on the front left of all the presses??

What are in all those three legged buckets
in back of the guys??

What is the grate looking thing on the lower
left of the press??

And what are those two people in the very
back, against the wall, doing?? image

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a shot at it since I worked in a metal stamping pressroom in the '70's.

The funnel shaped things do in fact look like loading hoppers - it would make sense to have them up higher so the planchets would gravity feed toward the mechanism that feeds them into the coining chamber.

One cart likely has blank planchets and the other finished coins in the tote pans. Each pan would be somewhat heavy if full so this was a common way to handle small parts. We used one cubic foot tote pans in our shop but usually couldn't fill them very full with steel or brass stampings.

The water fountain looking things are a bit of a mystery to me as they look far more decorative than I would have expected. I would assume that these were used to catch the fresh coins and served as a buffer. The operator would look at the coins in the buffer when full to insure good quality. If good, they could open the hinged side door and transfer them to a tote pan. This doesn't look quite right in the photo, but it is the process we used in the 'old days' to avoid mixing bad parts with known good parts.

I have no clue what the 3 legged buckets are - too bad we aren't any closer.

The grate on the lower left could be a couple of things. First, it looks like a simple guard to prevent the operator from getting too close to a pinch point. I could also see it being used as a crude separator for oversize/undersize planchets, but I don't think so.

The two people sitting by the wall must be the supervisors.image

There you go based on my experience from 50 years later than that photo.

edited for spelling

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Calling DC ...

Are you here, sir?

(He would know, for sure!)

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Thanks Cameonut. It all seems logical to me.
    And I should have guessed that the two
    people in the back, not doing anything, must
    be supervisors.

Yeah Staircoins, I didn't even think about
    Daniel. He may know about all this stuff.

And cool token, Stefanie!! The press looks
    a lot like the ones in the picture. It just
    means you'll have to buy another one!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't add more than a pic of one of my medals showing an old steam press
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    can anyone tell what denomination they`re minting?
    walkers maybe? or smaller,maybe quarters or nickles?
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    This is a fairly common stereoview image made by Keystone shortly after the third US Mint building was completed in 1903. They sell between $25-35 on ebay.

If you really have an interest in the third Mint, there are many more images about the equipment and machinery that was installed around the turn of the 20th century, in the James R Young book about the Mint that came out in 1903.

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, lots of presses there!
    Nice to see that some of the old stuff still exists and has not been scrapped out yet!
    Here's the CC's #1 press being operated by Bob Nylen and Ken Hopple making CC
    tokens. Taken in Aug 2007. Their coin show this year, by the way, is Aug 21 & 22.
    This can be seen at the Museum in Carson City (the old Mint bldg).
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    More info on COIN PRESS NO. 1

Built: 1869

Maker: Morgan & Orr, Philadelphia, PA

Weight: 12,000 pounds

Production capability: 1869 - 1,500 coins per hour

Today: 1 medal takes 10 seconds to strike

Striking pressure: 1869 - 200 tons

Today: 200 tons

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Pictures that appeared in LIFE magazine of gold bar production at the US MINT

Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    blue594blue594 Posts: 550
    It looks like one of the trays, like on the cart, is under the grate on the lower left.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    This might help a little. I suspect this photo was taken in 1910 or a bit later (please correct me if there’s an earlier date on the stereoscope set.).

Starting with the background and moving forward:
    1. The large door at the back, right, led to the Melting & Refining Department and the upsetting mill. Two men standing to the left of the door are probably laborers who moved the carts of coin bins on and off the press room floor. (They were the lowest paid male employees.)
    2. The man (white shirt) sitting at the desk with his back to the room is probably the assistant coiner. (The coiner had a separate office.) To his back is a large beam balance used to weigh the bins of blanks and coins.
    3. In front of the laborers are carts with coin bins stacked on them. The bins contain planchets. Struck coins were removed quickly. (I think the carts were color coded – blue for planchets and red for struck coins.)
    4. Left side. Nine coin presses of the Uhlhorn-type (probably made by Morgan & Orr or Ferracute). These were all electrically driven.
    5. Above each press are lights for general illumination. Hanging over the front of each press is a work light to make it easier to see key parts of the equipment.
    6. At the front of each press is a conical hopper filled with planchets. (Invented by A Leslie Lambert in 1909.) The workman closest the camera is filling a hopper with planchets using a scoop. (The press room was very noisy, yet the workers have no hearing or eye protection. Longtime pressmen were nearly all deaf, and quite a few were missing a finger or parts of one.)
    7. The rope-like apparatus (made of rubber) at the side and front of the closest press is a “jiggler” which wiggles the hopper so that coins flow into the press’ feeder tube by gravity. The silver piece of metal over which the rubber rope passes is spring-loaded so it moves as the rubber moves and helps prevent excess wear on the rubber.
    8. Behind the press is a 12 HP electric motor to run the press.
    9. The 12 bins on the cart in the center foreground appear to contain planchets. The cart in the right foreground probably contains struck coins.
    10. The thing that looks like a bathroom sink (center, foreground) is probably a die and tool holder. It kept necessary parts readily available but out of the way.
    11. Lower left, ejected coins fall onto a “riddler” which separated out many of the defective strikes. A removable bin under the riddler collected the good coins. The pressman used the small box below the receiving bin to hold rejects.
    12. (I don’t know what the cup attached to the long rod was for.)
    13. The circular containers with tripod legs were collecting bins for defective coins. The workmen came around once or twice a day and emptied them in the M&R Department for melting.

