Home Precious Metals

Poll: US Gold Commems

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
Poll to protect anonymity.

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I have never been able to find any that sold anywhere close to melt. I hate that everyone else says they do and I can never find any........image
    Becky
  • Just call me old fashioned, but I like to see 3 things on my bullion:

1) Weight
    2) Metal Type
    3) Fineness
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just call me old fashioned, but I like to see 3 things on my bullion:

1) Weight
    2) Metal Type
    3) Fineness >>

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I like commems. I've collected modern commemorative sets for many years and enjoy the original goverment packaging. A few of my favorites are the 1996 Four piece Smithsonian, 1997 Jackie Robinson Legacy set and the 2000 Library Of Congress bimetallic coins. image
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never been able to find any that sold anywhere close to melt. I hate that everyone else says they do and I can never find any........image >>

MSN Cashback, even at the current 8%, can get your net cost on commems close to melt.

I don't have any problem with the lack of weight, metal type and fineness. My 19th century U.S. gold coins don't carry any of that information.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in buying some of the civil war commems. Does that count?

• << <i>Just call me old fashioned, but I like to see 3 things on my bullion:

1) Weight
    2) Metal Type
    3) Fineness >>

I've heard this before. I don't mind using a red book and calculator on a US Issued Gold piece and trusting that I know how much gold is there( it's not like I am buying something made in China image ). I don't have a lot of these, but did pick some up when gold was down around 700.00 a few months ago.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>

<< <i>Just call me old fashioned, but I like to see 3 things on my bullion:

1) Weight
    2) Metal Type
    3) Fineness >>

I've heard this before. I don't mind using a red book and calculator on a US Issued Gold piece and trusting that I know how much gold is there( it's not like I am buying something made in China image ). I don't have a lot of these, but did pick some up when gold was down around 700.00 a few months ago. >>

Thats all well and good as far as determining how much total gold you own. But would you classify those pieces as true bullion? Although many of the classic gold issues are heavily influenced by the metal price, I just cannot connect them to being bullion in the true sense of the word. Otherwise, silverware, jewelry, all coins, and a myriad of other items which contain precious metals would have to be classified as "bullion". And im just not willing to accept such a broad defenition.

• << <i>

Thats all well and good as far as determining how much total gold you own. But would you classify those pieces as true bullion? Although many of the classic gold issues are heavily influenced by the metal price, I just cannot connect them to being bullion in the true sense of the word. Otherwise, silverware, jewelry, all coins, and a myriad of other items which contain precious metals would have to be classified as "bullion". And im just not willing to accept such a broad defenition. >>

The OP is calling it bullion, I guess we disagree on the meaning of the word. The reason I consider it a bullion purchase is because it is a US issued round with little numismatic premium at this point, but sells for close to spot. Now a Jackie Robinson $5.00 gold Commem I would not consider bullion. If I wanted to sell what I have, I know I could get around spot price for them, the same as if I had a credit suise bar, and probably get less of a premium than if it was an ASE, kind of like a Krug.

I guess you could say I feel it is one of those two'fers, I bought them for spot, so consider them like bullion, but they have a chance at some point to gain a numismatic value as well.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • "I guess you could say I feel it is one of those two'fers, I bought them for spot, so consider them like bullion, but they have a chance at some point to gain a numismatic value as well. "

And that is precisley what is so appealing to me about gold pandas. I can get most of them near melt, yet with the tiny mintages, and a growing Chinese economic powerhouse, they may someday be considered more for their rarity and beauty than for their gold content.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Yesterday, I walked into the local dealer and picked up a 2007 Abigail Adams uncirculated $10 Gold piece for $475. I've been buying proof $5 commems at $235 to $255. The dealer said he only treats them as bullion because it's too much trouble to try and sell them any other way.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Well over half of respondants include US gold commems in their bullion stockpile. I wonder if anyone who responded in the first option owns no gold of any kind. That could weigh the outcome even more towards those who own commems.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a good play as a gold investment, premiums too high. Strictly a collector market.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yesterday, I walked into the local dealer and picked up a 2007 Abigail Adams uncirculated $10 Gold piece for $475. I've been buying proof $5 commems at $235 to $255. The dealer said he only treats them as bullion because it's too much trouble to try and sell them any other way. >>

Oftentimes I can pick up the $5 commems in the $235 to $255 range with original mint packaging and the accompanying $1 silver coin as a bonus.