Home Precious Metals
Options

Is slabbing of bullion bars on the horizon?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Came across an eBay auction just now for a 50 oz bar with a cert of authenticity (GSX). It doesn't appear to address the problems that any other certificate of authenticity does, but it got me thinking:

A small photo cert to be sold with the bar that resembles the old photoslabs: Picture of the bar, weight, and for larger bars, acid test for purity, displacement, maybe sonogram/xray/MRI to test for drill & fill. Maybe if appropriate, a band around the bar (like the GSA packages), or a tamper-proof baggy like currency, cards, and comics have. Results available online via specific serial number.

Good idea? Bad idea? Is someone already doing it? People slab coins worth less than $10, why not slab a $15 ounce of silver, let alone a $15,000 bar of gold?
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    Would you bodybag it if it was cleaned?image I think its actually a decent idea, especially with the economy pushing even more people into metals. The only problem I see is possibly very high costs for assays. I know that if I owned such a company, and had any sort of guarantee, im not going to slab a $15,000 chunk of gold without assaying it first!
  • Options
    I've a friend who Refuses to buy a gold bar that isn't sealed in it's original pkg..

Guess the next step will be slabbing the entire pkg.
  • Options
    Gosh, would you want to go through the trouble of investing in bars that NEEDED authentication? Frnakly, I would rather invest in govt-issued rounds that wouldnt need the extra time, trouble or expense of third part authentication. isn't that what AGEs and Maple Leafs and Krands are all about, anyway?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, would you want to go through the trouble of investing in bars that NEEDED authentication? Frnakly, I would rather invest in govt-issued rounds that wouldnt need the extra time, trouble or expense of third part authentication.

That's how I felt when TPGs started slabbing coins.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.