Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you handle this situation? Honestly?

Forum members:
I'm deleting my question. You can still read the posts and respond to them.
However, I feel things are getting too volitile here and I'd like to put an end to it.
I hope this works and brings an end to this argument.
I regret starting this thread and I apologize for the conflicts it's caused between some members.
Please forgive me! If I'd known the direction it was going, I'd never have started it.
Thanks for your understanding.
JT
It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'd probably do it your way, unless of course the coins were nice looking BU Busties imageimage or another type of coin I collect.

This is a tough situation though.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ma'am, I'd be very interested if humanly possible, to trump the offer you receive in here.
    Please be careful when selling the "LOT". There could be a few items that are most valueable.

Here is my phone number (402) 657- xxxx. If you would be so kind, I know this is not my shop, but I love collecting and passing the deals on to other collectors as well, in a fair market.

I would appreciate your consideration, humbly,

Joe the Roofer
  • Options
    Then again, it's not my shop and that is trespassing. image So, I'd just go to the dealer afterward and say, ...

Psssst, "here's what I told the nice lady"...
  • Options
    I would ask the lady what she was hoping to get out of them and then pay more to be an honest person. I don't deal with too many dealers that would do that for the innocent person. There is nothing wrong with buying coins from an individual no matter if you are in a place of business or on the street. The moral of this story is that the person came up to you and offered them to you first.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Thats a tough situation there....I think I'd go with TwoSides2aCoin on this one. I always thought customer service was the top priority with any business...so if a customer approaches you (another customer) asking if you are interested, I would seize the moment. Why not? I would be completely truthful with her on the value of her coins, honestly. Then, depending on what it was I'd buy some myself, and proceed to tell her to EXPECT to get X amount of money from the store owner for her coins, instead of her just going in there and getting completely ripped off. I'd look at it as a drug operation cutting out the middle man image. Why have her sell it to the guy for dirt cheap, then have him turn around and sell it to you at jacked up price?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The lady must have known you were not the store owner, still she asked you if you bought things like she had to sell. So long as the store owner did not notice what was going on, step outside the store away from view, and do business with the lady. If the store owner noticed the lady in his store with a box to sell he probably would have stopped what he was doing and rushed over to her.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    "This isn't my store. But I am sure someone will be right with you."

If I saw you attempting to do business in my store, you can bet you wouldn't be welcome back. Even contemplating the thought is reproachful.

Do you pay the electricity? Do you take the risks with stolen property? Do you pay the taxes? etc... ? No?

But you are perfectly willing to shop there and consider poaching the customers. Brilliant.
  • Options

<< <i>You're in a B&M coin shop and an elderly woman walks in with a coin album. >>

If the woman came in to the store with the intention of offering her coins for sale, I would think the honorable thing to do would be to direct her to the owner since it's not your store. The store owner pays for the rent and advertising which brought the woman in in the first place, and he ought to be the one she talks to. In the event a deal is not made, it would then be okay to offer to look at the woman's coins.
  • Options

<< <i>"This isn't my store. But I am sure someone will be right with you."

If I saw you attempting to do business in my store, you can bet you wouldn't be welcome back. Even contemplating the thought is reproachful.

Do you pay the electricity? Do you take the risks with stolen property? Do you pay the taxes? etc... ? No?

But you are perfectly willing to shop there and consider poaching the customers. Brilliant. >>

I can see where your coming from. But in another perspective, you wouldn't have seen anyone attempting to do business with a customer. Because if the customer was given the proper attention on entering the store, the idea of poaching the customer wouldn't be possible. Also, if I owned a business, I sure as hell wouldn't be sitting down drinking coffee ignoring customers walking into my store.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    she asks you
    so you have not taken the first step

you are free to answer as you wish

perhaps-
    get your offer, then meet me in the street
    and I will look at it also.
    You may be doing her a big favor
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    That is pretty much stealing from the owner of the store. I would expect a very negative reaction if you got caught doing it. That was his customer, there to do business with him inside his store. You have no right to buy her coins until she leaves that store after declining his offer.

