Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Baseball artwork help?

Hey all,

I was interested in knowing whether any of you had any rare or odd pictures of any of the historic MLB ballparks from the first half of the 20th century (or even further back, if they exist) - especially ones which clearly depict outfield advertisements. I am especially interested in images of the Harry M. Stevens panoramic stadium shots that were auctioned off by Lelands in 1996. These photographs were used to demonstrate to advertisers the state of their scoreboard ads for a given year. The image clarity of these photos is astonishing, as they were produced from glass plate negatives. The dates depicted ranged from 1934 to 1956 I believe, and many of the MLB ballparks were depicted, including: Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Fenway, and Braves Field.

Some of these panoramics made their way onto ebay at some point, and I managed to get my hands on shots of Yankee Stadium from 1936 and 1947. It was immediately after that I sold them back to collectors. Why did I do this you may ask?

I am an artist who specializes in painting vintage baseball scenes, most of which lie in the first half of the 20th century. Being a stickler for historical accuracy, these kinds photos are invaluable resources for my work - as they provide the exact look of stadium advertisement signs from each particular year. Though many photos exist of stadiums from these eras (especially to be found on Corbis, Getty Images, AP, etc.), it's harder to find reliable resources in regards to the stadiums from the 1930s and 1940s - which incidentally is my favorite period to depict.

Now, I've been visiting and contributing to this site for years now, so I'm well aware of the the photos in various threads, so I was hoping to find some new material. I am not into the collectibility aspect of them, as I make high quality photocopies of the images to keep for myself. What I ask of you fellows, is whether you own or have access to photographs such as these. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in buying any of them per se, but would most certainly love to arrange for high quality scans/photocopies of the panoramics to be made if anyone was willing to do so. I would certainly pay for the time spent, and if desired, would be happy to provide prints of my artwork for compensation.

I have enclosed a scan of one of the Harry M. Stevens photographs I speak of, as well as some examples of my artwork (more can be found at www.graigkreindler.com). If anyone can help out in anyway, please feel free to contact me via email/PM/phone/smoke signal.

Graig
gkreindler@gmail.com
http://www.graigkreindler.com

Comments

• Little help?

(Shamless bump)

www.graigkreindler.com
    www.twitter.com/graigkreindler
    www.facebook.com/graigkreindler
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    that's some great artwork Graig. Seen it before (maybe from a link from here?)

Sorry I can't help but good luck with your quest
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Awesome stuff as usual, Graig! Any plans on doing a Brooklyn Dodger or St. Louis Cardinal related piece in the future? I'd love to see something with Roy Campanella or Stan Musial!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could afford your work.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sorry, can't help with the pics ... but had to comment on how gorgeous your work is. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Whoa, thanks for the quick replies guys, as well as the compliments!! I really appreciate them, as well the chime-ins.

In regards to Dodgers and Cardinals stuff, cwazzy, I definitely have a lot of them in the works. Off the top of my head, I have 2 great Musial compositions that will make wonderful paintings in the near future. One of them is from behind home plate in '52, showing his wonderful stance and the outfield of Sportsman's Park, while the other is more of a study of just him at the plate from the viewpoint of the third-base dugout in St. Louis. Dodger stuff is also in abundance, including some nice Jackie images, as well as other shots of the boys of summer. Additionally, I have some great shots of Ebbets from the late 30s and 40s that I'll be tackling soon as well. Thankfully, I'm not running out of images anytime soon!

Also, I don't know if any of you will be around for the National in Cleveland, but I'll be there with my agent somewhere. I'm not exactly sure what booth we have, but I can certainly keep any of you posted if you're interested. I'll have a lot of the larger paintings on display, as well as smaller and medium sized ones, all of which contain exciting new imagery...

Again, thanks for the comments, guys!
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Done any Jackie Robinson? Love the style you do your artwork in. Keep it up!
  • No Jackies yet, Jason, but I do have one that's almost ready to go. It's a great shot of Jackie dancing off of third base at Ebbets Field during the '55 season, seemingly taunting the Phillies pitcher...it's rather wide in format, and taken from the point of view of the third base coach. I'm hoping I can have it done in time for the National (as well as a few smaller ones of him).
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude... this is absolutely priceless...

1966 Orioles

My Dad used to tell me stories about this series, especially how high Brooks seemed to jump when they won that game. He said it seemed like he jumped 8 feet high. I've seen pictures of this before, but never captured quite like this one. This picture brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. image
  • No jeffcbay, thank YOU for those incredibly kind words - they truly warm my heart!
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Very nice artwork! Do you have more Jeter, Clemente, or Mantle?
  • I have a Clemente in the works, a great shot of him rifling a throw from right field at Forbes. With Mantle, I have a few more on my website, and a LOT in the works. I've completed some smaller ones of him that will be on display at the National, as well as posted on my website once they're properly photographed...

