Options

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Comments

• Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Interesting anology
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is correct that the 2012 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards will be vintage (pre-1981) only. And considering that the publisher no longer has a modern card cataloger/price guide guy on staff, it is unlikely that the company will ever produce another post-1980 catalog. >>

Wow, that is unfortunate. It's not like there is a whole lot of new pre 1980 stuff being found at this point. Sounds like a one man operation with no new info. I wish they would also incorporate a pre 1980 alphabetical player list. I don't even think BEckett is making a new player checklist anymore.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    I have been reading this forum off and on for the better part of its existance, but this is the first time I have felt the urge to post. I don't have a lot of information to add, which is probably not surprising, but I have a couple questions to ask.

1. To all of you that have one of these Frank Thomas NNOF in your posession, do they all have a very small portion of the "F" in the blue name block, and the top right portion of the "S" in "Topps" and the (R)?

2. I just began my hunt for one of these cards. I am not interested in buing one outright. The search is more fun for me. I am now 30 boxes deep into my search, with a unopened case on its way. Are there any indications that I might find one of these cards prior to opening the case?

I really appreciate this forum, and am amazed at all of your dedication to this great find.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had one of those and decided I wanted mine to have a name on the front image

image >>

Mike, did you sell it? Nice grade by the way...I wouldn't have guess that!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Mike, did you sell it? Nice grade by the way...I wouldn't have guess that! >>

Nope, I didn't sell it. I don't sell my signed rookies unless I have duplicates, by wanting one with a name on front, I was talking about the graph image

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Good stuff, looks great in that slab.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been reading this forum off and on for the better part of its existance, but this is the first time I have felt the urge to post. I don't have a lot of information to add, which is probably not surprising, but I have a couple questions to ask.

1. To all of you that have one of these Frank Thomas NNOF in your posession, do they all have a very small portion of the "F" in the blue name block, and the top right portion of the "S" in "Topps" and the (R)?

2. I just began my hunt for one of these cards. I am not interested in buing one outright. The search is more fun for me. I am now 30 boxes deep into my search, with a unopened case on its way. Are there any indications that I might find one of these cards prior to opening the case?

I really appreciate this forum, and am amazed at all of your dedication to this great find. >>

The NNOF cards do show part of the S in the Topps logo. I pulled my NNOF Thomas cards from retail wax packs.
  • Options
    gigfygigfy Posts: 35 ✭✭

<< <i>I have been reading this forum off and on for the better part of its existance, but this is the first time I have felt the urge to post. I don't have a lot of information to add, which is probably not surprising, but I have a couple questions to ask.

1. To all of you that have one of these Frank Thomas NNOF in your posession, do they all have a very small portion of the "F" in the blue name block, and the top right portion of the "S" in "Topps" and the (R)? >>

Yes, I think mine does.

cheers
  • Options
    gigfygigfy Posts: 35 ✭✭

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, what is the population of BGS 8.5's or better. I checked PSA today and there are still only 18 graded at PSA 9. And IIRC the PSA 10 was a blank back? >>

Don't know if this is accurate or not but found it on eBay. So it must be correct! :-)

(0) BGS 10
    (0) BGS 9.5
    (4) BGS 9
    (21) BGS 8.5

seller: jlklemp
    listing: BGS 8.5 - NNOF

Edit: Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Found this Pop report from March, 2009 so it looks like 4 more BGS 8.5's have been identified in the last 3 years.

BGS Pop Report
    BGS 3.5 ... 1
    BGS 5 ...... 4
    BGS 5.5 ... 1
    BGS 6 ...... 1
    BGS 6.5 ... 3
    BGS 7.5 ... 5
    BGS 8 ...... 6
    BGS 8.5 ... 17
    BGS 9 ...... 4
    Total 42

cheers,
    gigfy
  • Options
    Looking at the different pictures of this card, I see some that have a small portion of black ink inside the light blue box (around where the bottom left corner of the "F" in Frank Thomas would be), and some that do not.

Update on my search... As expected, I am one case down, and 11 other unopened boxes into this, and I have not found anything of note except a smudge of black ink on the Ricky Horton card on the "N" in his name...

There was a lot number or something on the case. "120101" I have noticed a case on eBay that has the number "111403" on the side. Anybody have any idea what this number is, and if the lower the number, the more likely of finding one of these cards in the case?
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at the different pictures of this card, I see some that have a small portion of black ink inside the light blue box (around where the bottom left corner of the "F" in Frank Thomas would be), and some that do not.

Update on my search... As expected, I am one case down, and 11 other unopened boxes into this, and I have not found anything of note except a smudge of black ink on the Ricky Horton card on the "N" in his name...

