Home Precious Metals
Options

Has anyone here weighed their bars and, if so, how close were they to the marked weight?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
For example, how close would a 10 Troy ounce silver bar be to 10.000 Troy ounces? When silver was below $5, did the fabricators really care if their bars were very slightly overweight? Was it more cost effective to give away a tiny amount of silver compared to the cost of precision fabrication? I know this is not really a practical concern but rather just an academic question.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    It has been a while since I weighed any of mine, but the bars I weighed all seemed slightly overweight according to my scales. I had some Israel 1 Oz's that I sold that were all over the place in weight.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    I recently weighed a few Engelhard old poured bars. All of them were slightly overweight (3.03 troy, 5.02 troy, etc.)
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently weighed a few Engelhard old poured bars. All of them were slightly overweight (3.03 troy, 5.02 troy, etc.) >>

i totally agree on the old poured bars. always over.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the mid-1970s I weighed a bunch of the one ounce art bars then in vogue. They averaged 8% heavy. Silver was so cheap, it didn't matter.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming my theory that is was more cost effective to give away a little silver than to take the effort to use higher precision manufacturing techniques. If silver gets much higher, this may change.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for confirming my theory that is was more cost effective to give away a little silver than to take the effort to use higher precision manufacturing techniques. If silver gets much higher, this may change. >>

This bar...and the other 19 that I recently poured weighs 2.55 troy ounces. I did this intentionally so that everyone would get at least whats stated on the bar. At a cost of $15.50/oz delivered to my door, the extra .05 oz of metal cost me about 77 cents. Thats a loss I can live with if it means a solid reputation for me and my product.