Home Metal Detecting

So would you have wanted to hunt this area? Times Beach

Saw the history channel today about the place (info about site, sad story, but reading about it once having been a summer tourist spot in the 20's and Route 66 stop and seeing all that dirt being moved....made me think of all those coins that probably got burnt up when they cleaned the site up- today its a state park I guess.

Health issues, hmn.... the guy in the show did stick his finger in the stuff and lick it- he's still alive today.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...nasty history... reminds me of Love Canal... Cheers, RickO
  • Actually, I've been there. I use to live on the west side of St. Louis. It's a great park - lots of trails. Almost every weekend when I was out there riding my bike, there was someone using a detector. I'm sure it's been hunted to death, but you never know.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • As a kid I lived 5 miles upstream from Times Beach. Watched the entire deal unfold over the years. Had personal connections and it impacted who I am.

Re: the metal detecting, the area just west of there was a major trading/migration route for many many years. The old state route between STL and the capital ran through there, replacing what had been fur routes, replacing indian trails.

Given the traffic, the history, and the amount of places to hide booty (limestone caves called grottoes) I suspect a fair amount of treasure still lies in the general area, if not Times Beach proper. Many nice places to explore; also a very pretty area (too bad the weather stinks half the year).
    www.CoinMine.com