Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This Seller Blames PSA!

Up for auction is a 1954 Bowman Willie Mays PSA 5 (MC), pictured below. In the title and description, the seller is blaming PSA and truly attempting to take PSA to task, though he is somewhat confusing. First in the title, he states that "PSA Mess Up" and that it is "Graded EX-5..Should be VG/EX-4." Now, check out his description:

Ok, here's what we have...1954 Bowman Willie Mays graded by PSA. As is the case with most PSA graded cards...it's graded wrong!! Oh , you say I just want more money for the card? No, because the truth is I am down-grading to a VG/EX-4, rather than their EX-5. Also their saying it's Miscut..well, a miscut card means that you have some of another card in the border...nope , theres no miscut here. The card is centered side to side @ 70/30 and top to bottom 98/2 (see border in picture). Yes it's way off-center top to bottom , but there is a border on the top albeit very little, there is a border..THIS CARD IS NOT A MISCUT!!! Now back to my grading...the card is CREASE AND WRINKLE FREE . the corners are all VG/Ex corners...worn but not seriously rounded.The clarity is very nice, no writing or gum residue. Now, if you like to think it's an "Excellant' graded card and that my grading is full of "Donkey Dust' ...fine, thats your choice, after all the "worlds" greatest and most "Professional" graders have graded this card as "Excellant'.. It is a nice collectible card of one of baseballs all-time greats, again no creases, no wrinkles. I just want to be honest about the grading as I have been in the hobby as an investor/collector for over 40 years. This card is nicely "entombed" in a PSA case. Please ask any questions..........thank you....ps..You could probably take this card from it's tomb and send it to another grader and they would grade it as not being "miscut"...that's not a fact but my opinion.

That, my friends, is something else.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. My favorite part is where he asserts that most PSA graded cards are graded wrong.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Should the card have an OC qualifier instead??
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I wonder what the back of the card looks like. Perhaps that is where the MC comes into play.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Now that is interesting. If it's not MC it's definitely OC.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    WOW, If not MC definitly OC
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what the back of the card looks like. Perhaps that is where the MC comes into play. >>

Yeah, that could be.

I don't think I've seen a 5 OC before. It seems that if there's any border at all, it's good enough for a straight 5.

I wonder what the guy hopes to accomplish with his rant. I don't imagine that honesty in this form will help his reputation. Maybe he just doesn't have a message board to vent on?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What an idiot.

First off he has his centering backwards and who cares if it's OC or MC?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what the back of the card looks like. Perhaps that is where the MC comes into play. >>

The back of this card might be MC, but I once subbed a card that came back 9MC even though there was a small amount of border on the left side. The back of that particular card was well-centered. Sometimes the results are just hard to figure out.
    Brett
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What an idiot.

Steve >>

OC or MC. Steve, you read my mind.
    Brett
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Seller is sooooooooo worried about the grade? Well, seller should 'crack it' and re-sub it to PSA himself!

"My 2 cents!"

I agree ...MC or OC, who cares! If a buyer/collector just wanted a low-priced, lower graded example of this card, they probably wouldn't care of it was MC or OC image

rd
  • Options
    Either way it is a 3 for registry purposes.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Do a search on the card on eBay and you will see that this guy (or a friend of his) just bought this card 5 days ago for $62.00 plus shipping. You can also see the back of the card on that sale ... the centering is about the same as on the front. Did he realize that he does not like the card, or does he think that he can get more $$$ for it? We shall see.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    Can't firgure out why he waste thesecond picture with a shot of the PSA label when it is clear in the first picture. The second picture would have been a perfect place to show the back of the card...
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    moron, the differnce between a 4 and a 5 without a crease or wrinkle is completely subjective and no one can be as precise as this moron thinks he can be, MC or OC , who cares , the card is 99% oc , whether you call it mc or oc it doesn't matter. psa has some mistakes out there but I doubt that ranting about this one is going to make a seller any more or less credible. foolish , good humor for a saturday morning
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller is probably a net54 member. image

But about the grading...he is correct - it's not a miscut card.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still a better e-bay title than those who would say 1954 Bowman Willie Mays PSA 5 UNDERGRADED.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I think the more interesting question is, "Why is the seller using the exact same images from the previous auction?!?!"
  • Options
    Actually the MC designation does fit this card.

To wit:

" Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue OR ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC". "

That card is not typical of the way 1954 Bowmans were cut.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

the seller probably thinks he will get better money for a PSA 4 then a PSA 5 with a qualifier...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What an idiot.

Steve >>

Exactly!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    He's from NJ! What do you expect?!?!?
  • Options
    Check his description from his previously sold 54 Bowman Mantle:

"Well, this card was purchased by me from Kit Young awhile back and he graded it as VG/Ex! ( and I agree with that grading) Kit has been in the business for @ 40 years( been on many magazines, TV shows etc.) ...how long has your so-called Professional graders been around? Do you know them? Who really are the "professionals" in this hobby? Are they 18 year kids working as part-timers grading cards? Are they retirees who have impaired vision? Who are they? I personally have been in the hobby since 1968..long before Beckett, long before "graded "cards and yes a card like this one back in '68 would have been sold for @ $1.00! Not trying so much to push my card but want everyone to know what their buying. Where can you get a '54 Mantle card for $230? No creases...yes it has a wrinkle , but remember a wrinkle is from the factory , not from a kid using it on his bike as a motor. Same as Off- centeredness, it's a factory produced card. Creases, corner wear, writing are from the owners of the card , not from the factory. So, go ahead and buy a "professionally" graded card from some housewife trying to make ends meet at PSA, GAI or BGS or what have you. That card will put you back around $350-400.......thank you"
  • Options
    Actually Kit has not been in the business for 40 years I think he started in 1978.

Steve

edited to add: Make that 1976
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Either way it is a 3 for registry purposes.

Steve >>

Very true...so actually, a "downgrade" to 4 would in fact, be an "upgrade".

Steve
  • Options
    Steve that is what that nut is thinking I'm sure, however, even if it did '4' it would
    IMO be a 4 OC or even if it got a straight 4 the amount of OC surely does not change.

The card like all other is what it is.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I like the how he explains the wrinkle thing and one more tidbit...

IT IS SPELLED EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

A freakin "E" followed by an "X", then a freakin "C", followed by another freakin "E". Then you thrown in back to back "L"'s, yet another freakin "E" (NOT AN "A"...get it there are no "A"'s in this word!!!!), then you end it with and "N" and a "T".

Good Lord people, I bet 50% of all ebay posters use the word "excellant"
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY