Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Carson City Morgan Grading Standards........

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
Based on many of the slabbed Morgans I have looked at, it seems that Carson City grading at the TPG's is a tad looser than other Morgans. With that in mind, I have an 82CC that is raw that I am planning on submitting as one of my free submissions. Does it have a chance at 65 or will it max out at 64? What say you?

imageimage
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Actually PCGS grades various date CC Morgans to different standards. They have always been typically very liberal on dates like the 85-CC and 90-CC and typically conservative on dates like the 93-CC, 79-CC, etc. The commonest dates like the 82-CC, 83-CC and 84-CC fall somewhere in between.

Your 82-CC pictured will not go 65 unless you really luck out IMO.
  • Options
    65 Beautiful
  • Options
    64 would be max IMO
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64.... A lot of chatter on the obverse.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    ms64 too many hits on the cheek for 65......

• Options
    I'm no Morgan guy, but my first thought was that I'd be glad with a 64 from that.
  • Options

That is a nice 82-CC, but IMHO I don't think PCGS will go over a 64, especially since a 82-CC in 65 is a fairly "common" coin to aquire. It does seem to be a very high end 64, and on a good day may pass as a 65 about 1 out of every 5 submissions. The strike is not 100% over the ear, and just a tad to much chatter over the cheek. Still a tremendous coin, but I just like Morgans.

On another note, I have not found PCGS to loosen their grading standards for the CC mints over other mints in my experience. There will always be the coins that just made the grade, average for the grade, or high end for the grade, which will vary depending upon who is doing the looking at the time.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Darn stagecoaches,

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    No chance @ 65 IMO, but virtually a lock 64. Very nice attractive coin...just a tad too much chatter to be considered gemmy.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on MS64 at PCGS and NGC
    BUT you may get lucky as have seen plenty of 65----- coins
    in both holders
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chance at 65. Most likely a 63 with a slim shot at 64.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say 64 is tops and no shot at 65. With CC Dollars, the look can compensate for hits and this one is attractive, but misses the mark for a 65

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    MS64, no chance at an MS65.

-Paul
  • Options
    MS-64, IMHO.

Just a few nicks from the train ride to the Treasury in DC.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    That grades as a 63. But as you stated they are loose on the CC's so I can see this going 64. The fact that they grade different dates and mint marks to different standards affects their credibility as far as I am concerned. A coin is a coin. The date and mint mark do not matter. If certain dates dont have as many nice coins so be it. How can you have "grading standards" when they are inconsistent throughout a series.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63-64

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file