU55
imageimage

PCGS AU58
imageimage

PCGS MS62BN
imageimage

PCGS MS62RB
imageimage

PCGS MS63BN
imageimage

PCGS MS63RB
imageimage

PCGS MS63RD
imageimage

PCGS MS64RB
imageimage

PCGS MS64RD
imageimage

PCGS Genuine - 91 Questionable Color
imageimage

PCGS Genuine - 97 Environmental Damage
imageimage

PCGS Genuine - 98 Damage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Wil2008Wil2008 Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Good Evening.

WOW, pretty darn nice grading set you have there. Nice work!!

Wil
    Positive BST Transactions:

coinsarefun, marmac, LindeDad, andree, robkool, TwoSides2aCoin, waterzooey, agentjim007
    All were A++++ Transactions- Thank you !
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool idea!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    oh may, that is so cool

I probably would have tried a coin I could afford like the 1909 regular ihc maybe

doing what you did with a key was quite an accomplishmentimage
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the grading set. I went through a friend's coins and he gave me a raw 08 S as a "thank you." It looks like it's in the VF 35 to XF 40 range.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>oh may, that is so cool

I probably would have tried a coin I could afford like the 1909 regular ihc maybe

doing what you did with a key was quite an accomplishmentimage >>

Thanks for the kind words. Of course a 1909-P set would have cost significantly less and would have went along with my 1909 mint set quite well.

However, since the 1908-S is a semi-key date, they can actually be found in PCGS slabs in the lower grades if you look hard enough. I haven't looked much, but I imagine it would be quite difficult to find a G04 or a VG08 1909-P IHC in a PCGS slab. I wouldn't expect too many folks slabbing those.

Seems like in order to do a grading set you'd either have to choose a semi-key or key date which is worth slabbing in the lower grades, otherwise you'd have to make a lot of the lower grades yourself.
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Nice set!

The VG10 and F12 look about the same. What do you think?
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice set!

The VG10 and F12 look about the same. What do you think? >>

I thought the VG10 looked better than the F12 or F15. Such minute differences at that grade level, that it's hard to tell. I love the set though! Very nice!
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Nice set, I see its newly listed in Collectors Showcase.

• Options
    I do think that the 10 and the 12 are pretty much a toss up, especially when looking at the obverse only and the "Liberty" letters. However, I do think the reverse of the 12 is a little better. I also think the 15 beats out both for the same reason, it just may be tougher to see in the photo because of the woodgrain toning. The one that I'd like to replace most is the G06 because of the reverse scrapes/marks that reveal the red copper. If I were sending that in I would expect a body bag for that, but that's the only G06 I found so far and it wasn't too expensive.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you sought professional help for your afflictionimage

Maybe you should try a die variety set.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!!image
    Becky
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic,

Although, that VG10 had a pretty strong liberty beating the 2 or 3 grades above it.

Looks to be missing a few grades too. image
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really great idea, and so helpful in learning how to grade Indian cents. If you have you're own website, you should post it there too! You're right about not being able to find low grade common dates such as 1909 in PCGS holders. You would probably have to slab them yourselves, which would get a little expensive. By the way, I am a dealer and specialized in Indian cents, and happen to have almost a complete grading set (not all in PCGS holders) of 1877 Indian cents from FR2 through VF35. I tried to get a PCGS PO1 on Ebay but was out bid on it. When I set up at shows, I stand them up on little holder stands in my case and they ususally attract a lot of attention. Any way, congratulations on putting this together!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    image ThePennylady

Cool idea illini420. I like the set. How long did this take to put together?
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool. I think, like some of the others, that the VG10 and the F12 should be flip-flopped. I think the VG10 is the stronger coin here.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice set! Is the "LIBERTY" weakly struck for this date? (I ask because some of the grades at the low end look higher than I would expect.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Nice group of coins! (I know a guy in China who can add the “VDB” letters if you want….)
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the great comments, I appreciate it. Will try to respond to the questions/comments:

<< <i>Have you sought professional help for your afflictionimage

Maybe you should try a die variety set. >>

Well I could do the set based on mint mark placement image Check out the VF35 and XF45, they got a little wild placing those image

<< <i>Fantastic,

Although, that VG10 had a pretty strong liberty beating the 2 or 3 grades above it.

Looks to be missing a few grades too. >>

<< <i>Pretty cool. I think, like some of the others, that the VG10 and the F12 should be flip-flopped. I think the VG10 is the stronger coin here. >>

Based on just looking at the "Liberty" the VG10 is pretty strong and a little stronger than the F12, however, I think the reverse of the VG10 coin is a little more worn in comparison, perhaps some net grading going on there?? Also, the F15 is actually a little stronger than it looks given the wood-grain finish, just a little misleading.

Still searching for the rest of the grades image

<< <i>Cool idea illini420. I like the set. How long did this take to put together? >>

Just about 6 months so far. I had a couple of them already, but decided to do the grading set around October 2008.

<< <i>Nice set! Is the "LIBERTY" weakly struck for this date? (I ask because some of the grades at the low end look higher than I would expect.) >>

Not sure if the Liberty is weak on this date, but I do believe that the feather tips can be pretty weak on the higher grades compared to other dates. Perhaps one of the IHC experts can be of more assistance in this regard?

<< <i>This is a really great idea, and so helpful in learning how to grade Indian cents. ... By the way, I am a dealer and specialized in Indian cents, and happen to have almost a complete grading set (not all in PCGS holders) of 1877 Indian cents from FR2 through VF35 ... Any way, congratulations on putting this together! >>

First, welcome to the Forum image The set has been pretty helpful so far and have learned a bit in trying to assemble it. I've seen your 1877s and that is a pretty impressive run. Just a bit more costly of a key date there image Eventually, I hope to finish my set out through MS66RD, but I'm working on the lower grades first as most of the higher grades seem to be available more often.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb . .and thanks for posting!