Imagine the inverse, if you owned a store and if someone was about to buy a coin from you and another customer ran up and talked them out of it telling them that he had one better or cheaper.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironic this thread is on same page as Horror Stories at the B&M coin shop thread...if a person voluntarily approaches you and asks you a question, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to answer it...it's not like you're intercepting her as she went to approach the owner of the store...she approached YOU.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    You were right in telling her you didn't own the shop and directed her to the owner. I have had the same thing happen in an antique store, the difference in my case was that the owner told a prospective seller that he didn't buy old toys, I followed the fellow out and bought two buddy l trucks for $75(this 30 years ago, I still made a super profit) Once the owner has declined, I think all bets are off and you are free to do what you want, outside the shop!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have bought a few items in the parking lot of pawn shops when they were told low buy prices inside by the owners. If i was in a coin shop that i never went to often or cared about and had a pocket full of cash, WHY NOT buy. Dealers do not have an issue buying for cents on the dollar. The seller should be happy because they got more and you should be happy cause you saved some money.

I have been tempted a few times to get a table at some local shows and just buy coins. I would have nice banners made and say something like "coin buyer only, no sales"
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

JMO Respect the man's business, he is there all year round and foots the bills always, not just when times are good, I realize the situation would be tempting but the right thing to do is.....do the right thing...respect.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I would do. If I was sure the owner would give her a fair shake I'd probly direct her to the owner and maybe see if she had any worth serious money and advise her accordingly. If he was one a those who would gloat over how bad he ripped her I'd say screw him and probly try to buy them myself [tho I wonder why I'd be in his shop in the first place].

Our local club had their annual coin show today. When I sent email notification to fellow employees I advised that if they had stuff to sell that they make sure to know what they had and what it was worth.
  • Options
    I have a question. How do we know the integrity of the coin shop owner even before any talking between the customer and the owner has even started?
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question. How do we know the integrity of the coin shop owner even before any talking between the customer and the owner has even started? >>

Great discussion guy and girls! I didn't expect as much.

To answer this question, I was a regular at this shop and had bought a lot of things from her.
    She recognized me whenever I walked in but never had a friendship basis.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you have to make a killing? Is that difficult to be fair?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    So I walked into the Pet shop with a T-Bone steak and started waving it in front of the dog cages.
    Some lady made a citizens arrest for cruelty to animals. She was from PETA.

NEVER take food into pet stores. image

Brought to you by Saturday Nite Live !
  • Options

<< <i>Why do you have to make a killing? Is that difficult to be fair? >>

Because they can.
  • Options
    So what is a "fair " price? If the dealer quickly figured the coins were worth a grand, what should he give the woman, $100? $250? $500? What if he honestly thought a grand was the worth number and gave her half, then found out that he had graded a couple of coins wrong and that he might get $600 if he was lucky? Does he call her back? Or if one was worth much more, then does he send her a check? I know how most antique dealers buy, and I suspect it is the same for coin dealers.
    Just a note of explanation. I am fairly new to coin collecting, but have bought and sold antiques for over 35 years and I feel that much of what I learned in that field is applicable in the world of coins.
  • Options

But you are perfectly willing to shop there and consider poaching the customers. Brilliant. >>

I totally agree with everything written here. The notion that this is a "tough question" or something even worthy of debate is absurd.

If you want to buy merchandise directly from the public set up your own retail shop and run ads in the yellow pages and local papers. And then, one day, when your sitting in your shop, see how you react when a customer in your store tries to buy merchandise from another customer in the exact scenario you've described.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do you have to make a killing? Is that difficult to be fair? >>

Interesting question. I wonder what a few of the "Trusted Dealers" here have to say.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>

I totally agree with everything written here. The notion that this is a "tough question" or something even worthy of debate is absurd.

If you want to buy merchandise directly from the public set up your own retail shop and run ads in the yellow pages and local papers. And then, one day, when your sitting in your shop, see how you react when a customer in your store tries to buy merchandise from another customer in the exact scenario you've described.

>>

End of message. It's really stealing. It's one thing to stand outside of McDonald's with a sign that says " Will work for food" It's quite another to hold up a sign that says " These hamburgers suck".

In both cases, it's trespassing. Who can't figure it out yet ?
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    .....she walks up to you and asks if you buy coins.