I'm probably wrong on some points so please correct....!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Very informative post - thanks to the OP, Cameonut & RWB (and others, for your pics & tokens!).

I remain puzzled by the cups on the end of the long handles. The fact that they are hanging in the same position on both of the nearest presses makes me think that the sink-like objects may indeed be basins of some sort. I can't see the need for a container of this size & shape to hold tools & dies, but it makes perfect sense if it were needed to hold some kind of liquid - which fits with the long-handled cup.

The cup is obviously not an oiler (I don't think). Would there have been a need to rinse or quench something periodically, perhaps?

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we are doing a pretty good job of piecing the info together on this pressroom. Let's keep it up!

I didn't notice the cup on the end of the long handle - it intrigues me as well. Clearly it is not used to add planchets to the hopper as the operator is using a scoop to do that in the photo. My first thought was this might be used to catch a sample off a new set of dies. You may not have the exit chutes in place during a die change and you sure wouldn't want to put your hands anywhere near the dies for fear of losing a finger or two. But the angle on the cup vs the handle doesn't look quite right and the handle is awful long for that purpose.

It seems like it was designed to do something at floor level - but I don't see anything that might make sense. I can't imagine anything that would need to be quenched - rinsed maybe. The lubrication of the equipment is accomplished by the oil chambers mounted on top of the press plus the two that are visible between the spokes of the flywheel. I don't see any evidence of lubricating the planchets before or during striking. If you don't put lube on the planchets, you don't usually have to worry about removing anything after striking. We used to use a water soluble oil and applied it to the strips of metal we were stamping - it was easily rinsed off after stamping.

I now see another tool that would have been used alot. There is a set of tongs hanging on the pedestal just to the right of the cup with the handle on it. These would have been used to remove debris or anything else in the press to keep your hands out of harms way. You would always want these nearby.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apropos the cup on the stick:

Long shot: How were the assay coins selected during a long press run? Is there any possibility that the cup was used at the appropriate interval to reach behind the press and catch a coin and then deposit it in a receptical without contaminating it by human contact? Might the small square box on the base of the press be that receptical?

Or, as a longer shot, might the cup be used to catch the startup coins that are too weakly struck to issue?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Great reading folks!!

I had not noticed the long handled cup on the water
    fountain looking thing either.

I'll bet it WAS loud as crap in there. It looks like there
    are 10 presses in that line, and if they're all running
    at the same time, yowee!!

~

• Options
    Before the automatic hoppers were invented, each press required one workman to feed blanks into the supply tube. After it came into use in 1910, one man could keep 2-3 presses running.

Planchets were lightly oiled before they were delivered to the pressroom.

Special assay and Assay Commission coins were taken from bins of good coin after acceptance by the coiner, so I don’t think the long handled cup was used for collecting specimens in the pressroom. The item must have been used regularly since there’s one with each press and it’s in a convenient location…..hmmmm.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Have those gold bricks collapsed in their centers??
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Water fountain & Long handled cup.

According to grandpa ..... at the turn of the century, any machinery that had a flywheel often times had

belt[s] made of leather. As the machine ran, it was necessary to wet the belts every so often. NOT

wanting to turn the machine off or reach into it, a long handled cup was the safe way to do it!

Gramps did not work at the mint so I don't know if this is applicable here....butttt seeing

the size of the flywheel on the press closest to us......
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    Some facts about the second floor coining room at the third Philadelphia Mint building -

There were 25 coining presses in the large, west facing room. Ten new coining presses were purchased for the new US Mint building from Philadelphia maker T. C. Dill Machine Co., Inc., who also supplied two rolling mills.

