Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your thoughts on this bust half

Ok this is my bust half. Its not a lot but its one of my better coins.

What are your thoughts? What grade would you give it?

Bottom Feeder collector, Happy collector of Moderns

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice detail. It is probably an EF-40 coin. Unfortunately, the coin would be a no-grade due to cleaning and the large gouge on the reverse. At least that is my opinion based on the images.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    VF35, cleaned and damaged... a $40-something coin on ebay
  • Options
    lol

I thought that might be the result..

I purchased this 3 years ago when I first started to collect. The dealer I frequented then sold this to me for about 150.00
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dealer I frequented then sold this to me for about 150.00 >>

I hope you have since then found a NEW dealer.

And I think Lane was generous on the grade. Cleanings are killers IMO.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sadly it's been cleaned, and that big mark above the eagle is, I'm sorry to say, a killer.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I believe he went under in 2007.

I dont feel too bad about it. Like many of you always say you have to pay to get an education and this isnt that bad of a tution. I know I wouldnt be as stupid next time around.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF35 details (damage/cleaned)...
  • Options
    Hey don't worry, I've been taken, too.. half the coin shops in my city are operated by a network of crooks
  • Options

<< <i>And I think Lane was generous on the grade. Cleanings are killers IMO.

image >>

In retrospect, you are probably right. The reverse is nice, but the obverse would probably not go above VF.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Hey don't worry, I've been taken, too.. half the coin shops in my city are operated by a network of crooks >>

Network of crooks?

Coin Mafia?

lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey don't worry, I've been taken, too.. half the coin shops in my city are operated by a network of crooks >>

Network of crooks?

Coin Mafia?

lol >>

More or less...Father has one, son another. And some others closely connected. 3-4 shops in my city they have. I sent a friends mother there with a decent AU double eagle when gold was $600, with instructions to get an offer but not sell (she looks far more gullible than me, haha)...they tried to offer her $200...their sell prices are high retail
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    VF35 with reverse damage. Not original skin but I do not see anything suggesting a harsh cleaning.

At least the damage does not resemble a staple scratch. Heck, the gouge was likely the result of early authentication efforts in the winter of '41. Don't ask me how I know this!

I did not check the variety but there are some R4's and R5's in 1828. Unless this is an R5 and the dealer knew it, I am pleased to learn that he folded his tent.
  • Options

<< <i>VF35 with reverse damage. Not original skin but I do not see anything suggesting a harsh cleaning.

At least the damage does not resemble a staple scratch. Heck, the gouge was likely the result of early authentication efforts in the winter of '41. Don't ask me how I know this!

I did not check the variety but there are some R4's and R5's in 1828. Unless this is an R5 and the dealer knew it, I am pleased to learn that he folded his tent. >>

Anyone familiar with varietys know if this is an R4 or R5 ?
  • Options
    http://coinzip.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=1828b

This is a link to coinzip's 1828 page. Very helpful site...
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone familiar with varietys know if this is an R4 or R5 ? >>

No...it's not O-105 (R5), O-106 (R4+), O-111 (R4), or O-123 (R5+).

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is 107. To give the dealer the benefit of the doubt--although I don't actually believe he deserves it--he may have thought it was 106 (R-4++) which shares the same reverse die.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>It is 107. To give the dealer the benefit of the doubt--although I don't actually believe he deserves it--he may have thought it was 106 (R-4++) which shares the same reverse die. >>

I don't think it is a O-107 as the coin appears to have a "square 2" and the O-107 has a "curled 2." Or, am I missing something in the image?

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone, as always you guys are the best!

I had to explain to my wife the news about the coin. Its one of her favorites and needless to say she was bummed.
  • Options
    I thought that too at first, but it appears that the notch (curve) at the base of the 2 is slightly visable. The giveaway is the reverse which was only used on 106 and 107. Take a look at tje 2 on halfnuts at coinzip. It isonly notched and appears at first to be a square edge also. My guess is a die state matter.
  • Options
    Okay ... now it's a challenge! image

I don't think the reverse is the one for 106 or 107. I agree that the I in PLURIBUS is to the right of the second T in STATES. That means it can be 103, 105, 106, 107, or 110.

Look at the position of the L in PLURIBIS and the first T in STATES and the upper right part of the U in PLURIBUS and its relationship to the F in OF. The only reverse that matches is 110. Also, the distance for the second A in AMERICA to the arrows matches 110 better than 106 or 107.

The obverse star spacing appears to match 110 as well.

So, I would say it is O-110.

Okay ... now it's your turn! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    My wife put up a link to some close ups on the dates.

Link
  • Options
    Lane, you're right. The funny thing is that I normally match up the L to T relationship and didn't this time.image

Jim

Serves me right for trying to do this and play poker at the same time.

Of course, I'm not doing well at poker either.image
  • Options
    i don't have time to evaluate beyond commenting that she sure looks like a sq base 2. If she is an O-107, many believe (me too!!) she's lot's tougher to come by than the R2 would lead one to believe!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    AU 50 details due to the scratch above the eagles head.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Unfortunately i agree with the others. image

Do you live in Ohio? I'm currently in Cincinnati for school but live in central ohio when not at school. If you get a chance and you're local, there's a monthly show in Hilliard that has some alright material that you might want to check out if you get a chance. Probably not worth more than a 45-50 minute drive though.

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file