Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Draped Bust Dollar or Flowing Hair Half?

You have $2000 to spend. Do you buy a Draped Bust Dollar or a Flowing Hair Half?
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    Just so happens I might have one of them thar FH halves for sale.image
  • Options
    Flowing Hair. Hands down. No contest.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draped Bust ,

for $2000 you won't get much of a flowing hair. But you'd be able to get a real nice 1803 to 1807.
  • Options

<< <i>Draped Bust ,

for $2000 you won't get much of a flowing hair. But you'd be able to get a real nice 1803 to 1807. >>

This piece comes in at under his budget.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd pick up a nice FH half. Heritage has a lot of lower graded ones coming up shortly.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Dollars are cooler IMHO. Flowing Hair halves are also cool, but are common as dirt.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the $2k price level I would likely buy a DBH for several reasons. The first is that at this level you may only buy the "generic" 1795 from the FH series and the coin will be lower grade or will have more obvious problems. The second is that at this level you may either buy an apparently original EF DBH or you may find a better date such as 1803 or 1805 in the choice, mid-grade range.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>At the $2k price level I would likely buy a DBH for several reasons. The first is that at this level you may only buy the "generic" 1795 from the FH series and the coin will be lower grade or will have more obvious problems. The second is that at this level you may either buy an apparently original EF DBH or you may find a better date such as 1803 or 1805 in the choice, mid-grade range. >>

Draped Bust Dollar, not Half.

What kind of Bust Dollar would I be able to get for $2K?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about that.image You should be able to buy a VF range DBD for a little bit north of $2k and I would put my money there instead of a lower graded FHH.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Any reccomendations on where to buy Draped Bust Dollars?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any reccomendations on where to buy Draped Bust Dollars? >>

Wherever TomB does. A decent vf bust dollar for 2k is hard to find online.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any reccomendations on where to buy Draped Bust Dollars?

Heritage Auctions
    JJ Teaparty
    Northeast Numismatics
    Alpine Numismatics
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any reccomendations on where to buy Draped Bust Dollars? >>

Wherever TomB does. A decent vf bust dollar for 2k is hard to find online. >>

VF Draped Bust dollars are around in the lower $2k range... just have to keep your eyes open. There was recently a 1799 $1 PCGS VF25 on eBay that I was too late on... sold thru a BIN for $2350 I believe. It was worth the price paid.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DBD would be my choice...
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Draped Bust. Hands down. No contest.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy the flowing hair simply for the historical value (and the fact that I have fewer of them), but if the question was which is more beautiful, it would be the draped bust.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    In terms of future potential I would go with the Flowing Hair Half. You won't get as nice of a coin, but it will be much rarer in absolute terms and always in demand by type collectors. The advantages of the Draped Bust Dollar is it is obviously larger, more physically impressive to non-collectors, far more available and you will get a nicer coin for the $2K if you stick to the most common dates. 1799 is a great type date as it is still an 18th century coin and is readily available in VF20-25 grades which fit in your budget. Myself...I'd pony up the extra few hundred to get a nice F12 Flowing Hair Half because I know it to be far more rare than a type Draped Bust Dollar...but that is simply a matter of personal tastes.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Either issue is a true capsule of history. The dollars are more majestic and you get more for your money. Be patient and choose a really choice Fine/VF in the 2-3K range; you will enjoy the coin for a very long time. These issues are scarce enough that the suggestions given are helpful but you may do as well attending one or two major shows.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I prefer the style and the heft of the draped bust dollar. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I went with draped bust because I'm into dollars, but this thread would be much better if you had pics for side by side comparison
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call. You should be able to find either in a very enjoyable grade for $2000 with a little work. I'm leaning toward the flowing hair half, since it's the first design of the type. Also, my gut tells me that finding a 1795 half you must have for $2000 will be a little harder than finding a similar draped bust dollar. After buying the half, I'd start putting money aside for the dollar. The other approach you could take is to look for both, study both issues for a while, and then buy whichever one comes along that has that special appeal you're looking for.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file