Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: What is your yearly household income?

I know im going to get flamed hard for this poll, but remember, it IS anonymous! I have read that the average U.S. household income is $56,000 in this country. I'd like to see where "serious" coin collectors compare to the national average. If you decide to respond (vote) in this poll, please enter the total amount you AND your significant other gross each year. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

I prefer to be paid in Zimbabwe currency, so my annual income is about one bazillion-trillion dollars.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a sec while I get you my SS# too. Hang on.
  • Options

<< <i>I prefer to be paid in Zimbabwe currency, so my annual income is about one bazillion-trillion dollars. >>

image I should have specified in USD$, but figured it was implied since we are talking about U.S. average household incomes.
  • Options

<< <i>Wait a sec while I get you my SS# too. Hang on. >>

• Options

I can open a line of credit with your SS#, but I could only sit here and turn green with envy, or chuckle silently if you divulged your income. Paranoia is common among coin collectors though I have discovered.image
  • Options
    I could not participate, as I make exactly $500,001. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

X2image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    But...

You haven't included a single category for seven digit salaries.

That means we won't know how much SG makes.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I prefer to be paid in Zimbabwe currency, so my annual income is about one bazillion-trillion dollars. >>

image I should have specified in USD$, but figured it was implied since we are talking about U.S. average household incomes. >>

oh okay, well that equates to about $30 then, maybe 35 bucks in a good year (which is about 1 1/2 bazillion-trillion Zimbabwe dollars)
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MYOB.

• Options

My taxes were done last week and between the two of us it was $94,000
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW. All of a sudden I realize I am not as poor as I thought I was image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    You *DO* realize that people will deliberately skew the poll, thus making it utterly useless, right? Right now it looks like people are using the 0-15,000 category as a stand in for MYOFB...

I'll just say that I fall below your national average, for what little that's worth...
  • Options

is the $56k household an average, or median.........I think the latter would be a better idea of what each family brings home. that number also seems a bit low from what i recall, i thought it was up in the mid-60s now.

• Options

<< <i>My taxes were done last week and between the two of us it was $94,000 >>

Here is a man that reports heavily on crime around the country. Yet he has just publicly stated what his gross was last year. This proves that the info im seeking is hardly anything that could spawn some type of unsavory behavior, contrary to you paranoid types. Because he has chosen to "out" himself, I feel obligated to do the same (I did start this sensitive thread). My wife is the head of physical therapy at a rehab center, and im a fire engineer on the 2nd largest fire dept in the nation. Together, we grossed $161,000 last year.
  • Options
    I don't really see why its such a big deal to some. Like gecko109 said its completely anonymous, and if you didn't have anything positive to say about the subject why even open the thread?
  • Options
    Notice that Mr. Michigan does not share his profile. His name is unknown, as is his city of origin.

I suggest you remove some information, as with the data you have provided, some thief might be able to dig up the rest via public records! image

Paranoia! Paranoia!

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I get paid by Electronic Deposit, so my money looks like a bunch of atoms

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>You *DO* realize that people will deliberately skew the poll, thus making it utterly useless, right? Right now it looks like people are using the 0-15,000 category as a stand in for MYOFB...

I'll just say that I fall below your national average, for what little that's worth... >>

That is possible, yet lets not forget that there are alot of YNs in school right now who dont have much income to speak of. This may also be a factor in the number of 0-15,000 votes.
  • Options

Wow; that is either a very small wire or those are some gigantic atoms.

I always insist on taking delivery of my atoms, and suggest other folks do the same. Paper atoms are worthless.

• Options

<< <i>is the $56k household an average, or median.........I think the latter would be a better idea of what each family brings home. that number also seems a bit low from what i recall, i thought it was up in the mid-60s now. >>

I cannot remember where exactly I saw the $56k number, but the link below says that the MEDIAN household income for 2007 was $50,233.

Median U.S. household income data
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    “Electrons” Hmmm, are those the folks that are in that College and vote for President and stuff?

Last year I got paid in kind. The chickens were OK, but I don’t like turnips.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few live below their means like WB, but I sure try and only because I am below the national average.

The Less than Average Joe image

kick me , beat me, spank me, but please be good looking, female and rich.
    Edit to add : No transexuals named Rich, please.
  • Options
    On another track, one of the potential issues with publicly sharing this information is how other folks might react. I'm talking about ugly stuff like class warfare. Some folks believe that everyone should be making exactly the same amount of money; some folks are not happy with their job nor salary and will dump their anger onto other, richer folks. And, i've seen some rich folks who think they are 'above the other little people' which is similarly vile.

