Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is your choice for best clean player of the steroid era?

gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
Obviously, this will be based on your opinion, however you choose to define it, on what constitutes a clean player.
Certainly, some will say your clean player is only not yet exposed, and that will be part of the fun of this.
Let the games begin!
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Brett
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Frank Thomas or Greg Maddox
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

<< <i> or Greg Maddox >>

Is that Gary's brother? image

If I had to bet my house on one person, it would be Yosh Kawano.

All the players were juicing...heck some even had their wives doing it too!

But I bet old Yosh was clean! I have no confidence in picking any player.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Hoopster,

Prior to your post, I had never heard of Yosh Kawano. I looked him up and, yes, I too would bet my house on him. Wow, 65 years with the Cubs. Amazing. I'm sure he could tell some stories.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Jay Buhner image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    When would be a logical time for the roid/drug/illegal substance era to have started ???

1987, McGwire hits 49 Hrs as a rookie, though not far removed from his Olympic substance testing. ?
    1990, C Fielder hit 51 Hrs, first time in many years a fellow gets 50+ ?
    1994, Strike shortened season gives players plenty of off-time to think about, or experimant ?
    1997, McGwire, already a big guy, and Sammy Sosa, who really got bulked up, proceed to break the all time HR record ?

Would Jose Canseco be a good source for this kind of infrmation ?

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    A clean player from, let's say, 1980 to the present? Are there any? If I had to be POSITIVE about a ballplayer who played from 1980 to the present that NEVER did PEDs, my guess would be:

MINNIE MINOSO!!!!!

Can you realistically argue that one? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think are are any "clean" players.
  • Options
    Let's say from mid 90's to date. I'd select Griffey. Maybe Pujols. Hopefully they didn't juice too.
  • Options
    Arod
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Albert Pujols.
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    Maddux and Puljos are on stuff. Their legs are way too big.

I'd have to say Dustin Pedroia. For a guy his size, and a body that wouldn't
    make a gerbel jealous, he is one heck of a ballplayer.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Joe Mauer until he proves otherwise. He's a little late to the game, but I think he still qualifies. He certainly doesn't come back from injuries freakishly fast.
  • Options
    Don Mattingly. And if there is any way he can be proven clean he should have a red carpet into the Hall of Fame with all the crap that's gone on.

Derek Jeter. I would be shocked if he ever did steroids but anything in this era would not surprise me anymore.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    Throw in Mike Mussina too who I have previously mentioned in a separate HOF thread.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    Arod was the stock answer a couple of years ago. Funny how things change.

Glad to have promoted Yosh! image

I roll on the floor laughing every time people swear that Pujols is clean. He and Jeff Bagwell are at the top of a lot of lists, despite no positive test.

I laugh at the tests, as they are so easy to beat. They dont' draw blood, and they don't test for HGH! Of course Arod has tested clean lately, he has better stuff,a nd they don't test for HGH. But you guys listen to Bud Selig, LOL!!!

The most surprsing thing in all of this is that I cannot figure how these players are so dumb to use stuff that is routinely tested for, when similar undectectable options are out there. They live to my premise as usual...morons.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    El Guapo or Oil Can.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Griffey
  • Options
    Definitely Griffey! Over 600 drug free homeruns! Only 3-4 guys have done that! Enough said.....
    Paul
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Maybe Tony Gwynn? It's hard to imagine he was juiced up, although at this point I guess anything's possible.

Like Hoopster said, though, the entire discussion is basically moot because MLB doesn't test for HGH. I cannot believe how many people talk about A-Rod's 2001-2003 years, as if these can realistically be expected to be the only years where he used PED's. And the same goes for anyone else who's built like a Coke machine but 'hasn't tested positive'.

And while we're on the subject, I'm still surprised by the number of people who think Pujols is clean-- or Piazza, for that matter. Who goes from being a 13th round draft pick to being arguably one of the five best baseball players ever? In this day and age, with the amount of information that's available to scouting departments, I think it's nearly impossible for this to happen. Is it 'possible'? Of course. But is it likely? To answer that, you need only look at the draft position of virtually every major star in the game. A shocking majority were taken in the first three rounds of the draft. Servicable players can be found in the later rounds, but almost never do you find a player with Albert's ability languishing on the wire after the first seven or eight rounds.
  • Options
    I'd bet a nut that Pujols is not clean.
    And what makes all you guys so sure Griffey is clean? Look at all the injuries he's had the last bunch of years.
    That's exactly what happens when you go off the juice.
    I don't really think anyone can be called clean for sure. Remember the Arod interview with Katie Couric?
    Katie: "Have you ever done steroids, HGH, etc, etc:
    Arod: "No."
    Then he goes on to say what a shame it is about what's going on in the game today.
    They are all guilty until proven innocent.
  • Options
    Boo, I just want to jump through my T.V. or radio every time I hear somebody affiliated with MLB say, "I tested clean the last so and so years," or "The drug policy is working...look, no negative tests lately."

Why do I want to jump through??? Because they do not test for HGH. They don't take blood tests. Any MLB who now gets caught using steroids is an absolute moron, because it is quite easy to get around the test by using other PEDs that aren't tested for, or can't be caught with the current tests.

Just because they tested clean, does not mean they are....UNTIL they take blood tests, and testing is done more stringently...even then it may still take some time to catch up to the drugs that aren't detected.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Junior, hands down.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Boo, I just want to jump through my T.V. or radio every time I hear somebody affiliated with MLB say, "I tested clean the last so and so years," or "The drug policy is working...look, no negative tests lately."

Why do I want to jump through??? Because they do not test for HGH. They don't take blood tests. Any MLB who now gets caught using steroids is an absolute moron, because it is quite easy to get around the test by using other PEDs that aren't tested for, or can't be caught with the current tests.

