Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Got outbid by Mets-71 again

This guy is amazing. He had 561 auctions just in the last 30 days and won everyone. What kind of max bids do you put on an auction to win every single auction? He has been doing this for a couple years now and I can not recall him ever losing an auction. I bid $288 on a 1963 Topps # 34 Schofield PSA 8 and still got outbid. I have even had him outbid me on a card and the next time the same card came up on ebay he outbid me again.

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    maybe he follows you..and its personal
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Are you sniping or placing an early bid?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I was going to say that as well.. maybe if you snipe he will lower his max price
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I bid through esnipe. I does not bother be to be outbid. I was just commenting on his bidding. It just amazes me. I wonder how much it would actually take to outbid him on anything.
  • Options
    You should be happy. He wont outbid you on the next one!
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I've sold to him in the past and been outbid by him in the past too.

He always snipes (as do I) and he sets his snipe at an unimaginably high price that I am positive no one else would ever consider bidding.

He has NEVER lost and I bet he never will.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that he buys multiple copies of the same card. He apparently has a large (and well off) clientele.
  • Options

<< <i>He apparently has a large (and well off) clientele. >>

Either that or he has one amazing collection.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    His '63s have to be amazing.
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Mets-71 outbidded me on a few 1971 PSA 8's a while back and thats when I realized PSA 7's might be for me. There's very little chance of outbidding that guy.

Mike
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Here's a thread I started on mets-71 back in April 2008.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Is he buying for a pro athlete? I dunno who else can afford top-all bids on this many cards. That seems like a foolish way to bid on things.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mets-71 (Al) is a big time collector, I'm not so sure if he is a seller too.

I do know this, he pays fast and he pays with a MO or check.

I have sold to him at least 10 times.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Think he might win the PSa 9 on ebay already at 2500??
  • Options
    I know a guy that I did business with who was from New Orleans back in 2003-2004. He had deep pockets and told me that if he wanted a card he would put a proxy bid in for stupid amounts. One time he was after a 1972 Archie Manning PSA 10 rookie card. He won it for $2000. He told me his proxy was $10000! He was a straight shooter and I believe him. I guess the risk is that there is another crazy bidder.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Yeah win he actually hits another "crazy" bidder with a silly high proxy i am sure he will adjust some. I don't think even guys like this want to pay 5K for a 1968 common PSA 9.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah win he actually hits another "crazy" bidder with a silly high proxy i am sure he will adjust some. I don't think even guys like this want to pay 5K for a 1968 common PSA 9. >>

I wouldn't bet against it. Al seems to be of the mind that if he wants it, it's his. I've seen him pay absolutely stupid prices on some low pops in the '71 set. I'm talking 8-10x OVER the last recorded sale. The one that stands out was a pop 4 card that he had already won for $97 and $63 during the previous 18 months then he ran into another bidder and won the card for over $675! So, it's not like he bids high on stuff he needs. He already had at least 2 of the card. Even cost averaging, it doesn't make too much sense...
  • Options
    Was the 675.00 one hi end at least?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    more money than sense?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    If he is never outbid People must bid against that guy for fun just to cost him money!
  • Options

<< <i>If he is never outbid People must bid against that guy for fun just to cost him money! >>

They can't. He snipes and never places a low ball "placer" bid to show his interest in an item.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

"If he is never outbid People must bid against that guy for fun just to cost him money"!

What a crappy thing to do or say.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Dumb question, but with the way eBay hides the bidder names how can you tell its Mets-71?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    You can look him up by bidder name and view completed auctions in which he was the winner.
  • Options
    He has been outbid, and it was on my of my auctions image Good for me that day! Of course, I won twice as he won another one as well.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options

<< <i>If he is never outbid People must bid against that guy for fun just to cost him money! >>

C&C - so wrong to do, even though we all know you jest. Just the same, I'll let you know when I list my next set of cards from the series he and I were competing on earlier in the year. Hope you win...I could use the dough. Oh yeah, I'll let you know my reserve so you can start your bid there...

Nothing wrong with a good collector who knows what he needs for the collection and who follows through with the auction. If Mr Mets 71 is on the board, hello to you and let us know if the collection is ever available to the public. Oh, and good job on the '64 stand ups. You caught some of us napping on some well centered low pop 8's this year.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Must be nice. Wonder if he just sets a snipe of $10,000 on anything he wants? I mean he may aswell.
  • Options
    Mets-71 just paid over $5,000.00 for a 1952 topps psa 8 low number. Not sure of the POP.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>Mets-71 (Al) is a big time collector, I'm not so sure if he is a seller too.

I do know this, he pays fast and he pays with a MO or check.

I have sold to him at least 10 times.