Blank planchets were stored in the oblong bowl on the top of the pedestal. The stamped coins ejected downwards into a can (collector box) under the press. It wasn't the little can on the end of the "stick" which may have been used as an emergency shut down foot switch (in case of jammed ejection or stuck planchets) by the operator. There were both men and women operating these presses. Usually, they sat on tall, wooden chairs.

As RWB pointed out, the hoppers for blank planchets was invented in 1909, so that's why the floor mounted oblong bowls are empty in the image which would most likely date to 1910 or a bit later. There is an earlier image of a woman sitting at a press, holding blanks in one hand while feeding the tube with the other. This picture (in the Young book) shows the oblong bowl full of blanks.

IIRC, there is a similar image from Harpers back from the 1860's, and I have other steroeviews (in my Henry Voigt book) showing the same thing.

edited to add - The gold bars often showed depressions in the centers due to cooling.
  • Options
    ........Have those gold bricks collapsed in their centers?? .......

Yes..... they must have been poured VERY hot!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options

<< <i>Water fountain & Long handled cup.

According to grandpa ..... at the turn of the century, any machinery that had a flywheel often times had

belt[s] made of leather. As the machine ran, it was necessary to wet the belts every so often. NOT

wanting to turn the machine off or reach into it, a long handled cup was the safe way to do it!

Gramps did not work at the mint so I don't know if this is applicable here....butttt seeing

the size of the flywheel on the press closest to us...... >>

The second Philadelphia Mint had pulley-driven presses, but as RWB pointed out these are electrically-driven presses.
    On the pulley-driven presses, a series of drive shafts ran down the length of the ceiling of the press room. A steam boiler in the basement ran the drive shafts, hence the references to "First Steam Coinage" in 1836.
    A leather belt would be wrapped around a drive wheel on the drive shaft, and also around a corresponding drive wheel on the coin press. THe drive wheel turned the big flywheel, which with a cam wheel generated the force that drove the dies up and down.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Maybe the cup on the stick was for the daily ration of rum.

No, wait, that was the FIRST Philadelphia Mint...........

• Options
    Re: cup on a stick. It appears to be attached or hooked to the basin-like thing.

If –
    the basin-like things once held blank planchets, and
    the photo was taken within a year or two of introduction of the hopper in Feb/March 1910, and the planchets had been hand-fed before the automatic hopper, and the cup on a stick hangs from a hook on the basin,

Then –
    the cup on a stick might have been used by the press operator to scoop a handful of planchets while he continued to feed planchets into the press. (Feeder tube only held a few hundred planchets. Documents say the automatic hopper was good for 20 minutes production.)

After the hopper arrangement was fully tested and practical, the basins could have been used for parts, tools, dies, or later removed…..just speculation.
  • Options
    sued?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has probably figured this out by now but you
    can see a huge scale in the background and the 110 V
    electric clock says it's 1:37 PM (it's probably a western
    exposure on a cool July day.). The objects at the top of
    the machinery are oilers. (these would probably be fill-
    ed by an oiler with a large syringe like device). I sup-
    pose that's a reject tray in the lower left corner.

The lower "pipes" above are electric conduit and supply
    lights (and possibly alarms) above the windows. The
    upper pipes are plumbling for the floor above. Those
    carts require a lot of strenght to pull and the front two
    wheels pivot for steering.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    "sued" is an oxymoron for "used"...

The placement of the "cup on a stick" would make it impractical to scoop out very many blanks. Besides, the press operator could keep a steady fill of the tubes by using their left hand to reach and grab blanks, while "adjusting them" in a single row (much like rolling loose coins). The operator's right hand would be kept busy feeding the blanks into the tubes. The image in the Young book has the lady doing this procedure and wearing white gloves.

The chairs were so high that it would be an extremely difficult to reach downward to pick up or handle anything.

From indications, it looks as if there are two levels of "running production changes" in the coining system when the hopper for blanks was added. At least they had electric lights (with gas backups) and could work without being in the dark.

• Options
    You're right about the cup....the angle is wrong too. It might have been used to deliver or collect something from a distance of about 3-feet. What can we seen in the photo that is that distance from the pressman?

Yep, "sued" as in that old song by Johnny Cash about a boy named "Sued" or something like that. He grew up to be a lawyer...?
  • Options

This is exactly the kind of in depth study of this
    picture I was hoping for. Lots of detail that I
    had not even noticed, and I thought I studied
    it pretty closely.

Great work guys!!

~

• Options
    Now—about the five guys at the table in the back right. They are playing poker – looks like five card draw from the hands. The one on the far left is holding AKK65 and the fellow next to him has KKQ106. I can’t see the other cards because the mirror on the wall is tilted wrong… The things on the white stands are actually spittoons – pressmen drooled a lot from the tobacco they chewed on.

