Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1951-52 Bowmans: Wax stain question

I have a number of 1951 and 1952 Bowman baseball cards that are NM to NM-Mint. However, about a third of them have wax stains on the back. I am going to send some of them in for grading with the February special and have never sent in any of these in the past. Does anyone know how PSA grades the Bowman cards with the wax stains? Do they get a "stain" qualifier? Is it common for them to have wax stains on the back or do I just have an unusual amount of them. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    A lot of 51's came in 1 cent packs (1 card, gum) so the wax stain is common. I do not know how PSA treats these as I haven't submitted any, but I do have 6 in PSA holders (2 with stains) all graded 5 with no qualifiers.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant comment on the Baseball but the 51 Football issue is well known for having wax/gum stains on the back as well from the 1 cent packs- I have seen these in straight PSA 7 Holders before so I believe they make exception with these as long as the stain doesnt compromise the write up.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    In my experience, some graders ignore a light gum stain and will give a nm-mt card an 8, while others knock it down to a 6 or even a 5.

If the gum stain is heavy, you will have a tough time getting higher than a 5 or 6.

Good luck! Nice 51s and 52s are gorgeous!

B
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    They used to "ignore" such wax stains on the reverse (unless, of course, they were major). Maybe things have changed, though.