Home Metal Detecting

1626 galleon remains found

gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
This was in FL treasure coast paper.and may be old news.
Was found east of Indian River county.A bronze cannon was found a number of years ago leading them to the area.
They said the crew will use either airlift or underwater handheld blowers to retiieve the ships belongings.

They said the ship took 1 million pesos worth of valuables and 250 crew members down with her.
The ship was the Espiritu Santo el Mayor,a 480 ton galleon.

I dont live to far awayimage

Al

Comments

• Very cool.....Is it possible to go near it?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be out there on that beach with my PI and search day and night. Cheers, RickO
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool.....Is it possible to go near it? >>

The wreck site is about 14 miles east of the barrier islands. There are beaches with access along the coast opposite of the wreck but I am new to this area and don't know detailed directions on how to get there. If there are any board members nearby that are interested in exploring this area, let me know. It sure will be fun to look for some of those pesos!
    Al
  • 250 crew members seems like a lot of men.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    250 crew members would be exceedingly large for a ship of that time. Might be a typo... Cheers, RickO
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could very well be a typo........would human cargo/slaves be counted as crew members? Just a thought.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>250 crew members would be exceedingly large for a ship of that time. Might be a typo... Cheers, RickO >>

It's a lot for the time period, but apparently, not unheard of. Probably mostly soldiers. Here's a book excerpt I pulled from google (didn't feel like transcribing it, so I made a screenshot). Main part's at the bottom.