Just because they tested clean, does not mean they are....UNTIL they take blood tests, and testing is done more stringently...even then it may still take some time to catch up to the drugs that aren't detected. >>

I know. It's a total snow job, and all of these talking heads on ESPN and FSN know EXACTLY who butters their bread, because not a single one of them shrugs off these 'clean tests' as anything other than an unmitigated fraud. If Gammons, etc., has any stones they'd all firmly announce that all current tests results are purely provisional, since they aren't testing for the PED's that the players are most likely taking.

The bottom line on this, I think, is that nobody really cares. That seems a little sad, but it's the only explanation. The owners don't want HGH testing because these 50 HR sluggers would turn into 210 fat-asses if they had to come clean, and their eight figure contracts would become a Biblical waste of resources. The player's don't want the testing because-- well, because they're baseball players, which makes them some of the dumbest people to walk the planet. And if gate receipts and TV ratings are any indication the fans don't really care either.

If MLB were serious then they would a) assign random tests-- both urine and blood- to every player in the league, and they would make all contracts immediately void upon a positive test result (after which time the player and team would have a window in which to renegotiate). They'd also hold all their samples for however-many-years, and the HOF would agree to remove any player from it's membership who was found to test positive for PED's even after their career had ended. You take the PED's out of the hands of the top 5% of the players in the league and I can almost guarantee that eliminates the entire problem right there, because these guys have enough power within an organization to make sure that measures are taken to ensure that the Ecksteins and Polancos of the world don't torc up and steal their spot light.

• Options

<< <i>Why do I want to jump through??? Because they do not test for HGH. They don't take blood tests >>

A urine test for HGH has been developed but will not be used until the CBA is agreed on and enacted in 2011.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig Biggio
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Pitcher - either Greg Maddux or Randy Johnson

Position player - either Ken Griffey Jr. or Mark Grace.
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A clean player from, let's say, 1980 to the present? Are there any? >>

rickey henderson..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jeter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Billy the Marlin (...Billy only looks unnaturally bloated!)

rd

imageimage
    ...just because Billy's 'kahunas' looks like a pair of 'conjoined shriveled raisins', ...means absolutely nothing! image
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    My pick would be Griffey or Maddux, with Biggio also a real candidate.

The question that will never be possible to answer is how the other "clean" players saw their careers and potential legacies diminished by the users. Guys like Mark Grace and Roberto Alomar and Tim Raines (again, we don't ACTUALLY know who was clean and who was not) who did not have big power numbers saw their abilities under appreciated by the viewing public who laughed at all the "Chicks dig the long ball" commercials...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned anyone who played during the pre-testing days in MLB could have used PED's and I won't make a guess until the other 103 names are released and who really knows if every test result was legit? Selig and MLB should be ashamed.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Juicing has been going on long before the McGwire/Sosa homerun race. One of the more recent "pre-roid" era guys that I specifically recall was Brian Downing. Does anyone have any pics of him in say 1978 then in 1982?
  • Options
    you mean when downing exploded his power numbers from 15 home runs to 20, maxing out at 29 for his career high...
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you mean when downing exploded his power numbers from 15 home runs to 20, maxing out at 29 for his career high... >>

No, when he added about 20 pounds of body mass between the 1978 and 1979 seasons.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    barry SS Reds
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan How.., er, I mean, Dave Kingman..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    How bout curt schilling?
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    Griffey Jr by a landslide...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    the griff hands down
  • Options
    piazza...played in horrible hitters parks with kaka hitting around him in the lineup...
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ken Griffey JR.
  • Options

<< <i>Maddux and Puljos are on stuff. Their legs are way too big.

I'd have to say Dustin Pedroia. For a guy his size, and a body that wouldn't
    make a gerbel jealous, he is one heck of a ballplayer. >>

your post is so dumb you cant even spell Pujols properly...

just a little info...

pujols was undrafted in 1998 because it was believed he was overweight, out of shape and too slow to play MLB...

so he went and played with a Community college and found a trainer who would get him into shape (lose weight)..

he lost about 15 pounds, finally taking exercise and nutrition seriously, but was still thought of as slow and too Bulky, so he slid to the 13th round and was drafted in 1999.....

he played 1 year in the minors in 2000 (at age 21) and ripped through every level..

he was invited to spring training and made the club as the last selection of the 40 man roster since Bobby bonilla got injured in spring...

he started off hot in April 2001 and hasnt slowed down...in 2001 , Larussa called him the best player he ever saw, and McGwire said he was the MVP of 2001.....(got beat out by cheating Bondz in vote)...

Steroid users have a noticeable WEIGHT GAIN, INCREASED BULKINESS AND A SPIKE IN POWER STATS....

Pujols has had none......HE HAS LOST WEIGHT EVERY YEAR SINCE he got drafted, has trimmed down every year, and has had the most even career stat wise ever (opposite of a stat spike)....
  • Options
    What better time to take steroids than when you are an overweight weak muscled 19 year old? No spike in career... most likely on them from the get go.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    fandango - what do your EYES tell you? There are very few guys built naturally the way Pujols is built. I'll be shocked if his name doesn't get attached to a steroid report at some point before he retires.
  • Options
    "What better time to take steroids than when you are an overweight weak muscled 19 year old? No spike in career... most likely on them from the get go. "

Indeed!! I think P.U.Holes really stinks ... image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Rollins
    Worth
    Utley
    Howard
    Victorino
    Hamels
    Myers
    Manual
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    In no particular order:

Biggio
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Oswalt
    Clemens

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    lol barry, 2 out of 5 are huge roids and HGH users...
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    LALALALALALALALA!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

LALALALALALALALA!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts