Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will 2009 Lincoln's be more widely hoarded by people than the State Quarter series?

Do you think that the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Cent/New Reverse design will lead a larger number of people, collector's and non-collector's alike, to hoard more 2009 Lincoln's than the State Quarter Series?
Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Comments

• Yes, I do think that a large number of 2009 Lincoln's will be hoarded.

The question is WHEN will they be available to hoard. A great majority
    of them may not be released until years down the road.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • 21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I would suspect that the first and possibly the second in the series may well be hoarded. But as the year rolls on and people see there is no premium on them, they may well forget or not care about the last 2 in the series as far as hoarding............JMHO.............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I guess some people can spot a bargain when they see it. They sell for well above spot right now. So far, I have not spotted one in circulation, but I have a spot saved for it in my Dansco album. Chances are, the first one I see will be full of spots.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    In this economic environment I bet they will be hoarded in vaults by the government. Seems that many banks don't want to even try to get them with so many cents available.
  • 21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I guess some people can spot a bargain when they see it. They sell for well above spot right now. So far, I have not spotted one in circulation, but I have a spot saved for it in my Dansco album. Chances are, the first one I see will be full of spots.

What Dansco album do you have that will house all 4 plus proofs????????????? Mine only shows PD &S...............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely .... less expensive...but there are not enough minted for everyone in the US... (Mint claims only 240 million to date)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Yes!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only takes 50c to set aside a roll or a brick for $25.

Yes. They will be hoarded in huge quantities.
    Tempus fugit.
  • At first...........
    Look at the crazy prices on Ebay and watch the drop late next week when local banks start to receive shipments. I contacted several banks in Central Florida today and most said they ordered the new cent earlier this week or will do so shortly. They also mentioned ordering the new dollar( I don't collect dollars so I didn't ask about it)
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It only takes 50c to set aside a roll or a brick for $25.

Yes. They will be hoarded in huge quantities. >>

I didn't think about it in that regard. Far cheaper to hoard pennies than state quarters.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It only takes 50c to set aside a roll or a brick for $25.

Yes. They will be hoarded in huge quantities. >>

I didn't think about it in that regard. Far cheaper to hoard pennies than state quarters. >>

Yup! And only four versions, not 50.
    Lance.
  • <<At first...........
    Look at the crazy prices on Ebay and watch the drop late next week when local banks start to receive shipments. I contacted several banks in Central Florida today and most said they ordered the new cent earlier this week or will do so shortly. They also mentioned ordering the new dollar( I don't collect dollars so I didn't ask about it) >>

Which new dollar? One local bank has Harrisons already. I find banks have no knowledge of the new Native American dollar.
  • aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    The common person may hoard the regular business strike, but I think the real money to be made will be the mint set and proof set Lincoln cents.

I hear those will be made with the original copper percentages.

Thanks,

Chris
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the press ever announces the prices that are being realized on Ebay.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I am guessing they will be released later in the year by the FRB to banks. I believe the FRB has all the cents they need right now and will not be sending the new ones out until later this year. The economic downturn is most likely affecting coin distribution as well.

My guess is the coin exchange program by the Mint is where the few coins that are out there were acquired. As billions were minted, it will be a while, but they will be plentiful later on this year. Overpaying right now for something that will be common in a short while seems to be a mistake to me.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the press ever announces the prices that are being realized on Ebay. >>

............you're right! wait till katie couric does a story on them!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • I don't think so. I only got the state quarter set because there was no alternative.
    I don't think there are nearly as many people interested in buying large quantities of new Lincolns.
    JMHO
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭
    I am waiting for the first day coin covers for the lincoln similar to the first day of issue state quarters. If the mint does them they would be a big hit I believe. Can always hope.

• << <i>At first...........
    Look at the crazy prices on Ebay and watch the drop late next week when local banks start to receive shipments. I contacted several banks in Central Florida today and most said they ordered the new cent earlier this week or will do so shortly. They also mentioned ordering the new dollar( I don't collect dollars so I didn't ask about it) >>

My bank did the same thing and what they were sent were old cents. Keep an eye out for that as what I am hearing is there are no guarantees the banks are actually receiving the new cents. If your does, buy bricks of them, then PM me ;-]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file