Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Very fast poppage on one of my recent submissions with some pop 1 PSA 10's

Besides the coin flip that can any day make a mint card gem mint (and vice versa) nothing seems "way" off except the 1984 Dayley. I'd like to say that the PSA 10 1981's were nice surprises, but they were heavily scrutinized by me for only potential 10s to submit. I'm glad the two that were deemed worthy of a PSA 10 grade are now pop 1's. After the results of my 100 card submission earlier this month, I decided that 25 cards on a submission would be my maximum for a while. That will cost me a few more return shipping fees, but it's my opinion that a smaller order has a better chance to be graded more accurately.

Turnaround time was tremendous as this submission was logged in on January 28th, and popped on January 30th. I have a few other submissions still there, and two more going in today.

NEAR MINT+ 7.5.......................................... 1969 TOPPS 25 ROY WHITE
NEAR MINT+ 7.5.......................................... 1969 TOPPS 375 HARMON KILLEBREW
NEAR MINT 7................................................ 1969 TOPPS 384 LARRY SHEPARD
NEAR MINT-MINT 8..................................... 1969 TOPPS 472 JIM PRICE
NEAR MINT 7................................................ 1969 TOPPS DECKLE EDGE 28 CURT FLOOD
NEAR MINT-MINT 8..................................... 1972 TOPPS 141 METS ROOKIES
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT......... 1972 TOPPS 106 BREWERS TEAM (2nd attempt)
NEAR MINT 7................................................. 1972 TOPPS 206 DAL MAXVILL
NEAR MINT-MINT 8...................................... 1972 TOPPS 373 JOHN MAYBERRY
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT......... 1975 TOPPS MINI 32 REGGIE CLEVELAND
NEAR MINT-MINT 8...................................... 1975 TOPPS MINI 590 CESAR CEDENO
MINT 9............................................................. 1979 TOPPS 184 DARREL CHANEY
MINT 9............................................................. 1979 TOPPS 228 VIC DAVALILLO
EXCELLENT 5............................................... 1979 TOPPS 187 MARK LEMONGELLO (I guess I missed a wrinkle)
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT.......... 1979 TOPPS 289 JOSE CRUZ
MINT 9............................................................. 1979 TOPPS 126 DOUG BAIR
MINT 9............................................................. 1981 TOPPS 473 JOSE CARDENAL
GEM MINT 10................................................. 1981 TOPPS 184 JIM DWYER (pop 1)
MINT 9............................................................. 1981 TOPPS 646 MARVIS FOLEY (1 of 5 with no 10's)
GEM MINT 10................................................. 1981 TOPPS 55 MIKE NORRIS (pop 1)
MINT 9............................................................. 1984 DONRUSS 41 JOE CARTER
NEAR MINT-MINT 8...................................... 1984 DONRUSS 199 KEN DAYLEY
MINT 9............................................................. 1984 DONRUSS 483 KEITH MORELAND
GEM MINT 10................................................. 1984 DONRUSS 198 STEVE LAKE
MINT 9............................................................. 1984 DONRUSS 569 JEFF RUSSELL

Comments

• mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Nice POP Nick!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike.
  • I don't see a single Jim Gantner card.

Nice pop anyway, I guess. image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nam ... nice grades and an AMAZING turnaround! I sent my first ever submissions in this month. They received the first two ($5 and $6 specials) on 01/21/09. One had 21 cards and the other 38. The other 2 submissions were received by them on 01/26/09. One was 6 cards on the freebie voucher and the other 6 cards that were incorrectly labeled. Still waiting for all of them to pop. HOPEFULLY soon.

I was going to send in another group today to take advantage of the special, but I really wanted to see the grades on the other submissions before I decide to send in any more cards to PSA. If the grades come back like I am hoping, I have quite a few more that I will be sending in.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    When I saw the Pop 1 in the title, I thought you had broke down and sent some Paul O'Neill cards in. image

Congrats on the sweet pop!

• I hope I get the same grader you had for my lot of 1981 Topps. I started with about 200 low or zero pop 10 commons and narrowed it down to about 20. If I'm not mistaken, one of them was Mike Norris #55.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    better get to the Post Office...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    nice going nick

<< <i>I hope I get the same grader you had for my lot of 1981 Topps. I started with about 200 low or zero pop 10 commons and narrowed it down to about 20. If I'm not mistaken, one of them was Mike Norris #55. >>

Well then I'm glad mine is graded and on the way back already before yours pops and possibly makes mine a pop 2. (If you have that kind of eye) image
  • Nick, I think my Mike Norris is probably a 9. I made myself send in the best one out of about 150 of them from cut card cases just because it was a zero pop 10 card. What a sick game we play. I subbed four 1981 Topps Ken Oberkfell's. It was still a zero pop common when sent.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Very nice job Nick and congrat on the Pop 1's. Are you going to crack out the MARVIS FOLEY and go for a second attempt? You know you will. lol

brian

<< <i>Very nice job Nick and congrat on the Pop 1's. Are you going to crack out the MARVIS FOLEY and go for a second attempt? You know you will. lol

brian >>

Brian - I almost always submit my cards in order by year and numerically within the year. I'm pretty sure that Foley was a slider I inserted out of numerical order to make the card(s) after him look stronger. It guess it worked, just as it did with the Moreland/Lake cards.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Brian - I almost always submit my cards in order by year and numerically within the year. I'm pretty sure that Foley was a slider I inserted out of numerical order to make the card(s) after him look stronger. It guess it worked, just as it did with the Moreland/Lake cards. >>

Very interesting concept. I'll have to try that one day when I get my ducks in a row.

brian
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    The 84 Donruss Moreland is tuff one to get a 10??

• PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Nick,

Congrats on a very nice looking sub!

2 pop 1's ... image

PoppaJ

<< <i>The 84 Donruss Moreland is tuff one to get a 10?? >>

Yeah, I think mine has taken two trips now to sunny California, but now that PSA-set-guy has exploded most of the 1984 Donruss PSA 10 populations, it will not be making another trip.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You could use a pair of glasses bigger to help pregrade your cards.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good work.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice sub. I agree with the smaller submission size strategy.

Robb

<< <i>Nice sub. I agree with the smaller submission size strategy.

Robb >>

So far, so good. I have 2 small subs there already, and 2 small ones sent out today.