Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

AROD future card values...................

short term vs. long term? I see tons of AROD rookies being dumped right now......94 sp and 94 leaf/500. I think this is a knee jerk reaction by many, am i wrong?

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ask me after I sell mine. Both are on the BAY right now.
  • Options
    What happen to Bonds and Clemens has scared people who are holding Arod cards.Rightfully so because in my opinion you will see the same thing happen here.It may not be on such a grand scale but it will happen.If you were in the market for a nice Arod Rookie then the time to buy is soon.
    Mike
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Fuget about the values.................... I suggest you dump them right now!!!!!!!!!!!! He tested POSITIVE for 2 steroids .... that's right I said TWO !!!!! chaz
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    psa 9.5!!!! chaz
  • Options
    A-Rod admits, regrets use of PEDs
    Comment Email Print
    ESPN.com

His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

Alex Rodriguez

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"Overall, I felt a tremendous pressure to play, and play really well" in Texas, the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I had just signed this enormous contract I felt like I needed something, a push, without over-investigating what I was taking, to get me to the next level.

"I am sorry for my Texas years. I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also said it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be," he said.

Rodriguez said he stopped taking substances after injuring himself at spring training in 2003 with the Rangers.

"It wasn't a real dramatic day. I started experimenting with things that, today, are not legal," he said, "that today are not accepted ... ever since that incident happened, I realized that I don't need any of it."

He said the culture earlier this decade of taking performance-enhancing substances was "prevalent." "There were a lot of people doing a lot of different things," Rodriguez said, noting that he wasn't specifically pointing out the Rangers.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

"I had never heard anything since," he said. "Whatever I was experimenting with in Texas might have been OK."

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric.

This was just on ESPN. chaz
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I have his fleer update psa 9 and a raw 94 sp that would grade prolly 7.5 or 8. Its only a few dollars...im not going to freak and sell. Its steroid era baseball gentlemen.....BUY MICKEY MANTLE and grab a drink!!!
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARod's 1994 Red Holoview PSA/BGS 9 is going for less $700. There are a bunch listed right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see it bottom out at $300-$400 in a 9.

Look what happened to the Bonds 1986 Tiffany RC. It's value just died.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>What happen to Bonds and Clemens has scared people who are holding Arod cards >>

You hit it right on the head.
  • Options
    AROD STATS :

TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    1994 Sea 17 54 4 11 0 0 0 2 3 20 3 0 .204 .241 .204 .445
    1995 Sea 48 142 15 33 6 2 5 19 6 42 4 2 .232 .264 .408 .672
    1996 Sea 146 601 141 215 54 1 36 123 59 104 15 4 .358 .414 .631 1.045
    1997 Sea 141 587 100 176 40 3 23 84 41 99 29 6 .300 .350 .496 .846
    1998 Sea 161 686 123 213 35 5 42 124 45 121 46 13 .310 .360 .560 .920
    1999 Sea 129 502 110 143 25 0 42 111 56 109 21 7 .285 .357 .586 .943
    2000 Sea 148 554 134 175 34 2 41 132 100 121 15 4 .316 .420 .606 1.026

2001 Tex 162 632 133 201 34 1 52 135 75 131 18 3 .318 .399 .622 1.02
    2002 Tex 162 624 125 187 27 2 57 142 87 122 9 4 .300 .392 .623 1.015
    2003 Tex 161 607 124 181 30 6 47 118 87 126 17 3 .298 .396 .600 .996

2004 NYY 155 601 112 172 24 2 36 106 80 131 28 4 .286 .375 .512 .887
    2005 NYY 162 605 124 194 29 1 48 130 91 139 21 6 .321 .421 .610 1.031
    2006 NYY 154 572 113 166 26 1 35 121 90 139 15 4 .290 .392 .523 .915
    2007 NYY 158 583 143 183 31 0 54 156 95 120 24 4 .314 .422 .645 1.067
    2008 NYY 138 510 104 154 33 0 35 103 65 117 18 3 .302 .392 .573 .965

chaz
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...I think this is a knee jerk reaction by many, am i wrong? "

//////////////////////////////////////////

I don't know if you're "wrong."

But, such "reactions" almost always take their targets
    close to sewer level before there is a good recovery.

Holding stuff while it goes south is silly. The smart play
    is to dump stuff that gets trashed, and buy it back later,
    if it starts to recover.

In the case of Arod, I suspect the "recovery" will be slow
    to arrive.