In the M&R room (through the large open door) one of the men just got burned as some copper splattered when the zinc was added. The foreman is helping him while the other workmen continue their tasks. The mint’s pet cat, “Gimpy” ‘cause of the foot it lost in a press, is sleeping in the corner, back left under an unused press.
  • Options
    Those basins have a lip that looks like a collection chute for perhaps recycling some type of liquid. The dip cups on the handles are hung from a hook from the basins and there also appears to be a drain plug there, near the bottom. Some mechanism, perhaps the shakers are either being cooled or lubricated. Those basins could very well be heated, they look insulated.

I also think that this maybe a gold production run, hence just two wagons with a total of 15 trays. At 300 coins avg. per tray, that would equate to at least 4500 gold coins.

Really interesting picture.

Edit: If my wife ever seen one of those three legged containers, she'd have me make a planter out of one.
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    "Gimpy" was the third U.S. Mint's mascot. He limped around all over the place and was fed every day by the night watchman.

He reportedly came from a long line of Mint felines, and was the great-great-great grandson of "Gimpy Sr." who according to reports occassionally chased after "Peter" the Mint"s Bald Eagle back in the early 1830's.

Although Mint Director Robert Patterson (1835-1851) liked "Peter" and wanted to immortalize him when he died, "Peter" ended up encased in a pexiglass "slab".

Does anyone have any information on "Gimpy Sr."?
  • Options
    Re: "Gimpy Sr."?

Funny you should ask…I just happened to locate some nonexistent records (mostly 78s) and they confirm one of Walter Breen’s speculations about the “Midnight Minters.”

It seems that the first round of “midnight minting” took place in the late 1850s. One of the Eckfeldt boys and some others got together to run off some duplicates from older dies. This was just before the decision to advertise proof sets for collectors and the guys figured there would be a lot of demand for shiny “specimen” and “master” coins.

But, everyone knew that they’d pay with their jobs if anyone found out they were making money off of making money. So, Eckfeldt and his friends used Gimpy Sr’s paw to push the weight on the big medal press. That way they could honestly say they didn’t strike the coins! Naturally, all the wear and tear on poor Gimpy Sr. was too much for his paw, and it got infected and eventually fell off. This stopped the midnight minters, and they and to concoct a story about Gimpy Sr. getting is paw stuck in a press to explain the injured cat to Director Snowden.

When Gimpy Sr. died, he was hollowed out and stuffed, but eventually fell into a melt of silver and burst into flame.

PS: one of the bins could hold 1,000 silver dollar blanks. The bins were approximately the dimensions of a $1,000 bag of dollars.
  • Options

"I just happened to locate some nonexistent records (mostly 78s)..."

"...the Eckfeldt boys"
    -----

Wait, I think I remember The Eckfeldt Boys. Didn't they record
    for Vocalion?? Had a song called. "Goin' Downtown, Gonna See
    My Gal". Went something like...

Goin' downtown gonna see my gal
    Gonna sing her a song y'all
    Gonna show her my ding...

...I don't know, maybe it was somebody else.

~

• Options

I do not know what mint this is, but the picture properties said it was from 1901 As you can see, the basin on a pedestal is catching coins, looks like nickels (also marked 5) as they come from the press!

mystery solved
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    Looks too high to be catching coins. There is no gravity drop for them to move them from the die area to the top of the basin.

I would guess that it was a reservoir of planchets for the operator to hand feed into the press without having to bend down and pick up more. A different mint worker could refill the reservoirs for several press operators on a rotation basis, so that they would never have any down time refilling their reservoirs.

On the U.S. Mint picture, that may have been just after the automated feeders were added to the presses, but before the pedestals were taken away.

TD
  • Options

Another great picture!!

I agree with Tom. The basin is too high and too far away
    to catch minted coins. The reservoir for blank planchets
    sounds plausible, since I see no hopper on this press.

This picture also solves another riddle. What is in the
    wooden cabinet on the far left in the first picture, behind
    the press. I still don't know what all that stuff is, but at
    least we know it's not a coat closet.

~

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Pictures that appeared in LIFE magazine of gold bar production at the US MINT

image >>

They sure didn't have OSHA regulations back then.. Safety glasses should of been a must. I wonder how many workers had eye injuries.image
  • Options
    I agree with TD. Probably a holding bin for planchets when one operator ran each press and needed a supply of planchets handy.
  • Options

<< <i>Another great picture!!

I agree with Tom. The basin is too high and too far away
    to catch minted coins. The reservoir for blank planchets
    sounds plausible, since I see no hopper on this press.

