Options
Some unknown ancients and a couple of early...
I have a couple of unknowns for you. The first are some ancients I picked up for cheap, but I really do not know enough to attribute.




Here are a couple that I just can't put my finger on. The first is one that I have seen before, I think. The cross with the bulb and the reverse has what I think is a flying cherub angel(at least that is what it looks like it is). I cannot tell what kind of writing that is in the legend. The second one is middle eastern I am sure, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction of what kind of dialect it is.




Thanks for any help!! -Dan




Here are a couple that I just can't put my finger on. The first is one that I have seen before, I think. The cross with the bulb and the reverse has what I think is a flying cherub angel(at least that is what it looks like it is). I cannot tell what kind of writing that is in the legend. The second one is middle eastern I am sure, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction of what kind of dialect it is.




Thanks for any help!! -Dan
0
Comments
a 1580-86 brass jeton of Nuremberg, Germany with the Dodge Lion on one side. Popularly used in Tudor England AND is a type found
at the Jamestown fort site; last piece I can only guess is a c. 1100s-1400s islamic copper fals (?)
Probus (276-282) AE antoninianus
IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG
SALVS AVG
salus standing left feeding a snake rising from an altar
the one in Van Meter's book has a different legend around Probus, so it might be an interesting variety