If I had the b@lls I would say, "Yes I do buy coins, but I'm not the owner. I think I can make a better offer, but you should talk to the owner first. Here's my card."
    Of course you need to have the reserves to back up the claim if she has some nice coins.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I would always defer to the owner of the store. Doing anything else is extremely unethical. If this question even needs to be asked, we're in a sorry state in this country image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    If I didn't desire a long term relationship with the dealer, I'd make my interest known to her.
  • Options

<< <i>The notion that this is a "tough question" or something even worthy of debate is absurd. >>

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

And with all the threads that get posted here about ripoff dealers, you'd think the idea of doing such a thing wouldn't even enter the minds of those who are certain of their moral superiority when it comes to how they treat others. But then again, lots of people seem to have a way of being able to justify their actions (the dealer was probably going to rip that little old lady, anyway- right?) such that they are in the clear, regardless of their actions.

Or it could be something else altogether.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The notion that this is a "tough question" or something even worthy of debate is absurd. >>

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

And with all the threads that get posted here about ripoff dealers, you'd think the idea of doing such a thing wouldn't even enter the minds of those who are certain of their moral superiority when it comes to how they treat others. But then again, lots of people seem to have a way of being able to justify their actions (the dealer was probably going to rip that little old lady, anyway- right?) such that they are in the clear, regardless of their actions. >>

I'm honestly stunned that so many people here seem to think it is OK to try to encroach on a store owner's turf (literally and figuratively), involve themselves in this transaction or otherwise make their interest known to the "elderly woman".

• Options

<< <i>I'm honestly stunned that so many people here seem to think it is OK to try to encroach on a store owner's turf (literally and figuratively), involve themselves in this transaction or otherwise make their interest known to the "elderly woman". >>

I see a big difference in being approached by the seller as opposed to approaching the seller.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a question. How do we know the integrity of the coin shop owner even before any talking between the customer and the owner has even started? >>

To answer this question, I was a regular at this shop and had bought a lot of things from her.
    JT >>

I see. This changes the whole story quite a bit, I think. The way it sounded originally, it appeared as if you and her just met for the first time.
  • Options

<< <i>Why have her sell it to the guy for dirt cheap, then have him turn around and sell it to you at jacked up price? >>

And what if the dealer a honest person?
  • Options
    Since you're looking at coins, she walks up to you and asks if you buy coins.
    She says she has several more albums in her car.

FREEZE FRAME right there.

Where are you looking at coins ? In someone's store. On someone's property and place of business.
    She is there to sell her wares, and you are there to buy. Not from her, but from the store owner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, carry on !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm honestly stunned that so many people here seem to think it is OK to try to encroach on a store owner's turf (literally and figuratively), involve themselves in this transaction or otherwise make their interest known to the "elderly woman". >>

I see a big difference in being approached by the seller as opposed to approaching the seller. >>

I don't. In the OP's example, you're in someone else's coin shop, and the "elderly lady" has entered the shop specifically because it is a place where she can sell her coins. In other words, this wasn't some random chance encounter where you ran into someone with coins to sell at a picnic or something.

The only reason you met the lady is because she was there to meet someone else. I.e. the owner.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

JT >>

I see. This changes the whole story quite a bit, I think. The way it sounded originally, it appeared as if you and her just met for the first time. >>

You seem very confused.

In the OP's example, he was meeting the elderly lady for the first time. It was the shop owner who recognized him, but with whom he was not friends.

Neither of these facts change anything, however.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I see a big difference in being approached by the seller as opposed to approaching the seller. >>

I don't. In the OP's example, you're in someone else's coin shop, and the "elderly lady" has entered the shop specifically because it is a place where she can sell her coins. In other words, this wasn't some random chance encounter where you ran into someone with coins to sell at a picnic or something.

The only reason you met the lady is because she was there to meet someone else. I.e. the owner. >>

I have no fiduciary duty whatsoever to the dealer, only the obligation not to engage in business interference. There is a profound difference.
  • Options
    Breathe image
  • Options

<< <i>I have no fiduciary duty whatsoever to the dealer, only the obligation not to engage in business interference. There is a profound difference. >>

I suppose it depends how you define "business interference".