Drunner
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Very nice image

The VF30 used to be mine. I'm glad it found a good home. Here's my pic of it

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought there were a few wrong grades. You really can't grade by what is on the holder on circ Indians, The TPG's are all over the place on these.
    The VG-10 looked more like a F-15.
    The F-15 looks like a VF-20.
    The VF-25 looks like a VF-20.
    The XF-45 looked like a VF-30
    The AU-55 looked like a XF-40.

Of course, I'm using standards based on actual wear, not market grading: Found here (pdf file)

Oh, BTW, image Charmy! See you in Portland!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on starting this new PCGS set... It's gonna be a big challenge to assemble a complete grading set.
    I think the tough ones will be the lower grades like P01 - AG03. I currently have one in a PCGS AU50 holder, and one that is raw that grades XF40/45.
    Good luck with this set...
    And welcome Charmy "The pennylady to these boards...image
  • Options
    Bump in case you missed it last week image

tombr, i like your pic of the VF30 a little better image

Also, the file posted by EagleEye should be required reading for any IHC collector; it's a great resource!!! image

I agree that a couple of the coins could be graded differently by a point or two... however, I do think it's odd that most resources on grading IHC's are almost strictly limited to the detail of "Liberty." For example, in looking at the Liberty, the VG10 does look stronger than the F12. However, I think the reverse should count for something as well (it's half the coin image). The reverse of the VG10 does seem more worn than the F12 (looking at the shield wear shows it somewhat).

Thanks again everyone image
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If going by the "old school" grading, which is heavily dependent on a readable LIBERTY, I can understand the differing opinions between the VG10 and F12.
    But as I see it, the F12 has a more three dimensional portrait. The VG10 has more obvious flat points. I like the way PCGS grades circulated Indian cents, because they do not base everything on the overly simplistic LIBERTY criteria.
    The same is true for Liberty Nickels and other Barber coins.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set and a great idea, illini! And I've saved Rick Snow's grading guide for reference, it's excellent reading. Thanks to you both.
  • Options
    Added an MS64RB this weekend.

Thanks to Andy of Angel Dee's for pointing it out to me imageimage
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i found it interesting that a G04 still has visible rims all the way around, both obv and rev.

this same standard does not apply to lib half eagles.

i find eagleeye's comments very interesting and thought something
    was quite odd looking through them in the VG to AU
  • Options

<< <i>i found it interesting that a G04 still has visible rims all the way around, both obv and rev.

this same standard does not apply to lib half eagles.
    >>

Definitely seems to be a different standard regarding the rims... Just look at the vast difference in the detail left on the rims/denticles on the G04 vs. the G06.

• Options
    As an IHC collector/lover I see that none in your set have the typical improper metal mixture (streaking). Do you consider this a negative? Mine also has the planchet errors. I found it interesting... kind of like war paint but I may be biased. I'm curious what your opinion is about this coin:

It's on ebay with bids so it's gone but would like to know your opinion for future purchases.

Lestrrr
  • Options
    very nice ........image
  • Options

<< <i>As an IHC collector/lover I see that none in your set have the typical improper metal mixture (streaking). Do you consider this a negative? Mine also has the planchet errors. I found it interesting... kind of like war paint but I may be biased. I'm curious what your opinion is about this coin:

Lestrrr >>

Actually, the F15 example I have above has a very nice woodgrain streaking to it. I don't necessarily consider a woodgrain or streaky look negative as that is how they came from the Mint. But all else equal, I'd rather have an example that isn't streaky, just they way I like them I guess image
  • Options
    Thank you for your response/opinion.

I'm kind of mixed on this subject. I like the look but would probably prefer a clean look for my set.

BTW - I didn't mean to hijack your thread or kill it, totally unintentional. I was admiring your coins and pics and thought I would ask for your opinion. On that note... Very nice work on the set!

Lestrrr
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I don't know how I missed this thread when it was first posted. Very well done, Mike. image
  • Options
    Great set there!
  • Options
    Added several new examples to the set since the last bump including the XF40, AU50 (thanks robkool!!!), AU53, MS62BN, MS63RD and the three Genuine coins. Haven't been able to upload the new pics to the PCGS Registry yet though as the site isn't working properly. Hope you enjoy!!!

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful, thanks for posting, Missed it the first time around. Love that wood grain toning on the 63RD

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Great project that you are working on illini420. I hope you don't mind me posting the 1908-S
    that I recently purchased...

Raw, VF30ish...

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    That's a pretty sweet looking 1908-S IHC, OneCent image
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    I love the look of the 62 brn.
  • Options
    Nice set, and a great year to boot.image
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for continuing to share a very educational thread.

I can't help but notice that the Cubs lost 11-2 today...I wanted to cheer you up, but facts are facts. image

Very Positive BST Experience with: guitarwes, ibzman350, jmcu12, Bamafan27, OnlyGoldIsMoney
    Reference: Coin Links
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I think the AU-50 is the nicest looking coin of the lot.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set! Thanks for bumping it I must've missed it before.

• Options
    Mike, these old coins are nice and all --- but the real question is do you have any 2009 Lincoln varieties? image
    Very Positive BST Experience with: guitarwes, ibzman350, jmcu12, Bamafan27, OnlyGoldIsMoney
    Reference: Coin Links
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭
    That is one nice set! Thank you for sharing.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, these old coins are nice and all --- but the real question is do you have any 2009 Lincoln varieties? image >>

image At least you were kind enough to say "2009" and not just '09. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten excited to open an '09 thread to see some nice 1909 Lincolns, only to be let down image

Thanks everyone for all of the comments. The AU50 is a very nice coin which I got from forum member "robkool" who was kool enough to make it available to me. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file