Home Precious Metals
Options

Soviet Bullion?

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link is to an auction of a silver bar marked with the old Soviet logo and with Russian writting. Never heard of this from them before. Could this be legit or just someone screwing around with some silver?

LINK

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Looks odd, especially the first photo.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like something someone made for fun. Been seeing a lot of stuff on ebay lately that looks homemade but being passed off as old
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comrade Renski say be careful... .9994 pureski.image
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enlarge the first pic, and it shows how crudely done the bar is. Definitely a homemade item. Buy at your own risk.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Kinda neat looking, I'd pay $75 for one
    Its all relative
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thing is a fake, I speak Russian as a second language - and the characters where it should be Russian cyrillic are actually reverse Roman characters. All USSR bullion was in grammes, or kilogrammes, never Ounces except for silver commemorative rounds. The ikratka, or I in Russian on this piece which looks like a reverse N in Roman alphabet is actually made with an N, and not an ikratka.

Edited to add image.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Russian Ballerinas, and this doesn't begin to approach the aesthetics of that coin.

PT Barnum said it, and it is true - one is born every minute. Isn't capitalism great!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>This thing is a fake, I speak Russian as a second language - and the characters where it should be Russian cyrillic are actually reverse Roman characters. All USSR bullion was in grammes, or kilogrammes, never Ounces except for silver commemorative rounds. The ikratka, or I in Russian on this piece which looks like a reverse N in Roman alphabet is actually made with an N, and not an ikratka.

Edited to add image. >>

I still like it and would pay $75 for it, as long as its silver.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>as long as its silver. >>

That's the thing though, how can you be sure?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Why would anyone even “think” that hunk of scrap contained silver? The seller lied about the text on the bar and presumably everything else. Maybe his next offering will add “St. Petersburg Mint” to the fake to make you think it was pre-revolutionary, too.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe his next offering will add “St. Petersburg Mint” to the fake to make you think it was pre-revolutionary, too. >>

If they did, they would probably still keep the hammer and sickle to make the bar appeal to the widest audience..image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe his next offering will add “St. Petersburg Mint” to the fake to make you think it was pre-revolutionary, too. >>

If they did, they would probably still keep the hammer and sickle to make the bar appeal to the widest audience..image >>

image Welcome to eBay.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I'm pretty sure that's the immediate post-revolutionary bar that Yuri gave to Lara.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the Russian Ballerinas, and this doesn't begin to approach the aesthetics of that coin.

PT Barnum said it, and it is true - one is born every minute. Isn't capitalism great!image >>

Love the Ballerinas! Kind'a hard to find though.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!