This picture also solves another riddle. What is in the
    wooden cabinet on the far left in the first picture, behind
    the press. I still don't know what all that stuff is, but at
    least we know it's not a coat closet.

~ >>

The cylindrical tank looks like a modern coffee urn. I would guess that it held drinking water.
    TD
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

<"A leather belt would be wrapped around a drive wheel on the drive shaft, and also around a corresponding drive wheel on the coin press. THe drive wheel turned the big flywheel, which with a cam wheel generated the force that drove the dies up and down.
    TD">

I believe the leather belts for machines of that era were made from American bison hides.
    Thats where the hides of the 19th century buffalo slaughter went! Apparently they were the strongest and most durable.

krueger
  • Options
    Some may have been, but I don't think that the buffalo slaughter began until after the railroads came through and there was a way to ship the hides back to a city with a tannery.
  • Options
    Why is there a noticeable "lip" on the reservoir tank in both pictures then? Is it possible that the extractor that sweeps the coin from the striking chamber forces another coin along a chute and they line up until they start to drop one by one into the reservoir?

The "coffee" looking urn in the cabinet might also be filled with machine oil for lubrication?

OK, so the mystery is not solved.

I like a good mystery.
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    The latest image on this thread was taken inside the second US Mint building in 1901. That building was demolished in 1902. The new third Mint building is depicted in this issue, and is almost completed. The long, sturdy ramp from the street to the doors above the steps was used to deliver the new presses and other heavy machinery.

Five other images (including the counting board for cents) were displayed on the front page of the September 7, 1901 issue of Scientific American, along with an interesting write up by Marcus Benjamin PH D. The person depicted (with a suit and tie) might be Mint Director George Roberts. As I previously mentioned, the oblong bowl in front was used for blank planchets.

These are among the few surviving photographic images taken inside the second Mint in Philadelphia, which by then was old, dirty, and cramped for space. There are a few other second Mint stereoviews extant (one that shows the counting board in a different location) and all are most interesting. I have a couple of these in my Henry Voigt book.

The earliest images (line drawings) to appear in print about the U.S. Mint were drawn by an artist named Del Devereux, who was commissioned to sketch various scenes while a reporter was taken on a tour inside the second Mint. These were displayed in the July 17, 1852 issue of Gleason's Pictorial.

A comprehensive numismatic library is a very worthwhile endeavor.

To put the 1901 timeframe into perspective, there is a picture of the Santos-Dumont No5 balloon, one of the earliest navigable airships (pre-Wright Bros) that had crashed into a hotel in Paris on August 8th when he was attempting to win the Deutsch prize flying around the Eiffel Tower in a timed event.
  • Options

<< <i>image

I do not know what mint this is, but the picture properties said it was from 1901 As you can see, the basin on a pedestal is catching coins, looks like nickels (also marked 5) as they come from the press!

mystery solved >>

Looking at the black tank/reservoir labeled "5," there does seem to be some sort of projection above the upper edge on the rim where it is closest to the coin dies. If you look at the original picture, there seems to be something there also.

However, I still don't think that it is receiving struck coins. As the original picture shows, the struck coins come out down low to the left where they go through a screen into a flat catch box.

I cannot figure out what that projection is. It may have been some sort of rack to help the press operator make a stack of planchets that he could then drop down the feed tube. This is just a guess. It would make sense to have such a device closest to the press, to cut down on the press operators motion.

TD
  • Options
    And has anybody figured out what the cup on the long handle is for?
  • Options
    jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭
    ( Basin - Long Ladel - Small Cup )

I think this is a hand pumped oil bin to fill the small cup OR Ladel to oil that darn thang image

Fill the oil bin in AM to use during the day - Looks to hold around 5-6 gallons
    Hand pump to fill cup and ladel - Any drippage falls back into bin
    Unused oil is drained at the end of the day or to clean the bin ( See drain plug bottom right )
    The cup would be used to lubricate the arm in the foreground - notice drip catch directly below it.
    The long ladel I think is to refill the automatic oilers in the rear (2) and one on top of the press.

This is my opinion - it may differ than others image

• Options

"I think this is a hand pumped oil bin to fill the small cup OR Ladel to oil that darn thang"
    -----
    This would have been more of an option for the basin had
    WoodenJefferson not uploaded the second picture of the
    presses, which shows the basin full of lumpy stuff. Coins
    or planchets would be my guess, and moreover, planchets,
    since I can see no reason for struck coins to be there.

Of course, we're all just guessing, but I think we are coming
    closer to an understanding of the press operations. It's all
    very interesting to me.

~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file