There was a lot number or something on the case. "120101" I have noticed a case on eBay that has the number "111403" on the side. Anybody have any idea what this number is, and if the lower the number, the more likely of finding one of these cards in the case? >>

Your "mission" sounds a lot like the one I was on a few years ago - trying various cases trying to pull a NNOF Thomas. Based on the fact that there were not many printed and that I pulled mine from a retail wax case( and GIGFY remembers pulling his from a pack he bought from a grocery store), chances are that is the only product that would have contained them. Although if there were other types of packaging taking place at the same time in the same area of the factory, you never know. I also have been trying to figure out (with no luck) exactly what those 6 digit numbers mean on the outside of the old Topps wax/cello/vending/set cases. And if similar numbering on different types of cases means anything.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    BGS 4 Frank Thomas NNOF went for $761

Up Arrows
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Is this Thomas worth anything?

LINK
  • Options
    73 PSA 8's( I got the last one at auction)

18 PSA 9's

1 PSA 10

Does the 10 get Ozzie Smith type attention?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options

<< <i>73 PSA 8's( I got the last one at auction)

18 PSA 9's

1 PSA 10

Does the 10 get Ozzie Smith type attention? >>

I believe its discussed in this thread somewhere but the 1 PSA 10 is actually a mislable by PSA. It is the normal card.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>73 PSA 8's( I got the last one at auction)

18 PSA 9's

1 PSA 10

Does the 10 get Ozzie Smith type attention? >>

I believe its discussed in this thread somewhere but the 1 PSA 10 is actually a mislable by PSA. It is the normal card. >>

The PSA 10 NNOF Thomas card does exist. Dmitri Young owned it and it is up for sale in the upcoming SCP auction:

Link

As far as the question of whether it will get 1979 Topps Ozzie Smith attention, I think it will sell for even more than the recent Ozzie that sold for $20, 000.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been noticing this card really picking up steam in the past year and I would expect it to bring a very strong number for sure.

What is especially interesting to me is the folks at SCP I think agree with Rookie Wax. If you look at many of the cards featured in this auction, many have relatively low opening bids. In the first three pages of the auction preview there are just a handful of cards with an opening bid of $3,000 or higher. Many of these cards have sold for large amounts in the past. The Rickey Henderson and Ozzie Smith PSA 10's have a $2,000 opening bid. It appears to me that many have an opening bid of approximately 10% of recent selling prices or projected one's.

With this card being the cornerstone of a modern card collection I could see this card bringing a shocking number especially with the 1/1 designation. If a few of the deeper pocket collectors really want this card it is going to go nuts for sure.

This one will be fun to watch.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    8-12 K for that
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options

<< <i>There isn't actually a PSA 10 NNOF. It was a regular RC that was labeled as a NNOF. Mechanical error that we want to try to get off the registry. >>

Back on Page 36

Ross knows his Frank Thomas so if one does exists it came along very recently.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>Is this Thomas worth anything?

LINK >>

I swear this link went to the PSA NNOF when I posted it. Back me up Mike!!!!!

jbox
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    << There isn't actually a PSA 10 NNOF. It was a regular RC that was labeled as a NNOF. Mechanical error that we want to try to get off the registry. >>

Yes there is a PSA 10 NNOF that is a regular name on front card out there that is an mechanical error I know me and Ross believed that this card was the PSA 10 NNOF Pop 1.
    I have no idea were this card came from but I can say looking at the back of that card with the way the black is bleeding and running there is no way that should be a PSA 10
    a PSA 8 at best.

James
  • Options
    The DY PSA 10 was unveiled at the National in 2010 if I remember correctly. When I posted that, there was no actual 10 on the pop report. It made me happy though because I think my 9 is just as nice.
  • Options

<< <i><< There isn't actually a PSA 10 NNOF. It was a regular RC that was labeled as a NNOF. Mechanical error that we want to try to get off the registry. >>

Yes there is a PSA 10 NNOF that is a regular name on front card out there that is an mechanical error I know me and Ross believed that this card was the PSA 10 NNOF Pop 1.
    I have no idea were this card came from but I can say looking at the back of that card with the way the black is bleeding and running there is no way that should be a PSA 10
    a PSA 8 at best.

James >>

AGREE!!!! Also, the bottom right corner is pretty weak for a 10. Someone is going to overpay for the label here because I know there are nicer PSA 9's out there for sure.

jbox
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    That is definitely one ugly 10!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is this Thomas worth anything?

LINK >>

I swear this link went to the PSA NNOF when I posted it. Back me up Mike!!!!!

jbox >>

It does. The label doesn't say it because it has Dimitri Young Collection instead listed. But it is a NNOF.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    If any of us submitted that card we'd be lucky to have an 8.5

2 imperfect corners and centering that is consistent with cards that are in 9 slabs.

This favor from PSA directly translate to a 10 grand payment to Dmitri
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Does anyone know who won the "PSA 10" NNOF?

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know who won the "PSA 10" NNOF? >>

A member on CU, but I forget who.
  • Options

Finally got around to finishing this (the image that is) - still looking for Magrane, Acker, Jackson, Tapani and Lawton
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like pitcher Brandon McCarthy got a Thomas NNOF card for Christmas

McCarthy Linky
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Not a modern guy, but I came across this thread and found it really awesome, so instead of loading up on lottery tickets I thought it would be more fun if I bought a sealed wax case. the case came from a guy in New Jersey (I read earlier in the thread that supposedly most of the NNOFs came from eastern Ohio/PA/NY/NJ area. I plan on ripping at some point and looking for the other blackless cards as well as they also seem to be in demand..Wish me luck!
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Not a modern guy, but I came across this thread and found it really awesome, so instead of loading up on lottery tickets I thought it would be more fun if I bought a sealed wax case. the case came from a guy in New Jersey (I read earlier in the thread that supposedly most of the NNOFs came from eastern Ohio/PA/NY/NJ area. I plan on ripping at some point and looking for the other blackless cards as well as they also seem to be in demand..Wish me luck! >>

Good luck with the rip. Until recently, I was nearly convinced that the 1990 Topps blackless errors only made their way into the retail wax packs. But a few months ago I pulled a No Name Thomas card and 5 of the other blackless errors from a regular 36 pack wax box (the green box with Griffey on the front). That box did not contain any non-errors (all potential errors were indeed errors). I also started to open a second box from the same purchase and pulled another of the blackless cards after opening 6 packs. The remaining 30 packs in that box will remain sealed in my safety deposit box.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magrane AS Partial Blackless

One for sale, but doesn't look like the blackless Magrane on page 29 of this thread (more black should be missing from the upper right corner).
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    So, is this true? The NNO could be in the test packages? Look at this guys auction.

unopened test package box.
  • Options
    He's taking creative liberty with his description, there's no evidence to support his claims...otherwise it would have sold ages ago.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldnt have sold.
    He would have opened it.
    500(house) vs 2000+ the house is losing at those odds.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the seller is trying to be cute. I made the mistake of buying two of their packs for $24.99/ea and I had to open a case to get my money back. I knew there were no Thomas NNOF in those packs but I thought the listings were for boxes since those Michigan boxes usually sell for around $25 and they had pictures of boxes (not packs) in the listings. They basically stopped responding to my messages and forced me to open a paypal case. I wouldn't buy a cup of water off them if my beanbag was on fire.
  • Options

THESE are the only 1990 Topps Error Packs that exist as far as I know.

• Options
    If I buy a box, or even a case of these cards, how can I tell if it came from the Northeast region?
  • Options
    You can't. Anyone claiming they have unopened product guaranteed to include the blackless cards is trying to scam you.
  • Options

<< <i>THESE are the only 1990 Topps Error Packs that exist as far as I know.

image >>

I will pay double what BBCE is selling their boxes for!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>THESE are the only 1990 Topps Error Packs that exist as far as I know.

image >>

I will pay double what BBCE is selling their boxes for! >>

The packs I've had since my childhood look like those, & the ones I saw on ebay the seller is from Delaware and they too look like those in the pic. So there is NO WAY of looking at the packs or boxes and knowing where they came from?
  • Options
    That partial box of error packs ( which may be the only ones in existence) is not for sale. However, if I were to ever sell it to someone who would be interested in opening the packs, I can guarantee that it contains the Blackless errors.
  • Options
    There's no regional-specific info in the Topps product code, so no. No way. With a card like the Thomas and the money it brings, I have no doubt that people will try to tell you that there's a way but there isn't. Caveat emptor.
  • Options

<< <i>That partial box of error packs ( which may be the only ones in existence) is not for sale. However, if I were to ever sell it to someone who would be interested in opening the packs, I can guarantee that it contains the Blackless errors. >>

No, you can't.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Oh, let him go ahead Reggie.

Is it a money back guarantee ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That partial box of error packs ( which may be the only ones in existence) is not for sale. However, if I were to ever sell it to someone who would be interested in opening the packs, I can guarantee that it contains the Blackless errors. >>

No, you can't. >>

If you open the first pack of a 1990 Topps box and it contains blackless variations, is it not safe to assume there will be more in that box?
  • Options
    Not according to RookieWax, who pulled both blackless and non-blackless from the same source.
  • Options
    It's extremely likely the box contains a bevy of blackless cards; its sister box did and a small sample from the box itself did. That said, it is more likely that the box will sell for maximum value with its contents exposed, rather than as an unopened source. Theoretically, it could hold $10k to even $50k worth of cards if the right number of high grade NNOFs came from the stock; but I doubt anyone would be willing to take more than a $5k gamble on that.