Home Precious Metals
Options

why do silver aussie kangaroos have such a high premium?

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Because. >>

There's always one in every crowd....image

Do they use proceeds to fund something like kangaroo habitat preservation or something?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintages are fairly low.
    And I imagine shipping halfway around the globe to get to the US is pretty high, so sellers would have to pass that cost on to the buyer.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Because. >>

Because they're worth it! image

And they're image

Minted by the RAM, not Perth.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take a look at the price of the UK's Britannia ... same scenario, limited mintage + a popular coin= higher price.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Lower mintage coins compared to Eagles, Maples or my favorite because of design and low premium APMEX Buffalo's.
    If it were my money I'd maybe buy one just to have an example bot for bullion purposes they are a waste of money and I'd buy the Buffalo's or possibly the Eagles if the spread gets closer.
  • Options

<< <i>Lower mintage coins compared to Eagles, Maples or my favorite because of design and low premium APMEX Buffalo's.
    If it were my money I'd maybe buy one just to have an example bot for bullion purposes they are a waste of money and I'd buy the Buffalo's or possibly the Eagles if the spread gets closer. >>

great scenario when you are buying ... but it evens out when you sell your bullion rounds ... the Mint issued bullion "coins" will always sell for more than the private issued bullion rounds.
  • Options
    The early issues have the highest mintages and those are less than 100k. The newer issues have mintages of 20k and the 2007 only 15k. Not really a bullion coin.

NEWS FLASH***** 2007 silver Kangaroo mintage revised down from 15K to 8598. See this web site.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lower mintage coins compared to Eagles, Maples or my favorite because of design and low premium APMEX Buffalo's.
    If it were my money I'd maybe buy one just to have an example bot for bullion purposes they are a waste of money and I'd buy the Buffalo's or possibly the Eagles if the spread gets closer. >>

great scenario when you are buying ... but it evens out when you sell your bullion rounds ... the Mint issued bullion "coins" will always sell for more than the private issued bullion rounds.[/

Since I've never bought or sold these coins I'll take your word but I do know that when you buy a car or pickup with all the bells and whistles you take a bath come trade in time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

great scenario when you are buying ... but it evens out when you sell your bullion rounds ... the Mint issued bullion "coins" will always sell for more than the private issued bullion rounds.[/

Since I've never bought or sold these coins I'll take your word but I do know that when you buy a car or pickup with all the bells and whistles you take a bath come trade in time. >>

Meaning I'm a little bit skeptical if a person would get back all of the extra premium over strictly bullion issues.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Kiwi's?
  • Options
    Kiwi's make Kangaroos look cheap.
  • Options
    heck I've got some silver troy pound rounds with mintages of 2500 and some Bermuda 10 troy oz. coins with a mintage of 7500 and paid spot at $11.20 for them at the last coin show I went to. I think I'd rather be closer to spot than pay mulitples of spot, even my old poured Englehard 5 and 20 oz. bars were bought at less than $1 over spot years ago when Silver was alot cheaper than it is now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Since I've never bought or sold these coins I'll take your word but I do know that when you buy a car or pickup with all the bells and whistles you take a bath come trade in time. >>

Meaning I'm a little bit skeptical if a person would get back all of the extra premium over strictly bullion issues. >>

check out the completed auctions for silver rounds compared to American Silver Eagles on eBay & you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    Silver Kangaroos are not aimed at bullion market, they are aimed at collectors.

They are very well made with design changes every year and low mintages.
    They are also popular worldwide.

And I have to double check that mintage figure for 2007, it seems a bit lowimage
  • Options
    And I have to double check that mintage figure for 2007, it seems a bit low

If you find any info that disputes this mintage figure let me know. This info seems accurate for all other issues.
  • Options
    I get all the info from annual reports, so all mintages are accurate, but sometimes they can get altered with further info.

Got a few things that need clearing up from the reports over the last few years, the 2007 roos are just one of the figures that don't seem right.

If the figure does change it will be reflected on the website you linked to earlier.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>why do silver aussie kangaroos have such a high premium?<<

Since they're kangaroos, wouldn't you expect prices to jump? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)