Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kankakee Valley Coin & Currency Show - Sunday March 15, 2009 - Bradley, Illinois (Updated 3/17/2

I am putting together a coin show in Bradley, Illinois (a suburb of Kankakee) on Sunday, March 15, 2009. The following is some brief information on the show.

===FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 02/27/2009===

Doran Of Illinois Coin Shows is pleased to announce the following show:

SPRING 2009 KANKAKEE VALLEY COIN & CURRENCY SHOW

Sunday, March 15, 2009
9:00AM - 4:00PM
Quality Inn & Suites Hotel
800 N. Kinzie Ave. (IL Rt. 50 - 1 Mile South of the I-57 interchange)
Bradley (Kankakee), Illinois

Free Admission and Free Parking

Dealer Tables: 38
Price: $40 for 1st table, $35 for each additional table

Additional information on this show can be found on the Doran Of Illinois Coin Shows website at www.doics.com/kankakeevalley.aspx or call (217) 663-0276.

DORAN OF ILLINOIS COIN SHOWS - Promoting Numismatics in the Land of Lincoln
DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

Comments

• dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
    imageimage Note to everyone: For those who may have an issue with me bumping this thread, I apologize but I may have to do this a few times or more to keep it from being drowned out by the other threads. The event which I posted is just as important as others being mentioned here. image

For those here who live in Illinois and NW Indiana, and are dealers - I have only 8 tables left out of 38, and will sell fast. If interested, PM me. Thanks! image
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Consider this a "courtesy bump", but perhaps there are obvious reasons why this post and similar ones by this OP in the past have been largely ignored. Perhaps there are lessons to be learned from these snubs both on these forums and at the shows themselves.

One more thing... This show is scheduled in direct conflict with the ANA convention. That is not a smart move by the promoter.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consider this a "courtesy bump", but perhaps there are obvious reasons why this post and similar ones by this OP in the past have been largely ignored. Perhaps there are lessons to be learned from these snubs both on these forums and at the shows themselves. >>

Could it be that nobody knows WTH Kankakee is? image

"I am putting together a coin show in Bradley, Illinois (a suburb of Kankakee)..."

• I will be at that same motel March 25th - 29th , for the IL. State Pool Tournament.........

3 big banquet rooms ( + some smaller rooms ) filled with over 100 pool tables !

Nothing but shooting 8 am till the wee hours........

Maybe I'll take a road trip on the 15th if the weathers nice .

That's only a hour or less from Chicago Burbs...

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consider this a "courtesy bump", but perhaps there are obvious reasons why this post and similar ones by this OP in the past have been largely ignored. Perhaps there are lessons to be learned from these snubs both on these forums and at the shows themselves. >>

Agreed. There are plenty of sites that will list your show for free without the need to take up space on a national forum advertising a 30 table show, especially when the vast majority of posters here aren't located close enough to go to the show anyway even if they wanted to. The silence should speak volumes. Your audience is central/east central/southern IL, so list it on the ILNA site, with the local clubs, and in Coin World and Numismatic News.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

<< <i>

"I am putting together a coin show in Bradley, Illinois (a suburb of Kankakee)..." >>

Kankakee - county seat of Kankakee County, Illinois - located in NE Illinois, 60 miles south of downtown Chicago, a half-hour drive from the south burbs along I-57.
    Bradley - suburb of Kankakee (sandwiched between Kankakee and Bourbonnais, the summer home of the Chicago Bears.

Now, this should give you a good idea where it is.

<< <i>I will be at that same motel March 25th - 29th , for the IL. State Pool Tournament.........

3 big banquet rooms ( + some smaller rooms ) filled with over 100 pool tables !

Nothing but shooting 8 am till the wee hours........

Maybe I'll take a road trip on the 15th if the weathers nice .

That's only a hour or less from Chicago Burbs...

Dan >>

Hello Dan - it is a 1/2 hour from the south burbs. Hope to see you there.

<< <i>

Agreed. There are plenty of sites that will list your show for free without the need to take up space on a national forum advertising a 30 table show, especially when the vast majority of posters here aren't located close enough to go to the show anyway even if they wanted to. The silence should speak volumes. Your audience is central/east central/southern IL, so list it on the ILNA site, with the local clubs, and in Coin World and Numismatic News. >>

Actually, southern Illinois is too far. You're right, the audience would be from central and eastern Illinois, and don't forget those from the Chicagoland area. While there is a monthly show in Itasca the same day, doesn't mean that every collector in the Chicagoland area would go there. Some will go to one or the other or both. The show is being advertised in the ILNA Digest and Website, NN, CW, coinshows.com, and the local papers.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>

Agreed. There are plenty of sites that will list your show for free without the need to take up space on a national forum advertising a 30 table show, especially when the vast majority of posters here aren't located close enough to go to the show anyway even if they wanted to. The silence should speak volumes. Your audience is central/east central/southern IL, so list it on the ILNA site, with the local clubs, and in Coin World and Numismatic News. >>

There are plenty of show announcement posts on the forum (eg: Buena Park is active now, Parsipanny gets posted about every month). Just because it is a smaller show doesn't mean it isn't welcome. This is the U. S. Coin forum, show announcements, show reports are welcome, even from smaller shows. The subject line does have "Illinois" in it, so I don't know what the beef is.

