Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buyer complained that Silver trime is too small.

Trime Auction

I sold that junk trime for $5. Got this email last night:

Dear photocoin,

I bought this coin and I must say I am very dissapointed in its size. Your pics made it appear much larger than it actually is. Do you accept returns?

-shoot231

I just gave him the $5 back and told him to keep the coin. But, what a moron!

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain.

But notice that on the U. S. Mint website, they say "image not actual size".

Two things in the universe are immeasurably large. Hydrogen and stupidity. And we have a handle on the hydrogen.

Those fish scales are too darn small.

• << <i>
    Two things in the universe are almost infinite. Hydrogen and stupidity. And we aren't completely certain about the hydrogen.
    >>

image well said!
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I like your policy so much, I think I will be high bidder on your 20 cent piece
    I had to correct it, as "almost infinite" is stupid.

• On my screen it was about 3 inches across. They aren't that big? image
  • He even mentioned its size in his feedback to me!
  • first the seller does not control the size of the coin, why would you punish them because you didn't look into how the coin was minted
    secondly why bother returning a $5 coin, seems kinda pointless unless your the type of person who likes to make others' life hell
  • I can picture the buyer thinking they got an ASE sized coin for 5 bucks. Folks don't research before buying. I do think I would have put the size up though just to avoid returns.

• << <i>first the seller does not control the size of the coin, why would you punish them because you didn't look into how the coin was minted
    secondly why bother returning a $5 coin, seems kinda pointless unless your the type of person who likes to make others' life hell >>

I pick my battles wisely. $5 isnt worth fighting over. Just blocked him from buying anything else and forget him.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad that buyers does not buy errors or he may think my coin is 20 feet across

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    the buyer was right! the coin is too small! ;-)
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    LOL 14 bids for a coin that ended $5??? Sounds like an epic battle of tightwads.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

• << <i>LOL 14 bids for a coin that ended $5??? Sounds like an epic battle of tightwads. >>

• Me like-um heap big coin!
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭
    image.....Blocked...He/she should send you something back. Don't be surprised to see this coin for sale, shortly. Selling inexpensive lots, increases the chances of finding people like this and having feedback "hit" with someone,that could care less.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Can't blame the buyer, I mean c'mon, your images make the coin look as big as a cup coaster.imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to bid on your 1875-CC twenty-cent piece, but I am sure I would just want to return it as it looks too much like the quarter. image

Lane

P.S. What a GREAT story!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Here's one that's even better - Friend of mine got a negative FB for a half dime being too small:

Behold the stupidity (second one down)
  • When selling coins on ebay under $25, and especially under $10, you're entering a sharks tank
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one that's even better - Friend of mine got a negative FB for a half dime being too small:

Behold the stupidity (second one down) >>

wow, look at the feedback that guy has left for others. What a douche

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • You've got to wonder about some folks. HAHA!

I would have done exactly what you did. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    dont refund---offer to correct the problem

have him send the coin back and place it on train tracks.......once should make it the size of a quarter, if that doesnt work go for twice and it will be the size of a half dollar

see, it all works out

www.brunkauctions.com

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of my favorite stupid bidder story. I had a buyer complain about a Merc I sold as an "RPM" because it didn't have all of the flashy metal around the outside like in the picture. I'd photographed it in a 2x2. I don't know what the buyer thought "RPM" stood for but he must have thought that coin was spinning really fast for the metal to splash all over the place like that.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...maybe size does matter?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You handled it about as well as could be imagined. Another nail in the coffin for ebay.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    The few times i've sold coins on eBay, i've provided information such as weights, dimensions, my opinion on the coin. A paragraph or two. I'm not talking a huge 20 paragraph blather.

Just a few facts would have helped here. Maybe.

Then again, if you had said the coin was 15.5 millimeters in diameter, the winner of the auction may have said "I did not realize that millimeters were so small".

The bidding history does look like the Battle of the Tightwads, doesn't it?