As for Jeter, I have one that I'm planning right now, his HR off of Kim in the 2001 Series (Mr. November), though it's a bit far off from being anywhere near fruition. It seems like I'm focusing a lot less on the modern players lately, but will hopefully tackle more of them soon...
  • Hey all,

Just wanted to revive this thread in the hopes that y'all might keep me in mind if any ballpark (or really any great) photographs come up in collections. Additionally, I thought I could keep those who are interested in my work updated on some new stuff. Of course, for those of you who don't care, sorry for the waste of space!!

Here are some of the most recent paintings:

Graig
    gkreindler@gmail.com
    www.graigkreindler.com
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great stuff.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Graig,

those are simply spectacular!

thank you for sharing!

PoppaJ
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! AMAZING PAINTINGS! WHAT A TALENT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! AMAZING PAINTINGS! WHAT A TALENT! >>

Totally Agree !!!!!!!!

Amazing ---- when you get to the 80's (years from now) how about some Gary Carter pieces (Opening Day 1985 - WS Celebration in 86 - Gooden(Mets) pitching to Carter(Expos) 84 All-Star game - etc...)

Again wonderful stuff -- please keep posting
    Mike

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Your work is gorgeous!

Do you have any work of the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium?

Jeff
  • Thanks for all of the lovely compliments, guys!

thekid8 - I'll probably be tackling the 80s sooner than you think, as they're plenty of great ballplayers from that era that need to be painted. Gary Carter is certainly one of them. I'm still just on the lookout for some imagery that blows me away!

Baseballjeff - I don't have any paintings yet of Cleveland Municipal, though I do have two Feller images in the works, one of which is from his no-hitter on opening day in 1940 (Comiskey), and the other from a one-hitter at League Park. Both will be on display at the National next month.
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Hey guys,

I just got these two back from the photographer. The first image is of Bob Feller after pitching a one-hitter against the Red Sox on July 31, 1946. That one measures 28" x 30".

The second image should be pretty familiar, I hope. It measures at 22" x 28".

I have another painting that should be coming back soon too, as well as a few works in progress. Aside from starting some of the commissions for board members, I have these going on - and as usual, please excuse the poor photography:

Jackie stealing home against the Phillies, July 2, 1950. It's got a long ways to go, but it's starting to get there! It's a nice size at 24" x 32", and if some of you remember, was in progress at the National last year.

Ty Cobb batting against the White Sox on Opening Day, April 14, 1908 in Chicago's South Side Grounds. Cobb went 3-5 with a homer, but the Sox ended up with the victory. This bad boy's going to worked on a lot this week, and at 40" x 62", is quite the undertaking.

At 30" x 70", this is Mickey Mantle during a mid September game of his rookie year. Facing Feller and the Indians on that September 16 contest, the Yanks came up on top and took over first place for good.

This weekend, if you guys are in the Massachusetts area, I'll be giving a talk at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge on Saturday. It's their annual celebration of the National game and they've been kind enough to give me some time to make a fool of myself. So, if you want to come on by, bring some tomatoes!

Hope y'all dig it!

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Very impressive.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, as always. I love your attention to detail.
  • jasoneggertjasoneggert Posts: 486 ✭✭
    Love the Robinson! Hope you finish it soon!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of the Genius & and astronomically talented Norman Rockwell......I have a signed litho of the umpires in the rain.
    Your work is right on par with his. Fabulous.
    I have been to the Rockwell muesum. Just as enjoyable as the national baseball HOF.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Can you do this one? I'd be willing to pay upwards of $72.50 for it.

• Thanks for the wonderful words, everybody.

jay0791, your words are beyond humbling. I can't say that I agree with your sentiment about my work being on par with his, but I very much appreciate the compliment. That man was a master. And you're very much right about the museum, it's an absolute MUST SEE.
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to see part of the Rockwell collection when it was travelling in the late '90s, or maybe as late as 2000. I'd gladly take an ounce of either one of your talents and be better off for it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • These are pretty neat. Keep up the good work
    Travis
  • ya gotta love pbs, thursday their running the baseball show again, i remembered you wanted old pics but didnt read you wanted ads, i snapped a bunch of pic off the tv, but only 2 had ads only one has content, will try again thursday, i did get some cool pics of older players if you want them, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • I can't get the photo small enough to post on here (no Photoshop on the work computer, sorry) but this photo pictures the biggest outfield advertising sign of all time! It also happens to be one of the greatest stadium photos ever...

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=704&Lot_No=19428#photo
    Thank you,
    Jonathan Scheier
    Cataloger - Consignment Director
    Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
    JonathanS@HA.com
    1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at Consign to Heritage Auctions

Connect with Heritage at Connect with Heritage Auctions
  • Sorry, should have done it with a clickable link:

Link
    Thank you,
    Jonathan Scheier
    Cataloger - Consignment Director
    Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
    JonathanS@HA.com
    1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at Consign to Heritage Auctions

Connect with Heritage at Connect with Heritage Auctions
  • I would be a bazillionaire if I had that kind of skill.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    no you wouldn't - you'd still blow it all on Mad Dog 20/20 and friend pork rinds

• Hey all,

I just got some paintings back from the photographers, and have been able to update my website a little, so I thought I'd share what was going on both in the realm of finished pieces and on the easel for those of you who care.

