Home Precious Metals
Options

Has anyone seen or heard of fake gold nuggets being made and sold?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since the larger gold nuggets bring a premium over melt, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to melt some scrap gold and to cast a large fake nugget and then perhaps to put it in a rock tumbler to make it look like it was in a river bed for a few years. I hope I'm not giving anyone any ideas.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    If someone was to pour their own gold nugget, I'd imagine they would make a mold and then line the interior of the mold with very coarse rock salt before pouring. This would create all those nooks and crannies so characteristic of natural nuggets. The salt could then be disolved with warm tap water. Thats how i'd do it anyway!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMMMMMMMMM......nooks and crannies...........glllllllllllll

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I hope the chinese aren't reading this thread.image

• Options
    With six you get egg roll!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    you can be sure scammers have thought of these ideas and more.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend and I melted a 10 oz bar of silver when we were young (yeah, that's what I did in HS. Talk about a dork).

Map gas torch + silver bar + bucket of water = .999 pure nuggets

I imagine it would work the same way for gold.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    As they say in the refining business; "A fool and his nuggets are soon parted!"
  • Options

<< <i>As they say in the refining business; "A fool and his nuggets are soon parted!" >>

Yikes. That sounds painful.