Steve >>

hope he is careful...ever see "THAT" sign in the post office?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    It really bugs me when people hoard multiple copies of the same card in the same grade. What's the point, other than to be a jerk to other collectors?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It really bugs me when people hoard multiple copies of the same card in the same grade. What's the point, other than to be a jerk to other collectors? >>

Building multiple sets perhaps? There is a member here that posts mainly on the set registry forum with the ID MintMoondog who I believe has 5 graded 1975 Topps Mini sets, and I'm reasonably sure he isn't the only person to ever attempt more than one set. Maybe be a little more careful how you carelessly toss around the word jerk.
  • Options
    What sign in the Post office?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    To add to Nick's point, some collectors enjoy collecting multiple cards of the same player. They like the player and they like the particular card. There are a few cards like this to me, cards that aren't worth very much but are fun to have if you find one with nice eye appeal.

I think mickey71 buys mostly Mantle, Mays, and Aaron and has multiple copies of the same card. What's wrong with that?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    I'm not sure why anyone should care what someone else wants to collect or why they are buying something. But suggesting someone only buy one of a card or they are a jerk is inappropriate.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure why anyone should care what someone else wants to collect or why they are buying something. But suggesting someone only buy one of a card or they are a jerk is inappropriate. >>

I don't know if this is the case, but there's been hijinks between registry collectors where one collector will intentionally block another by bidding up or buying cards they know that their competitors need.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know if this is the case, but there's been hijinks between registry collectors where one collector will intentionally block another by bidding up or buying cards they know that their competitors need. >>

Someday I hope I am of the means that I can buy a baseball card for no other reason than to prevent someone else from owning it.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Building multiple sets perhaps? There is a member here that posts mainly on the set registry forum with the ID MintMoondog who I believe has 5 graded 1975 Topps Mini sets, and I'm reasonably sure he isn't the only person to ever attempt more than one set. Maybe be a little more careful how you carelessly toss around the word jerk. >>

Read my post again. I didn't call anyone a jerk. I asked a question. I love the holier than thou way that so many people come across on this board. If I want your opinion, I'll ask for it.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Read my post again. I didn't call anyone a jerk. I asked a question. I love the holier than thou way that so many people come across on this board. If I want your opinion, I'll ask for it. >>

Your post made you sound like a whiny baby. Too bad if you dont like hearing it. Now bid higher and stop crying.

Edited to add: I'll give my opinion whenever I like. Especially to point out a whiny baby.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Mets71 bids the way we all wish we could.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    don't successful tycoons get to be successful tycoons, as well as roundly despised by their competition, by simply buying up everything up everyone else wants just so they can say they did?

someday, i wanna be a tycoon, too. image
  • Options
    mintmoondog is a great guy and mets-71 even though I have only done 1 or 2 deals with him seems to be a great person also.
    This hobby needs more collectors like this, it seems to me a lot of people wants the sportscard market to collapse , and if this happens a lot of people will have kindling for the fireplace.

We need collectors and dealers like these two collectors to keep the hobby going and to keep fair market value. We NEED collectors/dealers that pay above what the book says it's worth or what the last auction recorded or average that the VCP says it is. This is how the hobby stays alive.

For the hobby to survive something has to go up in value, because if everything is bought at 10 to 20% less than what the last one sold for, well you figure it out. JMHO

off the soap box.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Your post made you sound like a whiny baby. Too bad if you dont like hearing it. Now bid higher and stop crying.

Edited to add: I'll give my opinion whenever I like. Especially to point out a whiny baby.

Nick, maybe if you spent more time being less of a douche, and less time being more of a douche then you wouldn't be such a douche.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Your post made you sound like a whiny baby. Too bad if you dont like hearing it. Now bid higher and stop crying.

Nick, maybe if you spent more time being less of a douche, and less time being more of a douche then you wouldn't be such a douche. >>

There should be an online rule stating that anytime a grown man calls another grown man a 'douche', or any derivative thereof, on a message board they should have to spend five minutes staring at themselves in the mirror and mouthing the words 'What the hell has happened to me?'
  • Options
    How do we know they are grown men?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Steve - image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Nick, maybe if you spent more time being less of a douche, and less time being more of a douche then you wouldn't be such a douche. >>

RonBurgundy was right about you last week when he said that you add nothing of substance around here. I am so glad he put you in your place.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    There should be an online rule stating that anytime a grown man calls another grown man a 'douche', or any derivative thereof, on a message board they should have to spend five minutes staring at themselves in the mirror and mouthing the words 'What the hell has happened to me?'

Don't judge me, douche.
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your post made you sound like a whiny baby. Too bad if you dont like hearing it. Now bid higher and stop crying.

Nick, maybe if you spent more time being less of a douche, and less time being more of a douche then you wouldn't be such a douche. >>

Lee - more or less of a douche isn't the issue - douchebaggyness is in the eye of the beholder.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    This thread has potential.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has potential. >>

Bag it, Steve . . .