<< <i>

<< <i>

There are plenty of show announcement posts on the forum (eg: Buena Park is active now, Parsipanny gets posted about every month). Just because it is a smaller show doesn't mean it isn't welcome. This is the U. S. Coin forum, show announcements, show reports are welcome, even from smaller shows. The subject line does have "Illinois" in it, so I don't know what the beef is. >>

Good point, RedTiger - I am only mentioning this show even though it is in Illinois and the fact of the matter is that there is another show in the Chicagoland area - the monthly NOISE show in Itasca. Or how about the annual coin show in Fort Wayne, Indiana. There are shows everywhere and thus one is just as important as another. Going back to my show - I put this show together from scratch and also from past experience. It is hard work - negotiating contracts with hotels, getting the dealers interested in setting up, getting the public interested in coming, meeting deadlines. If putting together a show was easy, anyone can do it. Presently I have sold 32 out of 38 tables at the show in Bradley, and I expect that there will be some last minute dealers who would like to set up. I might be bumping this thread a few more times as this, like others, gets buried with other postings.
    imageimageimageimage
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

I leave in the north suburbs of Chicago, and I could not give you a very good idea where it is. Downstate somewhere, presumably image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

There are plenty of show announcement posts on the forum (eg: Buena Park is active now, Parsipanny gets posted about every month). Just because it is a smaller show doesn't mean it isn't welcome. This is the U. S. Coin forum, show announcements, show reports are welcome, even from smaller shows. The subject line does have "Illinois" in it, so I don't know what the beef is. >>

Since this is essentially a solicitation by the coin show promoter, I believe that this thread belongs on the BST and is thereby subject to the rules thereof.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I live in the Chicago suburbs and I didn't know Kankakee had "suburbs!" I have no problem with the promoter posting it and I'm sure it'll be a fine show. It has to be better than the POS Lemont show that is held in the burbs. The promoter of that show needs to let it die.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • There is already a 3rd Sunday show in Chicagoland.

How about posting a list of the dealers you have signed up?

It would help me make the determination of which show of the two I would attend.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

<< <i>I live in the Chicago suburbs and I didn't know Kankakee had "suburbs!" I have no problem with the promoter posting it and I'm sure it'll be a fine show. It has to be better than the POS Lemont show that is held in the burbs. The promoter of that show needs to let it die. >>

As a former resident, yes - Kankakee has "burbs". Bradley, Bourbonnais, Aroma Park, and two new villages that were recently established, Sammons Point and Limestone. Kankakee County has over 105,000 people living in it, with 2/3 of the population living in Kankakee, Bradley, Bourbonnais, and Aroma Park. Sometimes size matters. Don't forget that my show will attract collectors from Central and NE Illinois and NW Indiana. All of the info on my show is on my website - Link to the Kankakee Valley Coin & Currency Show webpage.

Regarding Lemont - has the show really gone downhill. I do know that Tom, the show promoter, runs a decent show. I have not been there in a few years, but I do know that my show will conflict with the NOISE show in Itasca, which, like any show, commercial or club sponsored, will have their loyalists and detractors. Same could be said for the Countryside show, which I will confess that I'd like to see that show and the people who run it go down the crapper big time. Now I hear that a new show is forming in the N/NW burbs in Rolling Meadows by one-half of the pair that is running the NOISE show (young Joe). While this will give collectors another place to find the coins or currency that they're looking for, I feel that this may be the sign the coin market in the Chicagoland area will get too over satuated and one of the other monthly shows will be killed off as a result. Could be Lemont, could be Itasca, or could be Countryside - its anybody's guess. I'm not talking gloom and doom - I am just pointing out what could happen.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Regarding Lemont - has the show really gone downhill. >>

Yeah, the last time I tried to go, I couldn't even find it. I went to the supposed venue and it wasn't there. The time before that, when I actually found the place, the tables were half empty and it was just sad looking.

I don't think the Countryside show will fold anytime soon. It's the biggest regular suburban show and always seems to draw a strong crowd.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

<< <i>There is already a 3rd Sunday show in Chicagoland.

How about posting a list of the dealers you have signed up?

It would help me make the determination of which show of the two I would attend. >>

I'd be happy to - here is the list of dealers as of 3/11:

Doran Coins
    D&G Coins and Cards
    P&J Coin & Collectibles (local dealer)
    Baker Numismatics
    Carl's Coins
    B&L Coins (local dealer)
    B&R Coins
    I-Coin
    Rassi's Coins
    Northern Illinois Coin Exchange (local dealer)
    Mike's Marketing Concepts
    Jim Niccum Coins
    Tim Mecum Coins
    Jade Rare Coin
    In God We Trust (currency)
    Baer's Coins
    Hardy's Coins (local dealer)
    Mike's Marketing Concepts
    Moweaqua Currency & Coins
    RS Coins
    JDP Coins (world coins)
    Bobby G's

The majority of dealers present are from downstate Illinois and the local area. If you want to know more about the show, visit The Kankakee Valley Coin & Currency Show webpage.
  • Is it true that everyone who comes to this show gets a free bumper sticker that says, "The last person leaving Kankakee, turn out the lights"?

