Home Metal Detecting
Options

anybody ever feel like they were being watched while detecting

today i was down at the local beach,and felt like i was being watched.

so i packed up and went home.(detectafobia)
figglehorn

Comments

• Options
    Yep, all the time.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto to Bentforks response.
  • Options
    I have no doubt. I have even been filmed..by interested passer bys. One day not too long ago in fact, I was watched by a women from her front porch for about 30 minutes while I was detecting a local park.....She even went into the house and got binoculars. The next thing I knew, she was out there next to me, wanting to know if I was finding anything..I showed her the trash I had found...and glass I had picked up. But...I didn't show here any goodies I had recovered..I don't make that a habit, unless i know you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... always someone watching... I have seen curtains move, heads duck down behind cars etc..... dunno why they think they need to hide. Very common for park bench sitters to watch.. but that is open curiosity... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Maybe it's all the little critters in the woods trying to make you feel 'hinky'...
    (must've worked!) grin

Big Dave
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every time I go out unless I am searching in the woods or someplace I know is deserted. I have found that headphones help a great deal in making that feeling go away. Not sure why it bothers me that people are watching, but it does. Also not sure why some people stare like they are watching a UFO land instead of some guy with a detector digging around.
  • Options
    You were being watched. Haven't you heard Obama is watching all Americans these days lol.
    Big Kahuna

• Options
    If your not being watched your not doing it right !

If Im not attracting a bunch of kids its someone who thinks Im finding what they lost when they were kids or someone who thinks they know where I should go to find the good stuff ! (Inever run those ones off sometimes they are right !) LOL
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I detect at dusk only. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    and satellite surveillance
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i think it is not a very common hobby in NH anymore and people always
    watch. I would say 1 out of 10 watchers comes up and talks about
    how it is going. I always share any finds and expectations. Heck, I will
    even allow people to give it a try. I throw down some change so they
    can see how it works.
  • Options
    i used to get people coming over to me all the time, back in the 1980's. rarely does anyone stop. last year there was a guy who looked like a gang member who came up to me. i thought oh crap, what does he want? well he saw a whites detector commercial and said he always wanted to get one. he turned out to be real nice.

i really don't care anymore who's watching. i've been doing this since 1986 and i don't plan to stop because of curious people.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904

<< <i>i used to get people coming over to me all the time, back in the 1980's. rarely does anyone stop. last year there was a guy who looked like a gang member who came up to me. i thought oh crap, what does he want? well he saw a whites detector commercial and said he always wanted to get one. he turned out to be real nice.

i really don't care anymore who's watching. i've been doing this since 1986 and i don't plan to stop because of curious people. >>

Can we say profiling?
    Its all relative
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Can we say profiling?"
    Profiling is a necessary part of crime detection as well as other aspects of life. Nothing wrong with it... simply a bunch of PC idiots trying more social engineering. Cheers, RickO