Mickey Mantle, 9/16/51, 30"x70"

Ty Cobb, 4/14/08, 40"x62"

Home Run Baker, 1913, 11"x14"

Lou Gehrig, 1927, 9"x12"

Jimmie Foxx, 1933, 9"x12"

And for some in-progress shots (all of which have been photographed poorly by me):

Moe Berg, 1935, 11"x14"

Bob Feller, 1937, 9"x12"

Charlie Gehringer, 1925, 9"x12"

Eddie Collins, 1911, 9"x12"

Joe DiMaggio, 1936, 9"x12"

Lefty Grove, 1925, 11"x14"

Jim Thorpe, 1917, 11"x14"

Anywho, hope y'all dig 'em. A few of them have been updated to the ol' website, so if you feel like doing some reading, go git dirty!

If you're interested in following me on facebook, go here

And of course, any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Hey guys,

Here are a few more that I've completed over the past few months (some of which were finally professionally photographed)...

And I also have a ton more in progress, most of which are smaller portraits, including a few modern players. Or, more modern.

Also, if you're on Facebook want to follow me to keep up to date with what's on the ol' easel, check me out here.

Thanks, all!

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Hey guys,

Thought I'd start this bad-boy up again, as I just got a bunch of paintings back from the photographers.

The majority of them are on the smaller side, as I've been working a lot on these portraits when I take breaks from the large canvases. I guess because they're a little less involved, they find themselves completed a bit quicker.

Honus Wagner, 1909

Charlie Gehringer, 1925

Lefty Grove, 1925

Darryl Strawberry, 1987

Babe Ruth, 1922

I have about five more that need to be photographed in the next week too, so I'll post those when they come back into the studio. Also, I have a ton of in-progress stuff that I can post if anyone's interested.

And if not, that's cool too.

Hope y'all enjoy!

Graig

PS: Also, if you're on Facebook want to follow me to keep up to date with what's on the ol' easel, check me out here.
    www.graigkreindler.com
    Absolutely stunning! I REALLY wish I had your eye and artistic ability. Can't wait to see your first Roy Campanella piece! image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    As always, great job Graig!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Thanks for the wonderful compliments, guys!

Chris, hopefully soon my friend. I have a feeling he'll make his way onto a smaller canvas as a portrait in the near future. Or, if I can find the right action shot (and more importantly the time to do it) then I'm all over it.

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • You do amazing work, been following your stuff on facebook actually. I think it's about time you issue a set of trading cards!
  • That Robinson turned out amazing! Is it for sale?
  • Thanks HeritageAddict! I appreciate the Facebook fandom. For whatever reason, I really love getting people to see that page, as it's the one I update the most frequently.

Jason, unfortunately the Jackie painting was sold a few months ago. I do have other ones of the great man that I plan on tackling though, most of which are in the same size-range. Then again, a portrait would be nice too. So much work!

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
    What are your fees for commissioned work? I know I've asked this before but I have the world's worst memory. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • PM sent, Chris!
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Hey guys,

Just wanted to hip you to a contest I'm running on Facebook for a FREE painting. You can visit my fan-page from the link in my signature, and for the info:

From 12:01 AM on Monday, February 14 until 11:59 PM on Sunday, February 20, the person who gets the most new people to 'like' my fanpage will win a FREE 9" x 12" player portrait of their choice - currently a $2,400 retail value. That's right, you pick the player, and I'll paint him/her and ship it out to you.

Here are the only two rules:

1) Get as many people as you can to click 'like' on my fanpage.
    2) Ask the new fans to leave a comment on my wall identifying you, the person who referred them. Those who are newly referred can participate, too!

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message. And don't forget, the contest doesn't start until MONDAY. I can remind y'all about it in a few days if you'd like.

Good luck!!

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com

• << <i>I was interested in knowing whether any of you had any rare or odd pictures of any of the historic MLB ballparks from the first half of the 20th century (or even further back, if they exist) - especially ones which clearly depict outfield advertisements. I am especially interested in images of the Harry M. Stevens panoramic stadium shots that were auctioned off by Lelands in 1996. These photographs were used to demonstrate to advertisers the state of their scoreboard ads for a given year. The image clarity of these photos is astonishing, as they were produced from glass plate negatives. The dates depicted ranged from 1934 to 1956 I believe, and many of the MLB ballparks were depicted, including: Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Fenway, and Braves Field.[/IMG] >>

I know this is an old post, but since nobody has mentioned it, have you tried baseball-fever?
  • Hey CrazyMind2017, I am indeed a member of baseball fever. They do get their hands on a lot of great stuff on there, and I also try to contribute when I can. The digital model that's being made of Yankee Stadium from opening day is INCREDIBLE.
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post two football paintings I recently finished for a client.

Part of a triptych, I still have the third to do for him, depicting the scene between these two - Eli throwing to Tyree. I certainly hope that all three work out in the end!

Anywho, thought some of you might dig 'em!

Graig
    www.graigkreindler.com
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Typically spectacular work, Graig. One of the most exciting big game plays in NFL history.

I'm guessing your client isn't Bill Belichick? image