Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those intending to get a UHR, Do you regret waiting to order your UHR Double Eagle?

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had you known that the price for the UHR Double Eagle would now be $50 more than it was originally, are you regretting that you didn't get your order in before the price jump? Assuming the answer is yes, are you more inclined to go ahead and get your order in before there is the liklihood of another $50 price increase next Thursday or to just put off the purchase longer hoping for a price decline?

Comments

• Options
    actually i canceled my order this morning. i think too many will be sold and if i want one down the road it will be readily available.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>are you regretting that you didn't get your order in before the price jump? >>

I did, but canceled, and no, I don't regret doing so.

<< <i>are you more inclined to go ahead and get your order in before there is the liklihood of another $50 price increase next Thursday >>

No.

<< <i>or to just put off the purchase longer hoping for a price decline? >>

Gold was in the $700's in November. Che sera, sera. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not real interested in paying $300 over spot.
  • Options
    Nope. I think the premium is too high and demand will be low.
    I'm trying to become the person my dog thinks I am
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Placed my order day 1. Not cancelling and not flipping. With regards to the price issue for the nay sayers, I would say any amount is a good amount when you can trade your excess paper for gold. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    No. Before the end of 2009, gold will be below $700. Also, with the unlimited mintage, UHRs will be selling on eBay for less than ordering from the Mint. JMO
  • Options

<< <i>No. Before the end of 2009, gold will be below $700. >>

How do you know that
  • Options

<< <i>No. Before the end of 2009, gold will be below $700. Also, with the unlimited mintage, UHRs will be selling on eBay for less than ordering from the Mint. JMO >>

Another buying opportunity! I would still rather order from the US Mint, though. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No. Before the end of 2009, gold will be below $700. Also, with the unlimited mintage, UHRs will be selling on eBay for less than ordering from the Mint. JMO >>

Another buying opportunity! I would still rather order from the US Mint, though. image >>

Gold cost averaging?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I kind of wonder about the source on gold going below 700. Maybe they will lift the one per houshold order limit and we can average our higher priced coins...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    To merely OWN a replica of the neatest coin ever minted is not a something that a tiny increment should matter.

Having held thw two original coins at the Smithsonian, I assure you that the thrill will come when you hold these amazing coins in your hand and marvel at them!

Just wait and see.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Another buying opportunity! I would still rather order from the US Mint, though. image >>

AND it won't be a First Strike! :-)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    This was a cool experience and I can also tell you that one of my closest business associates that does many many many millions of dollars a year in numismatics business was also one of us that was clicking away to order a couple of these beautiful coins.
  • Options

<< <i>actually i canceled my order this morning. i think too many will be sold and if i want one down the road it will be readily available. >>

agreed
  • Options
    I had a momentary regret until I saw 40,000 plus sold in the first week. Now I'll just wait to buy a slabbed MS 69 off ebay for less than mint price in a few months.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To merely OWN a replica of the neatest coin ever minted is not a something that a tiny increment should matter.

Having held thw two original coins at the Smithsonian, I assure you that the thrill will come when you hold these amazing coins in your hand and marvel at them!

Just wait and see. >>

I agree,

I think the high relief and the double thickness will be real impressive.

I fortunately have 2 early orders and the first will be graded and flipped and the second is the keeper.

If the first run is short minted the First Strike label is a must even at $80 fee.

I wish everyone good luck with thier order and grading.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

AND it won't be a First Strike! :-) >>

First strike! We don't need no stinkin' first strike! image I do NOT send any raw coins for slabbing. Although I own some slabbed coins that I have bought at or close to the price of a raw coin. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    What I see here boys is a lack of responsiblity. This coins is worth the chase and ownership. It will be a solid investment in ones collection. I think some of you think you can get this down the road for less, you are fooling yourselves.

This coin will be marveled at in your collection for life..

The people that didn't pull the plug at the original price shame on you. Sure there will be many flippers on this coin but with a premo.

So boast at the few that will get one soon and until you finally pull the plug at a higher price keep giving that excuse why this coin is not worthy.

JMHO.. I believe this is a homerun coin for the *Real* coin collector.
  • Options
    Sadly, many of you represent buying the coins for the $$MONEY$$ side of numismatics, and I use that term loosely.

