Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Source for Registered Mail packaging tape?

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody know where one can purchase the brown or white paper packaging tape used to seal USPS Registered Mail packages? The stuff at Office Max/Depo has a waxy surface that will not allow the ink from the cancellation seals to stick to it.

Lane
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get mine at Office Depot..... Duck Brand by Henkel!!!

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    I get mine at Staples.........

TC
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I just sit at the Post Office and use theirs.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought mine via ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>I just sit at the Post Office and use theirs.

-Paul >>

That would be nice, but our Post Office is not that customer friendly!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>I get mine at Office Depot..... Duck Brand by Henkel!!! >>

I'll have to see if our local Office Depot can order this. Last time I checked they did not carry it in the store. Thanks!

Lane

Edited for the correct store!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I get mine at Staples.........

TC >>

+1
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I use scotch paper mailing tape that I buy for 3.00 a roll at the local drug store.

It has to be paper tape so the PO can stamp it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big roll of it from Staples.
  • Options
    Staples as well
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staples. If they don't have any on the shelf they've got in store on-line ordering avaiable.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use scotch paper mailing tape that I buy for 3.00 a roll at the local drug store.

It has to be paper tape so the PO can stamp it.

Steve >>

Actually its so the ink doesn't smear. As an aside, flat rate priority boxes don't need to be completely covered, only the seams do.
  • Options
    got mine at staples also.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I get mine at Staples.........

TC >>

Me too. Staples online. Item #: 468231. 2.8 inches x 125 yards. Works great.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    If you use a lot of tape or have folks you want to share packaging tape with, Uline sells brown Kraft sealing tape. 40 to 60 lb tape, 3" x 450' sells for $57 for ten rolls. Best deal I have found if you can use that quantity.

Uline is a great source for all shipping supplies if one needs materials in quantity.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.............uline is pretty good. i purchase their boxes also. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Staples.....Big roll that lasts forever (almost) You have to moisten it with a sponge (unless you have a cooperative puppy) image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Staples, but you may have to order it instead of getting it directly from a retail store.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'll have to see if our local Home Depot can order this. Last time I checked they did not carry it in the store. Thanks!

Lane >>

I don't think HOME DEPOT will know what you're asking for. But I'll bet OFFICE DEPOT will.
    You could also order it in bulk from uline.com

Or you could order it online from staples.com, or buy it by the roll at one of their retail stores.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My Staples carries it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FRUM WERK; FOR FREEEEE. I'd venture to guess that we are the biggest user of the stuff in Iowa. I'd bet we use more in a week than all of the post offices and sales stores in the state have in combination
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'll have to see if our local Home Depot can order this. Last time I checked they did not carry it in the store. Thanks!

Lane >>

Not Home Depot....Office Depot. Just order online if you need. They usually do free shipping on orders of $50 or more, so if there is anything else you can order, that you need, to pad the bill, you may not have to pay shipping

I've gotten from Staples and OD before....used with the PO with no problems.
    My PO will let me use their tape there but I like doing it at home so I can just drop it off at the PO in a lot less time (and package it the way I want and like with no hassles on the time or supplies).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Some times getting hit by lightening is easier.....
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Staples as well >>

I could be wrong, but I don't think they allow staples on the package, it must be paper tape.

imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    There's a couple of different varieties to chose from at the Staples store:

Staples® Standard Grade Paper Packaging Tape, 2.8" x 125 yards

Duck® Kraft Paper Tape, 2.75" x 500'

Not sure which one is better though... Also you can search eBay for "Staples coupon" and get a coupon for $25 off any online purchase of $75 or more. That's what I plan on doing next time I need to load up on supplies image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually its so the ink doesn't smear. As an aside, flat rate priority boxes don't need to be completely covered, only the seams do. >>

A intersting side note if you cover the whole box it will be sent with 1st class postage a couple of dollars saved.
    And Registered mail does not go any faster if it is in a Priorty box anyway.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually its so the ink doesn't smear. As an aside, flat rate priority boxes don't need to be completely covered, only the seams do. >>

A intersting side note if you cover the whole box it will be sent with 1st class postage a couple of dollars saved.
    And Registered mail does not go any faster if it is in a Priorty box anyway.

image >>

You use flat rate at those times when the weight is such that its cheaper than paying the priority rate; a green monster box of 500 silver eagles for instance; not sure what priority registered is for that, but flat rate priority registered is a whole lot less. If you cover the flat rate logo then you won't get the flat rate rate, thats why I said you only need cover the seams. We all know/shud know that priority registered doesn't get there any faster. There is a reason why Heritage uses the flat rate box when they got a ton a catalogs to get out.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think HOME DEPOT will know what you're asking for. But I'll bet OFFICE DEPOT will.
    You could also order it in bulk from uline.com

Or you could order it online from staples.com, or buy it by the roll at one of their retail stores. >>

LOL! image Yeah, I meant Office Depot!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You use flat rate at those times when the weight is such that its cheaper than paying the priority rate; a green monster box of 500 silver eagles for instance; not sure what priority registered is for that, but flat rate priority registered is a whole lot less. If you cover the flat rate logo then you won't get the flat rate rate, thats why I said you only need cover the seams. We all know/shud know that priority registered doesn't get there any faster. There is a reason why Heritage uses the flat rate box when they got a ton a catalogs to get out. >>

Sorry my experience was for a 4 ounce package last Friday, your right about the heavier weights.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staples for me as well - I also get the little bottle with the sponge on top to wet the tape (you can also use a regular sponge if you want).

I tried the self adhesive waxy brown tape - it was a disaster. I actually felt bad for the postal clerk who stamped all the seams - she had more ink on her than what ended up on the package. Threw all that self adhesive tape in the trash.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i> A intersting side note if you cover the whole [Priority Mail] box it will be sent with 1st class postage a couple of dollars saved. >>

Just be aware if you try this and the post office figures out somewhere along the way that you used a PM box, the package will either be delivered postage due or returned to you for insufficient postage. It's probably not much of a risk, but still...
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do most of you use to activate/moisten the glue?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do most of you use to activate/moisten the glue? >>

I use a wet paper towel.
  • Options
    34 posts about tape?
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>

I use a wet paper towel. >>

Me too, preferably with warm water. At my old warehouse job we used to have those automatic dispensers for the brown tape. Those machines were GREAT, but I think they cost around $300 bucks though image
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

A foam sponge that I also use to wash my car works great.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Also use a foam sponge, wet the tape on a scrap surface of cardboard -- the glue tends to go a bit over the edges. Also got my roll at Staples, tho the guy didn't know what I was talking about when inquiring as to whether they had any -- but, found it myself. image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FRUM WERK; FOR FREEEEE. I'd venture to guess that we are the biggest user of the stuff in Iowa. I'd bet we use more in a week than all of the post offices and sales stores in the state have in combination >>

There goes your forum ethics rating....but I have free tape from work too. They bought a case of 3m paper tape--pregummed and easy to use--and it was the wrong stuff for the work application so I got to take it away. The ink smears a little bit and occasionally the post office complains but they always take it. I've gotten to know all the postal clerks at the 3 post offices I ship at.

But I will eventually run out and I'll probably switch to the water-wetted stuff which is a bit of a pain. Anybody know where you can get a deal on a self wetting dispenser?

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

A foam sponge that I also use to wash my car works great. >>

yep, i use a sponge. those paper towel guys sure are rookiesimageimage

edit for sp
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    There's this store near my house.. can't remember the name of it.. Office Station, Office Terminal.. Office Junction, Office Stop.. something like that image

Seriously, has anyone checked ULine? They are often the cheapest, but you need to buy it by the case.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file