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I just blocked him. I sure don't want him bidding on my undersized coins.imageimage
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of story. Long, long ago, Martin Paul owned the unique 1870-S half dime. At a Long Beach show, a certain silver dollar dealer expressed a serious interest in buying the coin, and wanted to see it in person before making a commitment. Since the coin was back at Martin's office in Massachusetts, and since this would have been a really good sale, Martin had an employee pick up the coin and jump on the next flight to California. The next day, the potential buyer took a very quick look at the coin and handed it back. "I'll pass. It's too small." True story.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I find amusing about the auction is that people bid the coin up to $5. With no date, considering its silver content (about 30cents worth), the coin was worth, at most, 50 cents.

Top if off with the "too small" comment and you have a winner.

I wonder how much I could make selling dateless buffalo nickels to morons? Could be a solid business plan.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    14 bids? I don't even get 14 bids on an auction when I sell something good. image

Sorry you had and idiot for a customer.

You did the right thing by sending the idiot his 5 bucks back. I hope he doesn't neg you. What a jerk that guy is.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>I am glad that buyers does not buy errors or he may think my coin is 20 feet across

image >>

that was priceless

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

• << <i>What I find amusing about the auction is that people bid the coin up to $5. With no date, considering its silver content (about 30cents worth), the coin was worth, at most, 50 cents.

Top if off with the "too small" comment and you have a winner.

I wonder how much I could make selling dateless buffalo nickels to morons? Could be a solid business plan. >>

I'll take 300 of these at 50 cents each please.image PM me with your paypal addy!
    Gettin' small...

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Amazing what people do.

BTW under the description you listed Carson City as the mint.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL 14 bids for a coin that ended $5??? Sounds like an epic battle of tightwads. >>

image Thats the hardest I have laughed in a while!
  • what a dumba$$.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend in business told me that "five percent of all the people you deal with in life are crazy"

yup. yup indeed.

• << <i>A friend in business told me that "five percent of all the people you deal with in life are crazy" >>

I honestly believe that it is a significantly higher percentage than that.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    "You did the right thing by sending the idiot his 5 bucks back. I hope he doesn't neg you. What a jerk that guy is".

Guy left positive feedback on the 26th.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>

<< <i>A friend in business told me that "five percent of all the people you deal with in life are crazy" >>

I honestly believe that it is a significantly higher percentage than that. >>

I'm thinking it is closer to 1 out of 4. Too bad it's not coin related enough for a poll.

• YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    You damn thieves... All of you crooks... You dirty Rats you.. You scum sucking varmits... What are you thinking about when you sell a junk token for $5.. Trouble, I'll tell you.. Now go turn yourself in to the feds and ask for the shock treatment.image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< A friend in business told me that "five percent of all the people you deal with in life are crazy" >>

I honestly believe that it is a significantly higher percentage than that.

CCU - You being a coin dealer, I would expect you to see things that way. It's called "selection bias".
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, what's the problem? I always bid by the inch!
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    You might want to relate your story in all your future eBay offerings. As a bit of humor you could paste in a pic of a Green Pea with this disclaimer ....................

CAUTION If your brain is not at least as big as this pea - please don't bid in my auctions. Actual size of pea ( and Coins offered ) may be smaller than pictured.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great auction story. Loved it!

I would have done the same thing...maybe sent him $6 as thanks for alerting me to undersizement on ebay.

Sometimes it's worth a few bucks to screw with idiots.
    Lance.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should teach you to catalog your coins better.

• Wait just one second here. Is this how we treat potential coin collectors? There is nothing in the buyer's request for a refund that would suggest dishonesty in any way. He (or she) may have seriously known nothing about coins, thought that the item would look nice for himself (or maybe a friend or relative), and wanted to buy the item.

As a numismatist, I know how small or large coins are. If I did not know anything, I would also have been led to believe that such an item would be of a "large size".

• FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Um... may I please have the 3 cent coin at a size relative to the picture works for idiots... but not for me.

Please add this to all your future sales: Note to buyers... if you have no clue as to the size of this coin, please do not believe the coin is anywhere near the size of the picture, which is used to show the condition... if you have no clue as to the value of the coin, please bid accordingly.

That should get the bidding frenzy going! image

Peace!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file