Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Took alot of intestinal fortitude, but....(coin arrived...pics added)

I finally ordered myself a 1998 gold 1/2 oz panda for my set. With a scant mintage of just 4,168 pieces struck, it is far and away the single rarest "regular issue" gold panda. Since 1982, there have been a grand total of 139 different gold pandas. A new design each year (28 years), coupled with 5 sizes to choose from yields this number (1982 had just 4 sizes). With gold close to $1,000/oz now, this coin has an intrinsic value of just $500. Most of the 28 different years of 1/2 oz panda can be had for a fraction above melt, there are only a handful of true "keys". I had an internal struggle to justify spending $1,250 for a half ounce of gold, but to say I now own the single rarest of all 139 gold pandas IS kinda cool. I'll post photos of the coin when it arrives.

Comments

• Options
    Wow! Nobody cares about the single rarest coin in one of the most widely collected bullion series worldwide huh?
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I don't many folks that collect these.... maybe there are more out there than I realize but I rarely see them talked about on her unless you post something about them. I don't collect them because I can't afford them... plus they are Chinese made and I don't collect Asian coins.... sorry... I
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    gecko,

We care image

Your original post probably got pushed to page 2,3.. before anyone fully caught on to it. Also I agree with ASUtodd's assessment; although my primary focus is collecting world gold, I do not focus on modern bullion issues, so its importance may not be realized fully by me.
    Anyway after a little research I do see its importance in the Panda series ... Congratuationsimage

I love the designs .. maybe I should add a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. to my collection since after looking at my collection seems like I do have a few coins which may be considered modern bullion issues by many. image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect bullion so they are of little interest to me personally. Generally I feel that getting something with mintages in the dozens is pretty cool, but collecting 18th C. proof British halfpennies is another area with few collectors.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the addition. You have an impressive set in the works.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Congrats! frankly, I just missed your thread and then it got pushed to another page. Nice to realize a goal, i'm glad you pushed forward with it!!

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks fellas....I feel all nice and fuzzy now.image Although I have to admit that it WAS frustrating to not be acknowleged on this aquisition after my 1st posting! You guys are basically my sole outlet for sharing this great hobby with. My coworkers arent into coins, and even my wife's eyes just glaze over when I get all excited about a new pick-up.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You guys are basically my sole outlet for sharing

And how true for many of us over the years... long live the Forum!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i> You guys are basically my sole outlet for sharing this great hobby with. >>

I'm in the same boat. I'll post pics of my collection here, but there really isn't anyone around that shows much interest otherwise.

Oh, we're waiting on pics, Gecko!image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Gecko, you might've gotten more of a response posting this on the bullion forum.

Do you have a pic. of what that design looks like?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Below is the 1998 1/4 ounce coin I also recently purchased (the design changes each year, but is shared among all 5 denominations). With a mintage of just 13,009 it is also among the scarcest of the BU panda series. There are in fact just 8 coins of the possible 139 that have mintages under 15,000. I bought the bottom coin, a 1982 1/2 ounce from a fellow forum member. It is among the top 8 most scarce issues as well. I'll post photos of the 1998 half when it arrives, but for now, here is it's "little brother".

This is the 1982 half ounce I bought from the BST. Mintage of 13,391.

• Options
    Congrats, and if that is the rarest, the price you paid isn't bad at all. I do have one question for you on these, how did you teach yourself to identify counterfeits with so many different issues?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Hey Gecko,

Congrats...I think that Pandas are one of the most interesting coins.

I have many of the Gold Pandas but not that one.

I am closing in on completing the whole Silver series (including the Commems and date varieties)

I now have 94 different Silver Pandas. I need to check my list but I think I have
    about a half dozen to go.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Gecko,

Congrats...I think that Pandas are one of the most interesting coins.

I have many of the Gold Pandas but not that one.

I am closing in on completing the whole Silver series (including the Commems and date varieties)

I now have 94 different Silver Pandas. I need to check my list but I think I have
    about a half dozen to go. >>

That is a tremendous accomplishment!!! I have simply limited myself to the silver proofs, and silver UNCs for now.

Rob, counterfeit gold pandas are MUCH less a problem than the silver ones. Probably 99.99% of the counterfeit gold pandas will be made of an off metal, and are easily detectible.
  • Options
    Ok...coin came today, and its beautiful. It is the "small date" variety. The shaded circle seen on the temple is just the plastic with a dimple.