The economy PLUS steroid problems is NOT a good environment.
    Folks with high-priced Arod cards are, in general, more likely to
    need cash than are the folks holding high-priced vintage cards.

Here is a link to a story about what many American communities
    may soon be faced with. Not for the sensitive.

sell, sell, sell

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255

<< <i>Ask me after I sell mine. Both are on the BAY right now. >>

let us know how much they go for
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i just bought a appleton fox psa 10 a few week ago too that i did have , not the #1 one, but the 1000 something #rd oneimage
    wsh i would have bought that 83 topps michigan wax box hart has or the 82 topps montana cello, now im bummed
    on a lighter note, i did sell all my arods to bill a month ago,sorry billimage
  • Options
    I wonder if the rest of the list is coming out or if AROD will be left out there to twist.

I think the impact on his card values will be less severe if a lot of the stars from that era came up positive as well. Any power hitter over the past 15 years has to be suspect.

I don't think the writers can keep all of the steriod players out of the HOF forever. After the next few years, who will be left to vote in?

I think Jim Rice getting in was partly a reaction to the roid sluggers that followed him. There aren't too many Jim Rice candidates left. Andrew Dawson, maybe Dale Murphy.

Mike
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Can't we at least agree Brady Anderson and Brett Boone are on the list?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    The modern ballplayers from pre 1985 are looking better and better for HOF consideration now: Dawson, Murphy, Blyleven, etc....

A-Rod's cards will sink like a torpedoed battleship. Just like, Mcgwire, Bonds, and Clemens cards did. And deservedly so. Who wants to collect cards of known cheaters?

Of the players in the last 15 years in Baseball, who can you really trust that were/are clean? It's pretty hard to say at this point.

I stopped following Baseball entirely in 1998 because of the juiced balls and players. I only collect vintage these days and couldn't be more happier.

• Options
    "...I think the impact on his card values will be less severe if a lot of the stars from that era
    came up positive as well. Any power hitter over the past 15 years has to be suspect...."

////////////////////////

It's ONLY based on my experiences, but I would advise caution
    in adopting that mantra as a buying/holding strategy.

ANY player that gets hit with the "allegations" is going to see
    his cards tank. If more and more players get hit, EACH player's
    cards will decline even MORE.

If the market is flooded with cards, the amount of money to buy
    those cards will remain about the same. We have seen that for
    the past 100-days in the stock market. SO many "bargains" that
    few folks know what to buy; thus, most everything declines further.

I see NOTHING wrong with keeping a tainted player's cards, if the
    collector likes the player. However, if monetary values are a consideration,
    there are likely a BUNCH of players whose cards should be dumped fast,
    before the next round of revelations.

• Options
    I don't think only the " Power Hitters" need to be suspect .

I have a feeling a whole lot more than who are on the " List " have experimented with perfomance enhancing drugs .

Lets not kid ourselves , I'm going with 90 percent , the other 10 percent were just scared of needles , like me , so they're safe .

What a horrible situation for those of us who invested a lot of cash on A-Rod this that or the other thing . .

My son is devistated , he loved to watch A-Rod play , he's basically heart broken .

I'm not going to lie , it was exciting to watch him come to the plate for me too , now all that is gone for good I think , because those records mean nothing now I'm afraid .
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Anthony. How have you been?
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Baseball is just becoming a sad state...I find myself second guessing all players old and young now...I find very few cards I actually want to own anymore when there was a time I would have loved to of owned them all.

The hobby and the sport are changing everyday faster and faster for me...and not in a good way

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    "...My son is devistated , he loved to watch A-Rod play , he's basically heart broken..."

///////////////////////////////

It's a good lesson to be learned young.

Famous folks are just folks. As long as we choose them from
    our own ranks, they will always be just like us; prone to foibles
    and failures and successes.
  • Options
    Hey Matt, not too bad , I have been buzy as hell with all this cold weather we've been having , not a lot of time for much, got to grab it while it is out there though .

Lmao, you're lookin a lil feminine there days with your avatar image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Matt, not too bad , I have been buzy as hell with all this cold weather we've been having , not a lot of time for much, got to grab it while it is out there though .

Lmao, you're lookin a lil feminine there days with your avatar image >>

Thanks man. I am pretty hot image
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball is just becoming a sad state...I find myself second guessing all players old and young now...I find very few cards I actually want to own anymore when there was a time I would have loved to of owned them all.