<< <i>Is it true that everyone who comes to this show gets a free bumper sticker that says, "The last person leaving Kankakee, turn out the lights"? >>

Well, if this was 1981, then yes. But these days the lights in Kankakee are always on. imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>Regarding Lemont - has the show really gone downhill. >>

Yeah, the last time I tried to go, I couldn't even find it. I went to the supposed venue and it wasn't there. The time before that, when I actually found the place, the tables were half empty and it was just sad looking.

I don't think the Countryside show will fold anytime soon. It's the biggest regular suburban show and always seems to draw a strong crowd. >>

I remember setting up at the Lemont show when it was in the VFW hall (which reminded me of one's basement because it was dimly lit and it smelled musty). My last Lemont show was a few years ago when it was in a park district building. Nice facility, but a bit out of the way. I have not been there since.

Regarding Countryside, I have plenty of reasons why I wish for it to fold, of which all of them I cannot post without getting "poofed"!

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I leave in the north suburbs of Chicago, and I could not give you a very good idea where it is. Downstate somewhere, presumably image >>

You're correct - known as the "speed bump" between Chicago and Champaign-Urbana. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading this thread makes me think "Tacoma Bob" and Doran are related (For those in the Pacific NW who know of Bob and his coin shows...........)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Reading this thread makes me think "Tacoma Bob" and Doran are related (For those in the Pacific NW who know of Bob and his coin shows...........) >>

No relation, Bochiman - never heard of "Tacoma Bob" til now.
    image 2 more days. image Only have 5 tables left and I get this feeling that they might get filled. image
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, some of the comments posted here are extremely rude and quite pretentious. Seriously, not all of us here are able to go to the ANA show, or would be willing to travel more than 50 miles for ANY coin show... not all of us here are dealers and some of us are actually just collectors!!! image

I used to live in the south Chicago suburbs and would likely be going to the show if I still lived in the area. There are dozens of show announcements posted here on the forum for both very large shows and for small shows. Seems to me like the negative comments from some of you replying to this thread speaks more volumes about your own character than the OP. It has definitely changed my opinion about some...

After reading the previous threads, I am disappointed in the attitudes of some regarding shows like mine. I do not expect someone from New York or California to come to my show, but there are some forum members who live in Illinois and Indiana who might want to come and the whole purpose of this posting is to let those here know that the show is coming up. I have put in a lot of work by myself to make this show and my other one in southern Illinois happen. I do not make a boatload of money putting together these shows, but the reward I get is knowing that collectors are finding what they want and at the same time the dealers are doing business.

I understand that the ANA show is going on in Portland, Oregon, but not everyone can go there. Honestly, I would love to go, but its too far away for me. I will have to wait until 2011 when the ANA comes to Chicago. And there is the NOISE show in Itasca - my show will not have an effect on that show as it is too far away. There are other shows like mine being posted here all the time. If it weren't for shows like mine and those sponsored by the local coin clubs, this hobby would not have a future - period! I am happy to see that there are some in the forum who understand what I am doing, and I thank them kindly.

Now, please act like adults and stop this pointless nit-picking.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand how you feel.

I made a post about the Kanawha Valley Coin club show here in WV. Its about the same size, 40 tables. Very small but worth going to. Thanks for posting and good luck.

<< <i>I understand how you feel.

I made a post about the Kanawha Valley Coin club show here in WV. Its about the same size, 40 tables. Very small but worth going to. Thanks for posting and good luck. >>

Thank you. image
    After a day's rest and recovering from my roles as coin dealer and show promoter, I am pleased to inform everyone that the Kankakee Valley Coin & Currency Show went very well this past Sunday. 21 dealers were set up and I estimate the number of people coming in at around 200-300. I must say that the crowds were very enthusiatic about the show and yours truly received a lot of praise for it. The dealers liked the show and I did not hear any negatives about it. I already have some pay their tables for the Fall show in October. I thought things went well, but there were some bleeps. When my wife and I arrived at the hotel at 6:30am, there were some things were done wrong - tables were not laid out right, no chairs, and the stage that was used for receptions was not removed from the hall as requested. Needless to say, I was glad I got to the hotel as early as I did or things would've been disasterous. The hotel was informed of the screw-ups and the employees who did the set-up will get reamed.

Here are a few pics from the show.....

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I went to the Itasca show instead. Wish I had traveled south instead of north that day.

Edited to add: Your statements about the Countryside show seem very deep seated in some type of personal problem with the promoters. I go to that show at least 4 times a year and have NEVER been dissapointed that I went. Its a very well laid out, well "stocked" show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file