Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finders Keepers?

If you happen to find something with an inscribed name, addy, phone or the like do you keep it or return it?

You are in a public place and find a piece of Jewelry on top of the ground. Someone walks over to you and claims they just lost it and want it back. What do would you do?

In both scenarios the person offers a reward for return, Do you accept?

Just trying to generate a discussion.
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    If I think someone saw me pick an item up and then claim it is theirs, I'd ask if it had any identifying marks on it and if it did and they described them I'd give it back. Not accept a reward unless it was enough to get my 4 wheeler fixed. image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I found a mens gold wedding band with 5 diamonds. Posted it in the local paper as "ring found in park - call to identify". Well, I received 5 calls. 4 of which were from the same number(caller ID). Twice a female called to say her husband lost his ring. Wrong ID. Two other calls by the male stating the wife lost her ring - wrong ID. These calls were placed throughout the day. On the forth call I said it was returned already, just to keep them from calling again. I guess they figure they will eventually get the correct ID and get the ring!!!!! DAH - If I didn't have caller ID, I guess it could happen! Its a shame! You just can't trust anyone!!!!!
  • Options
    Like most of you.....If I find something that is traceable to the owner...I'll return it. If I find something and someone walks over and tries to claim it...If they can ID it, to my satisfaction, I'll return it.
  • Options

<< <i>Like most of you.....If I find something that is traceable to the owner...I'll return it. If I find something and someone walks over and tries to claim it...If they can ID it, to my satisfaction, I'll return it. >>

Not a detector here but I have to agree with Mill.

Just seems right to me.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Like most of you.....If I find something that is traceable to the owner...I'll return it. If I find something and someone walks over and tries to claim it...If they can ID it, to my satisfaction, I'll return it. >>

Not a detector here but I have to agree with Mill.

Just seems right to me. >>

Seems right to me also......But you would have to think if it's a high priced item found
    they would have insurance and collected on it.Now they have the item and insurance money.

I keep the high dollar items and return school rings and wedding bands.
  • Options
    I, too would return anything with an address or name, etc. grip has a valid point though....
  • Options
    i'd return the oval tag, but i doubt this guy is still alive.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is traceable, it goes back. I also will not return anything to someone who cannot describe the item. If people ask, I tell them I found a platinum ring with three diamonds.... and if they try to claim it, I say describe it. When they cannot, I say sorry.... if they get a policeman, I produce a laminated, dated card with that description on it and the fact that this is what I tell people. Catches the scammers every time....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I was at a soccer game and saw the coach's college ring fall from his street clothing as he was about to put it in his duffle bag. The ring sorta just rolled down his leg and he never knew it. I picked it up and handed it to him, with an astonished look he said thanks and asked how I knew it was his. So I explained how I saw it fall. That would have been an exceptional find for a detectorist.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Let me ask another way:

If you see someone looking around, with no detector, do you ask what they are looking for? And offer to help find it?
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An answer to Lonelyp. Several years ago I saw a group in my neighbors yard looking. I asked if they had lost something. The lady had lost a gold ring. I told her I didn't have time now but would come back later. When I did come back I found it within 5 min.

In public places you never say what you found. Like Ricko says, "They have to be able to describe it to you".
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    In answer to Paul... of course, I'd offer to help.

• Options
    A few years ago, I found a 10K 1966 man's ring from a small local college. It had engraved initials. I stopped by the college library and looked at the 1966 yearbook. Only one guy's initials matched. I googled the name and got several hits for him as an executive at a company in the same state as me. I contacted the company and they passed my info along to him.
    A few weeks later I met him. It turns out that he had saved a long time to buy that ring. He had only owned it about a week in 1966 when he lost it swimming. I returned it to him. My reward was knowing that he and I would both have great stories to tell, and that the ring wouldn't be gathering dust in a shoebox in my basement.

Last fall, I also found a girl's high school ring that was only a few years old. Since it had a full engraved name, I left it with my sister-in-law, who still lives nearby the school and would be able to return it to the owner.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WWIT--That is a great story. It's always interesting to get these stories on returned rings.