The hobby and the sport are changing everyday faster and faster for me...and not in a good way

mathew >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mmmm- Hmmmm I'm right there with ya , I guess Vintage is your best bet , I guess it always has been though .

For some reason it didn't bother me as much when it was Bonds or Clemens or anyone else , this A-rod thing is really bothering me .

Edited to Add: Ummm yea Matt , you are ,
    whatcha doin to night ?
    Oh yea, that's right , I forgot you're married . .

Oh damn , so am I . . . I guess that cancels everything out then image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Drugs are part of the sports culture.

Does anyone here think there are more users on a percentage basis in MLB vs. the NFL?
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cardbender, Do you or do you know of 57 Topps Starr available?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Knee jerk reaction. I would hold. What is different about arod is he has many years left to play.

Steriod use: Admit it, say your sorry, move on. (Gambi, Pettit, ect)

Steroid use: Deny it and it will follow you forever (McGwire, Bonds)
  • Options

<< <i>on a lighter note, i did sell all my arods to bill a month ago,sorry bill >>

Thanks Rube!!

Not mad at you. Got 75% of my money back on the 94 Upper Deck PSA 10. I moved the other two from my eBay store to 7 day auction yesterday. Apperantly buyers aren't deterred by admitted steroid use. Both the cards have at least 5 watchers and one had a bid within a few hours.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I hope there's a serious dumping. I also hope there's a dip in the prices.

I'm a buyer . . . Anyone ready to sell of their '94 SP PSA 8's and 9's?
  • Options
    Well,
    all I can say is , when I heard this news a day or so ago , I had such a sickening feeling , I'll admit I went on an A-Rod bender ever since he joined the NY Yankees .

I have a feeling I'm gonna be in the poor house . . .
    Metaphorically speaking

Oh well at least I have my health . . . .
    I think ? image

Aint gonna do me no good no how cryin over it .

What hurts more than anything else though is , I thought I was watching someone who was going to break the H/R record and it was exciting , that loss right there is unmeasurable , the joy and the hopes are pretty much gone as far as that is concerned .

The collecting part hurts of course because of the probable investment loss , but I very rarely sell anything anyway unless I am in a pinch or need something and don't want to go to the well for it .
  • Options
    TNT...i feel for ya bro....hang in there, things will come back, especially if you hold out for another 5 years or so, the economy will be better too....
  • Options

<< <i>TNT...i feel for ya bro....hang in there, things will come back, especially if you hold out for another 5 years or so, the economy will be better too.... >>

What a nice thing to say! TNT, I hope you return the kindness once the other 103 are named.
  • Options
    Can't wait for Pujols' name to get leaked as one of the other 103 players.

Edit: Me and the coin dude had the same thought at the same time.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't wait for Pujols' name to get leaked as one of the other 103 players.

Edit: Me and the coin dude had the same thought at the same time. >>

Well, there are certainly a lot of big time players who I would like to know about...and I'm sure we will.

Pujols is one, Jim Thome springs to mind...Carlos Delgado, Ortiz/Ramirez.

You know who comes out of this thing pretty good if he doesn't wind up on the list is Vlad Guerrero. He's pretty lanky and always seemed like more raw talent than acquired skill to me.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I think Ortiz and Thome are just big guys, like a Dave Parker.

I think Manny's on drugs, but it ain't (just, or mostly) PEDs.

Delgado, I think so.

Pujols, I just don't know. I feel he may be in the same boat as A-Rod. A guy who many thought didn't, but actually did.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>Edit: Me and the coin dude had the same thought at the same time. >>

Not QUITE the same time image
  • Options
    I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a couple Alex Rodriguez RC's up on a BIN or Best Offer auction. The two cards I have available are:

1994 SP BGS 9 with the following subs: 10, 9, 9, 9
    1994 Leaf Limited PSA 9

I thought everyone might like to see some of the offers I have gotten on these cards:

1994 SP BGS 9
    $219.99

1994 Leaf Limited PSA 9
    $175.00
    $200.00
    $329.00
    SOLD BIN $395.00

I am in no hurry to sell these cards, nor desperate for the money, but before the steroid use broke, You could expect to sell the BGS 9 SP for $350-$400 with those subs, and the Leaf Limited would have brought $500+ on auction. I will update as I continue to get additional offers. Fortunately I am into the Leaf Limited for a ridiculously low amount, I can't say the same for the SP BGS 9.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Where is Fandango and StanTheMan to support Pujols to the death? LOL
  • Options
    McGwire 85 Topps $20+ RAW.......Bonds 86TT Tiffany -$400-$1200 Graded Mint or better, Clemens 84 Fleer Update $300-$1000 Graded Mint or better..........all prior to known/speculative steroid use......look them up on eBay and let me know how they are doing now....Rodriguez 94 UD SP RAW Mint $200-$400....