Here you get an opportunity to get the replica of a friggin' spectacular coin and all you are concerned with is reselling it, getting First Strike designations and buying them using your questionable skills of market timing. You should be last in line for these coins.

You can't create rules but if I were asked what one should be it would be COLLECTORS FIRST. "Flippers" shouldn't have had the priveledge to clog up the phones when COLLECTORS wanted these.

You're PIMPS! image
  • Options
    I hadn't read your post Yaha.

KUDOS!! image

I'm disgusted with this mentality. It's no wonder that most topics on this board have degenerated to low-end coin commerce gripes. There once was a majority of collectors with collector "ideals" here. Now that's hardly the case.

• Options
    You're PIMPS!

I agree with saintguru on this one. I can't believe buyers will sent this coin to PCGS to have placed in a plastic slab just to get a couple words on the holder "First Strike" or MS70 . Or leave it in the box because they are afraid they will lose value if they take it out and enjoy it. I hope I can get the bucks together to keep mine and if I can whether or not it's first strike eligible it will be out of that box within minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>You're PIMPS!

I agree with saintguru on this one. I can't believe buyers will sent this coin to PCGS to have placed in a plastic slab just to get a couple words on the holder "First Strike" or MS70 . Or leave it in the box because they are afraid they will lose value if they take it out and enjoy it. I hope I can get the bucks together to keep mine and if I can whether or not it's first strike eligible it will be out of that box within minutes. >>

As a clarification agentjim, it's the "flipping" that I object to so vehemently. Slabbing will protect yet diminish the "feel" and soul of these coins but I don't take issue with having that done. But pandering something and blabbing about it is anti-numismatic. image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that some "Classic" guys are seeing something to like in this coin. I've always felt that the Moderns and Classics are a continuum, regardless of the circumstances under which the coins were produced.

That the Mint has co-opted some designs from an era which could be argued as the "golden age of coin design" is neither lamentable nor laudable. It's a continuum.

I can't wait to get my mitts on this little sucker. I think it's a beaut!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Sadly, many of you represent buying the coins for the $$MONEY$$ side of numismatics, and I use that term loosely.
    Here you get an opportunity to get the replica of a friggin' spectacular coin and all you are concerned with is reselling it, getting First Strike designations and buying them using your questionable skills of market timing. You should be last in line for these coins.
    You can't create rules but if I were asked what one should be it would be COLLECTORS FIRST. "Flippers" shouldn't have had the priveledge to clog up the phones when COLLECTORS wanted these.
    You're PIMPS! image >>

Well, at least you wrote "many of you represent buying the coins for the $$MONEY$" before you got to the "PIMPS" part, because I'm not a flipper. I was one of those who wrestled with the Mintsitemess, and after the better part of an hour, finally had one listed on my account page, as "suspended."

Later, that order vanished. I called the Mint, and there was no trace of my order, so I ordered it again, because it is a unique item. But I was really aggravated by the process, and all it took was a report of high order numbers to reach the decision to cancel the second order.

Why? First, I had something else to pay for, and second, despite the recent bullion bubble, the price of gold has trended down the past year. Note the blue line.

There's a chance I can buy this in the aftermarket, or even from the Mint, later this year. This is not a limited issue, nor is the window to order it going to close. Saving $100 or maybe more may not mean much to some here, but on a fixed retirement income, it does to me.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

• Options

<< <i>Why? First, I had something else to pay for, and second, despite the recent bullion bubble, the price of gold has trended down the past year. Note the blue line.

image >>

Trends are relative to the snapshot you are looking at. You can look at it as trending up from Nov 08 to Jan 09. image It is always prudent to only spend excess money on non-essentials. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>Trends are relative to the snapshot you are looking at. It is actually trending up if you look from Nov 08 to Jan 09. >>

True enough, but you can pick any two month period over the past several years, and see wide price swings.

If you bought and sold at the "right" points, there's profit to be made, but predicting the future with any commodity is risky. I picked a one-year chart, because the Mint will be selling these all year long. I'll wait and see what happens, because gold has never continued straight up for a year with no declines.

