Home Metal Detecting

Hello

I come in peace from the Precious Metals and currency forums. I've been debating a while on trying metal Detecting as a hobby. Could anyone tell me what a good easy to use metal detector would be and approx price?

I've heard its best to go out day after a rain, Is this true and why?

Has anyone here found anything the paid for their Metal detector?

Thanks,
Rick
Its all relative

Comments

• Rick, for a couple of hundred bucks you can get a Garrett Ace 250. Great machine, easy to learn and not too expensive. If you decide its not for you they have a pretty good resale too.
    Molon Labe
  • Hi Rick,

Welcome, although I've read a bunch of your posts on the BST, PM Forum and US Coin Forum - we're all one here, in my view. As to your questions, I agree that the ACE 250 (Garrett) is a good starter instrument. Good features for an entry level metal detector and easy to use, of course, the more you use it, the better you get at it. It's been said that a low end metal detector in the hands of an experienced metal detectorist will yield more good finds than a high end model in inexperienced hands. The ACE will set you back ~225 or so plus shipping and you can usually find a package that includes goodies like headphones for free. I have an ACE, it was my first and only instrument (until this weekend) and I've found lots of common silver and other goodies (Mercuries, Roosevents, Franklins, a couple of Walking Lib halfs, a three cent silver, a couple of large cents, tons of pennies, wheats, IHC's, and tons of modern coinage, to name a few) including some jewelry as well. It has definitely paid for itself. One thing to remember, where you look is very important. You need to put the coil over targets to find them, so you need to do some research to locate areas of high probability of finding stuff. Also keep in mind, you will dig up a ton of junk, we all do, and if you don't, you are probably missing some good stuff. BTW - I've been keeping tabs on InTheRaw's thread on the US Coin Forum - I'd love to know the general area where he buries it image

Oh and by the way, it is better to metal detect in wet ground. A detector works by transmitting a magnetic field into the ground. If there are conductive items in the ground, a small current is generated by the interaction of the magnetic field and the conductive object, which, in turn generates it's own magnetic field, disturbing the original transmitted field. The received field (by the detector) is different than the transmitted field. This difference is processed by the detector into a signal (usually sound, or a needle moving, or digitally processed into a number, or a combination). Bottom line, wet ground = better conductivity = more depth = you find more stuff.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Thank you for the response. Is this forum new or just not a lot of MD heads? The wet ground thing makes a lot of sense. I live in Central Ohio and already have what I think to be a few good spots picked out. I'm a hunter and assume with MD it is common pratice to get written permission to MD on certain land like when hunting. Few more questions came to me:
    I have never used a MD so forgive the simpleton questions.

How far down does the MD work? I assume the larger the item and closer to the surface the better signal?
    I'm also cheap/bargain hunter, Is it a bad idea to purchase a used MD on eBay or something.
    I see you can set it to certain metals like silver and others. Seems you wouldn't find much if you done that.

Its good to know that it can pay for itself although that's not the reason I want to do it, It sounds like a lot of fun treasure hunting. I always watch the people that do it around here at the local Fairgrounds and such and that is what got me interested.
    Its all relative
  • Depth on a MD is a good question, and it is influenced by more than just the brand of detector. Soil type and degree of mineralization will have an effect on depth as will frequency (if you choose a single frequency instrument) and coil type (concentric vs "double D" vs monocentric). Soil type is important because the more mineralization in it, the lower sensitivity you will be able to run at because of the noise generated by the mineralization. This can be cleaned up by using an instrument that you can set the ground balance on (this kind of "cancels out" the mineralization effect). Lower frequency, larger diametercoils will "see" deeper, but the drawback is that the lower the frequency, the larger you target need to be to be picked up. Higher frequencies will allow you to see smaller items (and gold easier), but it won't be as deep. Coil geometry will have an effect on your coverage area, double D's cover more area per sweep, but concentrics, although covering less area, generally see a little deeper. Bottom line is though, you will find stuff w/ almost any detector, provided you put in the time and can find a good spot. Believe it, or not, some of my best finds have been at less than 2 inches deep. Most of my silver has been at 4" or less. With the ACE, I've found coinage as deep as 6-8" and big stuff (aluminum cans, a scythe blade (yup, like the grim reaper), railroad spikes) at ~12".

Permission always needs to be obtained before hunting on other's privately owned land. Historic sites are huge no-no's. National parks are gnerally off limits. State and regional parks are state dependant. Verbal is ok, some (very few, I've found) ask for something in writing, although it's not a bad idea, at least to make someone feel more comfortable, to offer (and even have something prepared) in writing.

I typically hunt in "all metal" mode, where you hear everything, unless it's a really trashy area where I'll switch to a smaller diameter coil (it pick up smaller items more closely together and can distinguish them), and sometimes discriminate out some iron signals. (Some MD's allow you to selectively weed out signal regions for specific metal or metal items like iron (nails), pop tops, pull tabs. But this could also cancel out rings, for example, if you kill the pulltabs. It's basically what you perfer, and how much digging you want to do.

I bought my MD from an online store a) because it was my first and wanted to return it if I didn't like it and b) wanted the warrantee. The new unit I purchased off of a metal detecting forum well, BST, basically.

Like coin collecting, at least for me, a lot of the fun is in the anticipation and in the hunt. You never know what you'll pull out of the ground next, whether it's some sort of relic, coin or piece of jewelry, or a rusty nail or a couple hundred pulltabs.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the 'sweet addiction' Rick.... this hobby can consume you. As for BIG treasure, well, sometimes it is found - though usually not spoken of loudly. Most of the time you will find junk. However, good stuff is out there, and if you do not dig, you will not find the good stuff. The above information/advice is excellent. Cheers, RickO
  • Bought a detector from Purple! so I maybe posting here now image
    Its all relative
  • Hahhaha , its a good machine. Like I said, I didnt use that machine more than a month so it dont have alot of use on it.
    It will treat you right. Here is my first silver piece found with your detector.

Found at a sidewalk site. Home owner was redoing his sidewalks so I stopped and asked permission. I MD'ed all of the walk area then went to just outside the walk area and found that coin . It was sitting on edge between the walk(what used to be) and grass. I was pretty excited LOL.

PURPLE!

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes a metal detector can pay for itself and mine has many times over. That didn't enter my mind when I got mine. I wanted to have some fun and enjoy finding things. As far as comparing it to hunting you don't have to pay for a hunting license each year.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding Walkers is great.... they are one of the last great American coin designs.... Cheers, RickO