Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Napkin toned ASE for 1 year! UPDATED PICS POSTED!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
So I took some toilet paper (unused mind you as I know many of you will ask) image and wrapped an ASE in it and put it on a sunny window sill. Here are the results after a year. I had been checking it periodically and flipping it every now and then. I will leave it in the window for a while longer. How do you like the toning so far?

imageimage

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Mine was not wrapped, just sits inside my coin cabinet.

• Options
    Coin cabinet?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the blue and could do without the rest.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the blue and could do without the rest. >>

If I remember correctly from Sunnywood's post, the other tones are necessary to produce the blue tone.

I think. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Education sometimes requires dissection in simple terms for some to understand what's going on inside.

in whitmans, raymonds, harris and such: some do, some don't.
    in bags, envelopes, cabinets and attics and unstable temperatures: several do, few won't.
    in OBW, Tubes, where cool and dry : practically none do. I can't say virtually none do, because of end roll exposure to the environment.

Depending on where yours sit will determine what, when, how, & why yours do.
    The prices paid have almost converted me to start eating at Taco Bell image

• Options
    Hum interesting
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Education sometimes requires dissection in simple terms for some to understand what's going on inside.

in whitmans, raymonds, harris and such: some do, some don't.
    in bags, envelopes, cabinets and attics and unstable temperatures: several do, few won't.
    in OBW, Tubes, where cool and dry : practically none do. I can't say virtually none do, because of end roll exposure to the environment.

Depending on where yours sit will determine what, when, how, & why yours do.

Well put! image

• Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803

<< <i>How do you like the toning so far? >>

"Charmin" image
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Great for the AT fans. Not my taste.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT, yes, but I bet PCGS would still slab it. They slab pretty much any crazily toned ASE...AT and NT.

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Sulfur and heat are the keys to tarnishing silver. Moreso sulfur than heat.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the patchy areas where it did not tone are the areas where milk spots would form given the correct environment.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the patchy areas where it did not tone are the areas where milk spots would form given the correct environment. >>

Most of the time, from my experience seeing these tone, the answer is yes.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    so if i take an ASE and leave it in my china cabinet for a year and it tones,is that AT or NT?
    figglehorn
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>so if i take an ASE and leave it in my china cabinet for a year and it tones,is that AT or NT? >>

NT

If you give the coin a chemical bath or exposure to certain gasses for 5 minutes... AT.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so if i take an ASE and leave it in my china cabinet for a year and it tones,is that AT or NT? >>

If you "wish" it tones, and then it does it is AT. If you "wish" it doesn't tone, and then it tones anyway it's NT.

Am I right, or am I right...or am I right?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    what colors might it have turned if Ankur wrapped it in a USED Toilet paper? imageimageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I have those old style radiators in my house, in early January I wrapped a bunch of cheap BU Morgans (The usual $25-30 raw ones) in Taco bell napkins and some Nordstrom Tissue Paper and threw then between the radiator tubes or whatever they are called.

I used the one in my bathroom as I figure it's always humid in there with showers..etc. They are now toned gold all over for the most part, light golden toning.. so we'll see if they get any color.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks good to me !!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

NT

If you give the coin a chemical bath or exposure to certain gasses for 5 minutes... AT. >>

What if the china cabinet has gasses? Is it N/AT. Also, what about unnatural gasses for 4 minutes and 30 seconds?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    UPDATE! New current pics below. Turning out nice!!

imageimage

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    I think I liked it better in March. Maybe you could dip it and start again, all in the interests of science you understand.image
  • Options

<< <i>what colors might it have turned if Ankur wrapped it in a USED Toilet paper? imageimageimage >>

Alex, What is "crusty?"
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i liked the first picture better.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that just laid on a napkin in a sunny window sill for about a year.

edit to add rev. pic
    Trade $'s
  • Options

<< <i>what colors might it have turned if Ankur wrapped it in a USED Toilet paper? imageimageimage >>

Never mind.
    Tony Barreca

"Question your assumptions."
    "Intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation."
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. You baked it too long.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I agree with those that thought it looked better in March.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file