I'm not one of those in a big hurry to get these as fast as possible. Wouldn't want to be called a "pimp." image

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    If someone is wanting to collect a certified UHR the First strike are most likely the only ones that will carry much of a premium to issue. What I feel is the biggest wrong assumption on the boards is that most of those whom ordered on 1/22 think they are going to get a F/S elible UHR. I doubt very much that that will happen. As well as the US Mintis not going to wait until they have 40,000 done until they ship..... most of those 40,000 will not be F/S eligible. Those who are able to get a F/S eligible UHR will have a collectible coin with a premium, my best GUESS is about 10,000 UHR's. JMHO.. image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Hobby we have, you can collect what you want, how how you want. But my belly has had enough of this gold, platinum and and silver market crap. Whats wrong with just collecting coins beacuse you want too. how many disappointments are are we going to have to read in the weeks to come because oders were cancelled, coins did not grade high enough to make a killing, blah blah blah. Ever read this?

The coin market is volatile and thinly capitalized. Significant short-term price swings are always possible. Collectors Universe, its principals and representatives do not guarantee a profit or guarantee against a loss for any coin you buy or sell based on the information contained in this price guide or any Collectors Universe website. You buy and sell rare coins at your own risk. Furthermore, Collectors Universe, its principals and representatives do not guarantee the accuracy of any price in the PCGS Price Guide.

Oh that's right, Gold is the answer to every thing.

Do you EVER hear folks here talking about selling and profits on anything OTHER than bullion modern coins? I mean if I person sells a beautiful 10$ princess, he or she dose not hurry and type on the forum how much he bought it for in 1980 and how much they made selling it today. Its just a bullion thing.

Move this over to that Medals forum or where ever this discussion belongs.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I see here boys is a lack of responsiblity. This coins is worth the chase and ownership. It will be a solid investment in ones collection. I think some of you think you can get this down the road for less, you are fooling yourselves.

The people that didn't pull the plug at the original price shame on you. Sure there will be many flippers on this coin but with a premo.

So boast at the few that will get one soon and until you finally pull the plug at a higher price keep giving that excuse why this coin is not worthy.

JMHO.. I believe this is a homerun coin for the *Real* coin collector. >>

YaHa,
    Very well said.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What I see here boys is a lack of responsiblity. This coins is worth the chase and ownership. It will be a solid investment in ones collection. I think some of you think you can get this down the road for less, you are fooling yourselves.

JMHO.. I believe this is a homerun coin for the *Real* coin collector. >>

YaHa,
    Very well said. >>

imageimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Sadly, many of you represent buying the coins for the $$MONEY$$ side of numismatics, and I use that term loosely.

You're PIMPS! image >>

"Complaining", "disgusted" and "degenerated." Listen to you getting so offended, so beside yourself. This is coming from someone who blurts out disgusting, immaterial, childish, witless and out of context one-liners. Other than that, you sound like a great guy!image
    I am also not a fan of flipping, or buying and selling strictly for monetary gain. However, some sellers have no interest in this coin or coins in general; $$$ signs are all that matter. I don't like it either, but this will never change.
    It will always be pervasive in any hobby where large sums of money are exchanged, but to be so self-righteous and “disgusted” by it all is disingenuous.
    There are plenty of collectors who love this hobby, but do not have hundreds of thousands of dollars lying around to only satisfy their refined artistic sensibilities. They might try to flip some coins or bullion for much needed cash, and if they are allowed to clog up the lines, so be it.
  • Options
    You have a very low threshhold of "disgust and self-righteousness".

I have exhibited neither on this thread.

When I do it will hit you in the face like a donkey's hoof. image
  • Options

<< <i>If you bought and sold at the "right" points, there's profit to be made, but predicting the future with any commodity is risky. I picked a one-year chart, because the Mint will be selling these all year long. I'll wait and see what happens, because gold has never continued straight up for a year with no declines. image >>

I NEVER look at gold as an investment. Up or down in a year or year to year does not matter when you are not selling. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>I NEVER look at gold as an investment. >>

Correct; it produces no income, after all. But there are traders who make money trading (or gambling, if you prefer) on the commodities market. If no one did, there would be no market.

BTW, I have some PCGS MS-69 F/S $50 AGE's that I bought in 2005 for $471 each. Last time I checked (December), they were selling for an average of $1,063 on eBay.

