Home Metal Detecting

deepest coin ever...

What do you think the deepest coin in the world is...do you think that there's some ancient coin lying on a fault line working its way down year after year and is now several miles down? Will there ever be a metal detector powerful enough to find it?

In all seriousness...what was the deepest coin you've found and how deep was it?
imageimageimage

Comments

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thought. I would imagine it IS possible, especially considering some of the major earthquakes that have hit the Hellenistic world, as well as the Roman Empire. They very well could have fallen down a hole when they were new, and could be lying in wait for the distant future!

I have never actually done any metal detecting, so I guess the deepest I have found would be under a leaf. (I just like reading the stories and seeing the things people find!)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I'm still digging, haven't reached it yet.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    However, I did find a toy gun at 14" using my new Ace 250 (when it was new). I had the sensitivity knob turned to it's fullest and kept digging until I found it. I don't reccommend setting the sensitivity that high because it locates evrything that even slighty resembles metal. I just didn't know any better then.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins could be at any depth.... things change, buildings torn down, ground removed/replaced, explosions, etc.... there is no good answer to the question. Cheers, RickO
  • Here's my deepest so far...about 12" down...I was searching in all metal mode....Garrett with a 10" coil. Lord Marcovan was with me when I found it..

1820 Capped Dime

• dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    There are some mines 2 miles deep.
    If someone lost a coin?
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    If you tossed a coin into a bottomless pit..........
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also sure there were coins in Atlantis.... Cheers, RickO
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The deepest so far for me is about 5", but I have the sensor set to not even go that deep. BTW it was a 1958 cent and it was even under a tree root. Yesterday I dug out a quarter that was about 3" down in the same vicinity, I am a newbie to the TH hobby, so this is progress for me.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I dug a Mercury dime at 9 inches. I was using my Tesoro DeLeon.
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Indian head penny: Dug @ 9 Inches, Fisher CZ3D

PURPLE!