There is a reason why salaries and bonuses are often kept secret in a workplace. Full disclosure of this information can cause morale problems.

And I have not received my UHR yet. Those horrible PBGS people.
  • Options

<< <i>On another track, one of the potential issues with publicly sharing this information is how other folks might react. I'm talking about ugly stuff like class warfare. Some folks believe that everyone should be making exactly the same amount of money; some folks are not happy with their job nor salary and will dump their anger onto other, richer folks. And, i've seen some rich folks who think they are 'above the other little people' which is similarly vile.

There is a reason why salaries and bonuses are often kept secret in a workplace. Full disclosure of this information can cause morale problems. >>

I suppose that in my line of work, with a union labor contract, and a published pay scale based on rank and seniority, im not familiar with this attitude of secrecy and resentment. Everyone knows what everyone else makes, and if they dont, they can just look it up in the labor contract handbook.
  • Options
    Something else to consider. Just because couple X earn Y amount doesnt mean that they are well off. For example, the person making $100k may at a quick glance appear to be doing well, but if he lives in a $500,000 house with a $3,200 mortgage, and drives a car with a $850 note, he isnt "as well off" as one may think. Now take a guy earning $35k. He lives in a studio apartment for $450 a month, and drives a 1997 Cavalier thats paid off. That guy has more disposable income than the 1st guy!
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suppose that in my line of work, with a union labor contract, and a published pay scale based on rank and seniority, im not familiar with this attitude of secrecy and resentment. Everyone knows what everyone else makes, and if they dont, they can just look it up in the labor contract handbook. >>

yeah, same here. I work for the newly created Illinois Dept of Juvenile Justice so it's public knowledge of what I make. Because of the new dept creation, and my job title has changed, I'm going getting some sweet pay raises by $20k the next 2-3 years. The increased money also comes along with increased accountability and increased job description. The wife is an RN so we fall in the $100-150k catagory and thankfully we live in a VERY low cost of living region and are debt free. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Billion Dollars
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    It's an interesting poll topic, but I'm afraid I don't believe the results. I do think people are submitting bogus results.

Gecko, I propose you delete the poll (an option I think for the OP). Then, open a new poll with a MYOB and MYOFB and "Not saying just show me results" option. (okay and a $501K spot for our good friend RG). You might get a more accurate poll result.

I find it interesting as I suspect the demographic for numismatics will likely be flat across income. I think collecting is a compulsion more than a recreation for most (at least it seems that way with other areas of collectables).

Just a thought,

Bob

• Options
    I use to rich and famous now IM neither....
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumbest thread of the year.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

<< <i>Something else to consider. Just because couple X earn Y amount doesnt mean that they are well off. For example, the person making $100k may at a quick glance appear to be doing well, but if he lives in a $500,000 house with a $3,200 mortgage, and drives a car with a $850 note, he isnt "as well off" as one may think. Now take a guy earning $35k. He lives in a studio apartment for $450 a month, and drives a 1997 Cavalier thats paid off. That guy has more disposable income than the 1st guy! >>

Yup. like i said COL is low down here so we have a pretty nice 3 br 2 bath ranch home and pay about $750/mo for it. And I drive a paid for cavalier.image It's a 2001 though. We live pretty frugally and we could live on my salary alone and still save $400-500/mo. I looked into that, but the wife wants to keep working since she enjoys her job. I don't make a ton. We just don't spend alot and both have paid off vehicles.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options

<< <i>It's an interesting poll topic, but I'm afraid I don't believe the results. I do think people are submitting bogus results.

Gecko, I propose you delete the poll (an option I think for the OP). Then, open a new poll with a MYOB and MYOFB and "Not saying just show me results" option. (okay and a $501K spot for our good friend RG). You might get a more accurate poll result.

I find it interesting as I suspect the demographic for numismatics will likely be flat across income. I think collecting is a compulsion more than a recreation for most (at least it seems that way with other areas of collectables).

