Home Metal Detecting
Options

Pretty good day in OKieland!

My honey-do list was short for the weekend. So I managed to hunt an old park that I've hit a few other times. This park dates back to the 1906 Sanborn Fire maps and is still in use. As previously, I had at least two people that wanted to give me some friendly advice. The park was hunted out years ago. I guess they didn't hunt it with an SE! Today's take was two Oklahoma tax tokens, four wheaties, two Mercs (a 29-D and 41-S) and the oldest coin a 1901 IHC. So far I've pulled about a dozen wheaties and today's silver finds makes five from that park. As you can see there is quite a bit of iron in the soil and non-silver coins and tokens don't fair too well.

Thanks for looking.

G Man

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Very nice man!

PURPLE!
  • Options
    That's a good day - I'm itching here - I need for things to thaw out.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Those mercs look real nice. Good job!

Dave
  • Options
    Nice haul!...Sweet silver.!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice finds.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Nicely done Gary! I'd flip if I ever pulled one of those little Merc's out of the ground. They are, without a doubt, my favoite coin. -Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Those Dimes hold up pretty good in the ground. I'm still waiting for the weather to get a little better. Keep digging and nice finds.
  • Options
    Hey GMan! Great finds!!!! How deep did u have to dig for those? Rich
  • Options
    Good evening folks.

Rich, the Mercs and all but one wheat were 7-8 inches. The really ugly wheat I think was at about 6. The tax tokens were somewhat shallow probably 4 inches or so. The real rusted one was in an area that stays pretty damp. This park doesn't have sprinklers and it is surprising that it is so wet in one spot. Maybe a water pipe that is leaking underground. The IHC was at least 10 inches. It made a weird sound and the ferrous and conduct numbers on my SE bounced around a lot, so I dug it just to see. I cut a plug the depth of my Lesche blade and used the in-line probe once I opened the hole. The in-line gave me few better sounds (but only an occasional hit) that it was either silver or copper so I continued pursuit of it. That park is loaded with steel crown caps and when they rust they squeal like silver. And they are deep too. Added to it are hunks of deep nails, small car parts, nuts, bolts, and even some pieces of steel cans. I didn't mention it, but I pulled half of a brass padlock that was easily 14 inches down. It gave such a good hit that I couldn't afford not to find out what it was.

Later...

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    GMan - thanks for the info. You often hear that one must dig deep to get the silvers! I'm just 2yrs into this great hobby and have only found 2 silvers(quarter & dime) and they were less than 2 inches. I have yet to dig anything deeper than 5 in. I'm enjoying it at this level going to the parks and schools thus not digging to deep. Need to do some researching here in Oregon to find the silvers outside of old schools and parks. Thanks for the story and detailed info. Keep the silvers coming!!!!! Rich
  • Options
    Nice coins!
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options

<< <i>Nicely done Gary! I'd flip if I ever pulled one of those little Merc's out of the ground. They are, without a doubt, my favoite coin. -Mary >>

Hi Mary, did you ever replace your detector?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".