Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dipping Question

Just looking for a few tips or suggestions for "Cleaning" some rough spotty proof coins. I have read a few threads where people are dipping proof coins to remove spotting, but have not seen anyone post what they are using.
Believe me, I am not a cleaner, the most I have ever done is put coins in Dawn soap to clean the surface grime off my junk silver and some Ikes. Is there a solution for removing the dark spots and scattered "Toning" that will not harm the coins now or in the future and if so, can someone give some advice on doing it. These coins are for my own collection, not for resale and if I ever do sell them, I would include that information as well.
Thanks for any help in advance and if people think I should not clean them, please state you opinions as well. I appreciate all comments, even the nasties.

Thanks,
John

To sit idle in life is like being dead with a front row seat.
Johnathan German

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use ezest diluted 50/50 with water for hazy, spotted proofs.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya gotta do what pleases you. They are your coins and they have to make YOU happy.
    Give it a shot and while you are at it post the before and after pics for us to see.

Good luck,
    bobimage

Edited to add: I've never tried dipping a coin, but do have some ugly spotted and crappy toned Proofs
    that don't please me either!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Thanks for the help, I will post pics if I do it.

John

My mind is like concrete, all mixed up and firmly set.
    Johnathan German
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file