Just a thought,

Bob >>

Excellent ideas Bob, but I think that if someone doesnt want to cast a "vote", then they dont deserve to see the results and should move on to a different thread. There is absolutely ZERO real motivation in lying in an anonymous poll such as this, but even with the other 3 options you recommend, im afraid not everyone would be honest anyway. So the poll will stand as is, and the results will be taken with a grain of salt.
  • Options

<< <i>Dumbest thread of the year. >>

Quite possibly the least useful post to this thread thus far. Did someone pee in your cherrios this morning? Turn that frown upside down lil fella!image
  • Options
    Less than $10 face value/yr of selected U.S. dollars in PCGS slabs..........
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see a choice for never enough.image
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't see a choice for never enough.image >>

Well, thats just assumed of course!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

that my friend rocked image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I will add, though that happiness with your job always trumps income. While I make a comfortable income I would take a $15,000/yr paycut today to have a job I look forward to going to everyday. I absolutely hate what I do. The pension system does ensure that i'll have a guaranteed check for life, but the downside of being in a pension is you're pretty much married to that job if you're still there by your mid to late 30s no matter how bad you hate it. I have considered finishing my degree and freeing myself from that pit of a job at 45 yrs old and find a job I enjoy. That's 7 years away, things should be recovered by then and I'll be able to start drawin my pension 5 years later anyway. I've done 18 years. I think I could stomach 7 more.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    My income is now about $3,000 / yr. Lincolns found on the pavement are even out of my collecting range. Got to save up everything just to get a cold 40 in a brown bag. image
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Hey, sorry to be so late to answer this thread, but I had to look up all this information you wanted.

Here's my Soc. Sec.# 469-87-2603 Oh and it's printed on the side of a truck in Manhattan somewhere.

Here's one of my bank accounts,,,# 008-9745506 and it's at Citibank, or is it now called the Treasury Dept.?

Here's my accountant's phone # so you can verify all this info. (305) 836-7371, Uh, I assumed you'd want that.

And Oh yeah, here's my safe combo,,,sometimes it sticks on the second turn, but just giggle it and I'm sure it'll open
    L 49 R 13 L 68

Ahh, did you need any PIN numbers, or passwords? Gee, there's a lot of them, just wait there and I'll get 'em!
    Now don't you go away!!

Do you think you can keep an eye on this stuff while I'm looking these things up for you?

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, sorry to be so late to answer this thread, but I had to look up all this information you wanted.

Here's my Soc. Sec.# 469-87-2603 Oh and it's printed on the side of a truck in Manhattan somewhere.

Here's one of my bank accounts,,,# 008-9745506 and it's at Citibank, or is it now called the Treasury Dept.?

Here's my accountant's phone # so you can verify all this info. (305) 836-7371, Uh, I assumed you'd want that.

And Oh yeah, here's my safe combo,,,sometimes it sticks on the second turn, but just giggle it and I'm sure it'll open
    L 49 R 13 L 68

Ahh, did you need any PIN numbers, or passwords? Gee, there's a lot of them, just wait there and I'll get 'em!
    Now don't you go away!!

Do you think you can keep an eye on this stuff while I'm looking these things up for you?

image >>

You must have some serious diarrhea with all that green toilet paper!
  • Options
    (calls number)

Cashier: Could you please tell us your name, sir?

Me: Uh. Er. "LoveMyLiberty".

Cashier: Yes. Okay. Do you have a last name?

Me: Hm. I don't know. (hangs up)
  • Options

<< <i>(calls number)

Cashier: Could you please tell us your name, sir?

Me: Uh. Er. "LoveMyLiberty".

Cashier: Yes. Okay. Do you have a last name?

Me: Hm. I don't know. (hangs up) >>

Nice try McLovin!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    My yearly income (wife and i) about 200k. I wish i made more, but i am glad i do not make less. By the time i pay for property taxes, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision insurance, umbrella insurance, self employment tax, income tax, cigarette tax there is not enough left to live on.

BTW my income has steadily dropped over the last 15 years although we both seem to work more. Go figure.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    What are the bills in the foreground? Iraq? Is that part of Sadam's stash?

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of our esteemed, and retired (thankfully) politicians...of the liberal persuasion
    was once heard to say that his idea of a perfect society is one where 50% of the
    population worked and paid 50% in taxes to be given to the poor unemployed that
    do not work and therefor everyone would be equal with no class envy ??????????????

Oh Oh Oh ...can I be one of the 50% that sits on my a$$ and collects Longacre's 50% image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>What are the bills in the foreground? Iraq? Is that part of Sadam's stash? >>

Its actually an image from a $296 million dollar Mexico meth bust. Youtube link Here

Imagine being the guy who jumps in the middle of it right before they're about to take the picture image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No comment... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file