The Steroid Era WILL have a direct effect on players of the previous era....players like Andre Dawson and Dale Murphy,JOe Carter and Fred McGriff have just had their chance to enter the HOF increase by a good percentage...

I dont think Jim Thome is on the list of 103, you can take Vlad off that too. David Ortiz in unlikely, that's like saying Ryan Howard takes steroids....

• Options
    He doesnt need support...

he will come out looking the best when all is said and done.....
  • Options

<< <i>McGwire 85 Topps $20+ RAW....... >>

I can tell you that I purchased a 1985 McGwire PSA 10 about 4 months ago for $300.00 VCP average is $334.00 and I just sold my PSA 10 today for $350.00. That's all I can speak to.
  • Options
    The calls for clawback of the bonus money have begun.

Seems like a meaningless compromise that will satisfy
    most folks.

7 hours ago

CNBC

Rodriguez Admits, Should Now Give Up Home Run Bonuses

Posted By: Darren Rovell

New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez admitted to ESPN [DIS 19.439 -0.011 (-0.06%) ] this afternoon that he used performance-enhancing drugs from 2001 to 2003 while playing with the Texas Rangers. Rodriguez apologized, saying he was "young, stupid and naive."

While the Yankees likely won't be able to void any part of Rodriguez' 10-year, $275 million contract that he signed in Dec. 2007, Rodriguez should now work with the team to give up the $30 million worth of historical bonuses that were put into the contract.

The contract stipulated that Rodriguez could receive an additional $6 million for five historic achievements. Those achievements included tying the career home run records of Willie Mays (660), Babe Ruth (714), Hank Aaron (755), Barry Bonds (762) and breaking Bonds' all-time record.

The reason the Yankees agreed to pay Rodriguez for those milestones was that it was, at the time, seen as very marketable events, which the team could cash in on. There was even more value in this because he was quietly thought of as the "real" home run champion.

But now that we know that Rodriguez hasn't played his entire career clean, the marketing value of those moments is substantially diminished.

Rodriguez currently has 553 home runs. He has averaged 44 a year throughout his career. That would have him breaking all the records during the 2013 season.

Give The Money Back Arod

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Think i will just sit on the sidelines a little while and watch. I thought Arod's damage control was fairly good.....his handlers did well.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    does anyone really think he has been clean for the past 6 years?...someone else has been pissing in a bottle for him...this is a joke...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>does anyone really think he has been clean for the past 6 years?...someone else has been pissing in a bottle for him...this is a joke... >>

///////////////////////////////

At this point, I suspect most folks feel that way.

That is likely why he is not "feeling the love" for his bogus "confession."

He is a fine ballplayer, but his moral compass has remained broken
    for a very long time.

A few years in a monastary would probably be good for him.

• Options
    It looks like his 1994 SP Red Holoview RC in PSA 9 is now in the $600 range. That card was a $1000+ before last weekend. A couple are closing soon, it should be interesting how much further they fall. I'm guessing around $450. Just look at the beating the 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany Bonds took over the past 2 years.

If the rest of the list doesn't come out, AROD will be joining McGwire, Bonds, and Clemens in HOF limbo.
    Mike
  • Options
    Update on my auctions. I sold my Leaf Limited PSA 9 Arod. Even though it had $395 BIN or BO, buyer used BIN and purchased for $395.
  • Options
    I moved my 94 Procards Appleton Foxes PSA 10 and 94 Flair PSA 10 to live aucitons Sunday. Both have at least 2 bids now with a starting bid of $24.99 and the Procards has 9 watchers now.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Think i will just sit on the sidelines a little while and watch. I thought Arod's damage control was fairly good.....his handlers did well. >>

I think you are right....

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    It's quite possible the dip in values of his cards could be due to his not being on the field. I'd wait until he gets back on the field and is playing again before making a determination about his card pricing.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>It's quite possible the dip in values of his cards could be due to his not being on the field. I'd wait until he gets back on the field and is playing again before making a determination about his card pricing. >>

Welcome back, Axtell.