Investment or not, I'm happy about that. I could have lost 93% of my money "investing" in something like Citigroup $50 vs. $3.55) image

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

You're PIMPS! image >>

Pimps, Wimps, yup I agreeimage
  • Options

<< <i>When I do it will hit you in the face like a donkey's hoof. image >>

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I bought one for John Maben because he wants a thousand of them.
  • Options
    As a clarification agentjim, it's the "flipping" that I object to so vehemently. Slabbing will protect yet diminish the "feel" and soul of these coins but I don't take issue with having that done. But pandering something and blabbing about it is anti-numismatic.

I was referring to slabbing for the purpose of the flip (First Strike/MS70) or keeping in the box for the purpose of the first strike eligible flip.
  • Options
    I gotcha.

Now please don't clarify your sigline. It's scary. image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

You're PIMPS! image >>

Well, at least you wrote "many of you represent buying the coins for the $$MONEY$" before you got to the "PIMPS" part, because I'm not a flipper. I was one of those who wrestled with the Mintsitemess, and after the better part of an hour, finally had one listed on my account page, as "suspended."

Later, that order vanished. I called the Mint, and there was no trace of my order, so I ordered it again, because it is a unique item. But I was really aggravated by the process, and all it took was a report of high order numbers to reach the decision to cancel the second order.

Why? First, I had something else to pay for, and second, despite the recent bullion bubble, the price of gold has trended down the past year. Note the blue line.

There's a chance I can buy this in the aftermarket, or even from the Mint, later this year. This is not a limited issue, nor is the window to order it going to close. Saving $100 or maybe more may not mean much to some here, but on a fixed retirement income, it does to me. >>

Hey did you use the quick checkout? There has been a glitch using QC where the review page pulls up blank, checking account history shows an order with an order number along with the suspended language, then about 1 hour or so later everything is gone, even writing down the order number is useless as using track order it shows as unavailable...Really sucks if that's what happened to you during a nightmare ordering period...I had stopped using quick checkout as a result...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the Quick Checkout w/o any glitches ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Me, too.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're PIMPS! image >>

There's a chance I can buy this in the aftermarket, or even from the Mint, later this year. This is not a limited issue, nor is the window to order it going to close. Saving $100 or maybe more may not mean much to some here, but on a fixed retirement income, it does to me. >>

Hey did you use the quick checkout? There has been a glitch using QC where the review page pulls up blank, checking account history shows an order with an order number along with the suspended language, then about 1 hour or so later everything is gone, even writing down the order number is useless as using track order it shows as unavailable...Really sucks if that's what happened to you during a nightmare ordering period...I had stopped using quick checkout as a result... >>

Of course if you start with November 08 and draw your line it will trend up!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would laugh if tomorrow the mint said that they only had enough blanks for 50K coins and don't for see getting anymore.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    The chances that I will ever own an original UHR are about as dim for me as they are for practically everyone on this board. A HR Saint is within the realm of imaginability, but honestly even if I had $20K+ to spend on a coin, I do not think I could justify spending it on a nice HR original Saint, because when it comes to coins at that price point, I would rather my dollars vie for true rarity than against demand. Still, as an artist, I of course emphatically appreciate the original issue - and what is more, is that a HR Saint is the stopper in my core set, that being U.S. renaissance type coins 1907-1921.

As such I am really excited to own a MMIX UHR Saint - I anticipate that the coin will serve to convey the spirit of the original MCMVII's quite nicely in my set.

I have never held an original UHR as Jay has, but I did see one of them on display at the Smithsonian before they closed the exhibit - and all I can say is wow! and that I am really pleased that the mint opted for the UHR version for this reissue.

As for price? I would have paid whatever the Mint asked for this issue, so $50 is neither here nor there for me.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey did you use the quick checkout? There has been a glitch using QC where the review page pulls up blank, checking account history shows an order with an order number along with the suspended language, then about 1 hour or so later everything is gone, even writing down the order number is useless as using track order it shows as unavailable. >>

All true. It's an impressive piece, from the photos in the brochure, and I may grab one later. There are 333 days left, after all. image

• Options

<< <i>Of course if you start with November 08 and draw your line it will trend up! >>

northcoin, no disrespect intended, but as the OP, you really ought to read your own thread. If you had, you'd have seen that trozau raised that very point previously, and I replied to it also. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course if you start with November 08 and draw your line it will trend up! >>

northcoin, no disrespect intended, but as the OP, you really ought to read your own thread. If you had, you'd have seen that trozau raised that very point previously, and I replied to it also. image >>

I guess great minds think alike. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file