Home Precious Metals
Options

Indians Are Selling Gold - Is Their Thinking Right?

Link

Indians Are Selling Gold - Is Their Thinking Right?
February 23, 2009

The current strength of the gold price is leading to a massive gold sell off in India as holders of the precious metal cash out at high prices. Are Indians right to be selling their gold or should they be holding on?

This January the Bombay Bullion Association reported that gold imports plunged from 14 tonnes a year ago to just 1.8 tonnes because dealers can buy all they need from the scrap jewelry market. Local traders said they have people queuing up down the road to sell gold.

Indians have a strange habit of behaving rationally and buying cheap and selling high when it comes to gold. They were big buyers as prices tumbled last year. But have the smaller sellers got it right this time?

Double-top?
It could be that gold is about to form a double-top and will tumble after repeating its March 2008 high. A correction from a heavily overbought market is certainly possible with the emerging consensus among expert analysts on the all too numerous TV slots about gold a worrying sign.

However, a short correction might be followed by an even larger rebound and those selling now could feel clever for only a short period, and then be counting their losses.

On the other hand, the news about the global economic recession is not getting any better, and fears about bank nationalization are prompting a shift of wealth into precious metals.

These new holders of precious metals comprise billionaires and global central banks, and should likely far outweigh panic selling by the masses in India.

Inflation protection
Indeed, the poor are going to be ripped off by the rich once again as gold soars in price to an inflation adjusted high of $2,400 before moving upwards into bubble territory of $4-6,000 an ounce.

It is quite clear that we have not seen the end of the stock market sell-off in this bear market, and as stocks move lower over the next six months, it is surely likely that at least some of that money will end up in precious metals. Not bonds, which will shortly be decimated by a tsunami of inflation courtesy of the multiple global bailout packages.

History might repeat itself, but global economic circumstances have changed since last March’s gold price fall, and any price weakness should be seen as a buying opportunity. The Indian masses have got it wrong!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood

Comments

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to remember that it may be smart for Indians to sell gold, but not for Americans, depending on the respective currencies. The rupee may be done declining for now so it may be wise for Indians to sell. If you think the dollar may start to decline again soon, it would not be wise to sell in the US.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    $6000 an ounce? Yikes!!

Becky
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I'll keep stockpiling. I'm pissed because my money is trapped in a 457 and you can't draw it out without an unforeseen emergency and you have to provide documented proof of your emergency and even then there's no guarantee you'll get it.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>I'll keep stockpiling. I'm pissed because my money is trapped in a 457 and you can't draw it out without an unforeseen emergency and you have to provide documented proof of your emergency and even then there's no guarantee you'll get it. >>

Im in the exact same boat! Are you also a local government employee?image