In any case, if you think this is acceptable behavior, I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably talk to her quietly but respect what she had with her for the dealer and just let her know that if she didn't like their offer, I would be happy to chat with her about it....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have no fiduciary duty whatsoever to the dealer, only the obligation not to engage in business interference. There is a profound difference. >>

I suppose it depends how you define "business interference".

In any case, if you think this is acceptable behavior, I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise. >>

I'm defining fiduciary duty and business interference as I believe any other lawyer would do. In any event, I agree that the dealer would be furious and rightly so. Unfortunately for him, I think the law is on his side in one instance and not the other.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

JT >>

I see. This changes the whole story quite a bit, I think. The way it sounded originally, it appeared as if you and her just met for the first time. >>

You seem very confused.

In the OP's example, he was meeting the elderly lady for the first time. It was the shop owner who recognized him, but with whom he was not friends.

Neither of these facts change anything, however. >>

Oh, okay. I misread the post. Nevertheless, it appears that the OP has given the impression, at least to me, that the shop owner was indeed dishonest in some manner.
    Furthermore, it appears that the elderly woman asked "do you buy coins?", which is a common question to ask a store employee. A reasonable implication would be that the elderly woman thought that the OP worked at the store.

i think the correct situation this case was to refer to the shop owner, namely because I believe that the elderly woman's intention was to sell to the store, and not to the OP.
  • Options
    If the dealer is a scum sucking bottomfeeder ripoff he probably deserves a little turnabout is fair play treatment. I'd probably do nothing to help him. Would anything change if it was at a show as opposed to his place of business?
  • Options

<< <i>If the dealer is a scum sucking bottomfeeder ripoff he probably deserves a little turnabout is fair play treatment. >>

So basically, two wrongs make a right?

BTW- if the dealer is a scum sucking bottomfeeder ripoff, why are you in his store in the first place? If you're buying from him, you are benefitting from and enabling his scum sucking ways.

Rhetorical question- is it okay to buy from a (known to you as such) scum sucking dealer who rips off little old ladies, as long as you're not the one who does the actual ripping off?
  • Options

fly your true colors high, folks.

I am taking notes for future use.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If the dealer is a scum sucking bottomfeeder ripoff he probably deserves a little turnabout is fair play treatment. >>

BTW- if the dealer is a scum sucking bottomfeeder ripoff, why are you in his store in the first place? If you're buying from him, you are benefitting from and enabling his scum sucking ways.

Rhetorical question- is it okay to buy from a (known to you as such) scum sucking dealer who rips off little old ladies, as long as you're not the one who does the actual ripping off? >>

a. For guys like him, every deal he doesn't get is a plus for the other guy/gal that he didn't screw in the process.

b. I think I brought that up in my first post to the thread. I imagine there could be other reasons to be in his shop other than to buy coins.

c. If he was known to me to be a crook, I wouldn't be doing business with him.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    It is simliar to buying from a vest pocket dealer at a coin show.

It is ok for them to show and sell to the dealers who paid for tables. But if a fellow attendee wants to look, it is bad. Even after the dealer has turned them away.

One show, I think the show police were on us before the guy even opened his box. It was slow since most of the dealers were already gone so we probably stuck out.

Another time we were told to leave, I think money was being exchanged at that point.

Anytime people have paid money for the right to transact business, you should ask their permission before intruding on that right or be prepared to face the consequences if caught.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is simliar to buying from a vest pocket dealer at a coin show.

It is ok for them to show and sell to the dealers who paid for tables. But if a fellow attendee wants to look, it is bad. Even after the dealer has turned them away.

One show, I think the show police were on us before the guy even opened his box. It was slow since most of the dealers were already gone so we probably stuck out.

Another time we were told to leave, I think money was being exchanged at that point.

Anytime people have paid money for the right to transact business, you should ask their permission before intruding on that right or be prepared to face the consequences if caught. >>

Well said.
  • Options

<< <i>

Rhetorical question- is it okay to buy from a (known to you as such) scum sucking dealer who rips off little old ladies, as long as you're not the one who does the actual ripping off? >>

You sound like you support the turd. Like crooked cops who support their own kind or lawyers who won't tackle their own kind. How bout if you wait for her in the parking lot and then tell her?
  • Options
    If you neighbor was going into surgery and you saw the surgeon drinking an hour before surgery, would you warn the patient?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file