Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this legit? 1999 UD 500 HR Club Bat Ruth/ Aaron/ Mays

I know this set is heavily collected since day one. I have never heard of this card. Also the close up of the 500 Home Run logo looks super grainy. What do you guys think?

LINK

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it is.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the Upper Deck hologram on the card, but I know nothing of this issue. I know their older cards all had holograms.

Mike

EDITED FOR OOPS I SEE THE HOLOGRAM NOW ON LOWER LEFT BACK. SORRY!
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Upper Deck confirmed it as legit, just to be clear.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    "If it seems to good to be true...."

Any chance you can get the scan, so we can look at it, biggie-sized?

I'm curious.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see the Upper Deck hologram on the card, but I know nothing of this issue. I know their older cards all had holograms.

Mike >>

The hologram is there on the left.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Very cool card! Looks fine to me!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Stan- where did you see that Upper Deck confirmed it? I looked for an article on Beckett and could not find any. I would think it would be worthy of a press release that 2 cards like this surface 10 years after release.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't see the Upper Deck hologram on the card, but I know nothing of this issue. I know their older cards all had holograms.

Mike >>

The hologram is there on the left. >>

Yeah, I saw it after I posted and edited my post at the same time of your reply. I need my glasses tonight but I left them at work image

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I called Upper Deck when I seen it pop up on Ebay, just to make sure, since I was in awe of that card. I have always loved that set.

Also, the seller mentions it in the description:

"AFTER MANY WEEKS OF INVESTIGATION AND TALKING TO UPPER DECK WE NOW KNOW THAT THIS CARD IS AN EXTREME SHORT PRINT"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mike >>

The hologram is there on the left. >>

Yeah, I saw it after I posted and edited my post at the same time of your reply. I need my glasses tonight but I left them at work image

Mike >>

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, the seller mentions it in the description:

"AFTER MANY WEEKS OF INVESTIGATION AND TALKING TO UPPER DECK WE NOW KNOW THAT THIS CARD IS AN EXTREME SHORT PRINT" >>

Yeah because if an eBay seller says something it must be true. If it is legit, UD either recently printed it and dated it 1999 or it has been in the UD safe and recently got released.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, the seller mentions it in the description:

"AFTER MANY WEEKS OF INVESTIGATION AND TALKING TO UPPER DECK WE NOW KNOW THAT THIS CARD IS AN EXTREME SHORT PRINT" >>

Yeah because if an eBay seller says something it must be true. If it is legit, UD either recently printed it and dated it 1999 or it has been in the UD safe and recently got released. >>

That is why I called them to verify. As I said, I have collected and been a fan of this set since the start. I had never seen this card until it was listed on Ebay. Upper Deck tells me it is legit, but who knows the whole story as to why they have never surfaced until now.
  • Options
    Done a little more searching:

Beckett

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    I have seen similar cards but why is this one worth more?
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen similar cards but why is this one worth more? >>

The Upper Deck APOH 500 HR Club set is very, very popular with a certain group of collectors. The signed versions, and the Ruth bat /50 have gone for pretty hefty $$money$$ over the years. In the thousands for the signed versions of guys like Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew, Mickey Mantle, Mark McGwire.

The Ruth bat /50 has went for around $6000 on numerous occasions. The Ruth bat /350 still brings $650-$1000.

It's a sweet set, and probably the most important game used set ever produced for the hobby.

EDIT: To add, it's going for that, since it appears to be a very, very shortprinted card. Like I said earlier, it is the first one I have seen since this set started in 1999, and I have searched and scoured for these APOH cards on a consistent basis since 1999.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you guys think?

LINK >>

The card is legit, but the auction almost gave me a seizure. Someone needs to tell sellers that giant, multi-colored fonts don't help sell cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What do you guys think?

LINK >>

The card is legit, but the auction almost gave me a seizure. Someone needs to tell sellers that giant, multi-colored fonts don't help sell cards. >>

did the spinning buy it now logo get you to bid?
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting....The seller utilizes Auctiva for their store which allows them to do their cross promotions and photo hosting, but they seem to PAY ebay for their crappy small ebay photos instead of using auctiva's photo hosting for free and much larger image sizes.

I will send them a note and see if they provide a larger scan.

brian

Edit:

The seller is very new to scanning and doesn't totally understand self hosting images or auctiva, but I'm trying to help him. He seems very nice and I hope he figures it out.

brian
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭✭
    Stan/Tim....I'm not sure how you could really know anything about this card, as everyone knows that the players on it were MUCH better than Stan Musial (jealous?) image
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Very interesting....The seller utilizes Auctiva for their store which allows them to do their cross promotions and photo hosting, but they seem to PAY ebay for their crappy small ebay photos instead of using auctiva's photo hosting for free and much larger image sizes.

He's been responding and I think he's a nice guy. Hopefully we can walk him through his new scanner and help him with Auctiva.

• Options
    The seller is reputable, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have seen him and his son at several larger shows (Nationals and SF Tristar) and he always has a lot of nice high end stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>The seller is reputable, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have seen him and his son at several larger shows (Nationals and SF Tristar) and he always has a lot of nice high end stuff. >>

You are probably correct...??? I sent him another email and asked what scanner he has and maybe I could tell him how to show a larger scan and he replied right back and gave me the scanner model...I'm going to see if I can walk him through posting a larger image.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Stan/Tim....I'm not sure how you could really know anything about this card, as everyone knows that the players on it were MUCH better than Stan Musial (jealous?) image >>

LOL....image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Very interesting....The seller utilizes Auctiva for their store which allows them to do their cross promotions and photo hosting, but they seem to PAY ebay for their crappy small ebay photos instead of using auctiva's photo hosting for free and much larger image sizes.

brian >>

Anyone who is really interested in this card, NEEDS TO RUN FAST and Far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is what I just got from the seller...

<< <i>

Dear Brian,

That is the best my scanner will do, I can tell you the card is a strong nmt-mt with no dings or creases. >>

OK I feel better now....I'm going to be the winning bidder!! >>

He is an honest person to deal with. He has owned and brokered deals on some of the most important/high dollar game used cards in the history of this hobby. This comment you made about him is uncalled for.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller is reputable, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have seen him and his son at several larger shows (Nationals and SF Tristar) and he always has a lot of nice high end stuff. >>

You are probably correct...??? I sent him another email and asked what scanner he has and maybe I could tell him how to show a larger scan and he replied right back and gave me the scanner model...I'm going to see if I can walk him through posting a larger image.

brian >>

Stan, Please read this post I made. I've actually been emailing him back and forth and trying to help him...He actually seems like a very nice guy and I'm trying to help him out.

brian
  • Options

I have gotten several emails from the seller and he seems very nice. I'm trying to help him figure out how to post or supply larger images.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

brian >>

Stan, Please read this post I made. I've actually been emailing him back and forth and trying to help him...He actually seems like a very nice guy and I'm trying to help him out.

brian >>

You're not helping him, you just criticized him a few posts up^^. Get real. I'm sure he does not need your help, as this is not his first rodeo when it comes to selling high end cards.
  • Options
    Stan, I was in the process of editing my posts in between trying to help him with his scanner..

We've had many emails back and forth and he doesn't completely understand how to use it and doesn't know how to use his auctiva, but said he likes it.

Why don't you read the PM i sent you an calm down a bit.

Even though I'm out of work, I charge alot per hour for computer help, but I've been helping this guy for free.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Stan, I was in the process of editing my posts in between trying to help him with his scanner..

We've had many emails back and forth and he doesn't completely understand how to use it and doesn't know how to use his auctiva, but said he likes it.

Why don't you read the PM i sent you an calm down a bit.

Even though I'm out of work, I charge alot per hour for computer help, but I've been helping this guy for free.

brian >>

Brian,

I'm not upset, and have no need to calm down. I was just stating that when you criticize him in a reply(basically tell people not to bid), and then say you are helping him, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that kind of stuff. That's all.

It's great to help with adding larger pics, but the comments placing question on him/his auction is what I thought was kind of out of hand. I doubt he would appreciate that, either. You know what I mean?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    COME ON NOW GUYS ... WHERE'S THE LOVE ON THIS BOARD.

SPREAD DA LUV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that if this card was really issued 10 years ago it has never been cataloged in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.
  • Options
    Tim / StanTheManMusial,

Again I was in the process of editing my posts when you jumped on my posts. You could clearly see I was editing my posts and saying the seller seemed nice enough, but you love to call out the members in here from what I see.

You have to remember that many of us have been taken by ebay sellers, even the ones with high feedback and even some well known ones. Yes I probably jumped the gun a bit and made a comment about the listing, but remember that it's a card that certainly is in question and it will sell high and it's not a well known card.

I went the extra mile and corresponded with the seller and offered my help long before your reply. He does have a good scanner and auctiva, but he said he was very new to them both and didn't know for sure how to supply a larger scan. I told the seller he could fetch more money with larger scans and it could protect him down the road if a buyer pulls a switcharoo and sends back a fake one.

I tried to give the seller some input and I hope he figures it out and I wished him luck.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>Tim / StanTheManMusial,

Again I was in the process of editing my posts when you jumped on my posts. You could clearly see I was editing my posts and saying the seller seemed nice enough, but you love to call out the members in here from what I see.

You have to remember that many of us have been taken by ebay sellers, even the ones with high feedback and even some well known ones. Yes I probably jumped the gun a bit and made a comment about the listing, but remember that it's a card that certainly is in question and it will sell high and it's not a well known card.

I went the extra mile and corresponded with the seller and offered my help long before your reply. He does have a good scanner and auctiva, but he said he was very new to them both and didn't know for sure how to supply a larger scan. I told the seller he could fetch more money with larger scans and it could protect him down the road if a buyer pulls a switcharoo and sends back a fake one.

I tried to give the seller some input and I hope he figures it out and I wished him luck.

brian >>

Now hold on here, I didn't start this, you did. I don't love to do anything, but I just thought it was not right for you to talk smack about the guy, when you didn't even know him, then claim you are helping him. If he was doing something shady, then I would totally agree with you, but he is not doing anything like that.

How can I read your mind, and know you are going to go back and edit posts you made 2 hours ago? Seriously, Brian.
  • Options

<< <i>Now hold on here, I didn't start this, you did. I don't love to do anything, but I just thought it was not right for you to talk smack about the guy, when you didn't even know him, then claim you are helping him. If he was doing something shady, then I would totally agree with you, but he is not doing anything like that.

How can I read your mind, and know you are going to go back and edit posts you made 2 hours ago? Seriously, Brian. >>

Tim, You need to get your facts straight here. My original post to the 3rd post was LESS than an hour I had already posted I was going to see if I can help him scan and provide a larger image. Your post in regards to my second post was a few minutes after my 3rd post. At that time I had already had 3 emails back and forth between the seller and was trying to walk him through it. I was more concerned about helping him than editing my second post at that time.

My first post was at Friday January 30, 2009 6:42 AM PST

My 2nd post was at Friday January 30, 2009 7:18 AM PST
    "I will send them a note and see if they provide a larger scan.
    brian
    Anyone who is really interested in this card, NEEDS TO RUN FAST and Far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My 3rd post was Friday January 30, 2009 7:38 AM PST
    << The seller is reputable, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have seen him and his son at several larger shows (Nationals and SF Tristar) and he always has a lot of nice high end stuff. >>

brian

In my 3rd post and thereafter I was spending my time trying to help the seller and I was noting it in my posts.

Yes you can't read my mind Tim, but you were slamming me as I stated I was trying to help the guy (Yes that was posted within a hour of my first post)

I wish I could recant my original 2nd post as it was a bit premature of an observation, but I gave the guy a couple of hours of my time trying to help him in the meantime and gave him some great suggestions.

Brian
  • Options
    Tim, I didn't feel like doing a screen capture, so here is my PM I had with you.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 9:11 AM
    Hi Brian,

I just didn't think there was any need to tell people to run if they was thinking about bidding/winning this card. That is uncalled for, and only hurts him. You should not have posted that for no reason. That's all.

Bigger pics or not, may not matter, due to the scarcity of the card. Most anyone who bids on this type of stuff already knows he is a honest guy to start with. He has sat up at about every major show over the years.

Tim

bman90278

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 9:04 AM
    Stan, I've been editing my original posts but you beat me to it...

I have been emailing him back and forth and he seems nice. Maybe you could call him and walk him through how to use larger images?? He said he has a HP Scanjet 3300C .

He has a very good scanner that scans at 9600dpi, but he said he's very new to it and doesn't know how to use it. I told him that he must be in a basic mode, plus ebay sizes the images very small. I even suggested he could use his auctiva but he dosesn't know how.

Either way, he seems very nice and I told him that he has some nice stuff and people say nice things about him and that he could get higher prices on some of his stuff with larger images.

brian
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tim you confused again?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's interesting that if this card was really issued 10 years ago it has never been cataloged in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. >>

I found a card from 1997 two years ago that was missing from the Standard Catalog...it still happens...but my find was nothing as significant as this...just the last card missing in an obscure 5x7 jumbo set issue.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm sold. If StanTheMan vouches for this seller, I'll buy from him with no worries whatsoever!
  • Options

<< <i>Tim, I didn't feel like doing a screen capture, so here is my PM I had with you.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 9:11 AM
    Hi Brian,

I just didn't think there was any need to tell people to run if they was thinking about bidding/winning this card. That is uncalled for, and only hurts him. You should not have posted that for no reason. That's all.

Bigger pics or not, may not matter, due to the scarcity of the card. Most anyone who bids on this type of stuff already knows he is a honest guy to start with. He has sat up at about every major show over the years.

Tim

bman90278

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 9:04 AM
    Stan, I've been editing my original posts but you beat me to it...

I have been emailing him back and forth and he seems nice. Maybe you could call him and walk him through how to use larger images?? He said he has a HP Scanjet 3300C .

He has a very good scanner that scans at 9600dpi, but he said he's very new to it and doesn't know how to use it. I told him that he must be in a basic mode, plus ebay sizes the images very small. I even suggested he could use his auctiva but he dosesn't know how.

Either way, he seems very nice and I told him that he has some nice stuff and people say nice things about him and that he could get higher prices on some of his stuff with larger images.

brian >>

Brian,

Nice cheapshot to get back at me for outing your boy PoppaJ as a liar the other day. I know, you have to defend your pals on here, even when they are proven to by liars.

I didn't say anything in that pm that I have not said on here, so I don't see what you hoped to do with that nonsense.

<<Anyone who is really interested in this card, NEEDS TO RUN FAST and Far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>

Anyway you want to twist it, you told anyone interested in that card to RUN FAR AWAY, and YOU placed doubt on the seller, when you had NO CLUE as to what YOU were saying. Then, you had to backtrack and start deleting/editing your messages when you realized that you had indeed jumped the gun and made a stupid allegation that was uncalled for. Don't blame me when you want to place your foot in your mouth.

• Options

<< <i>Tim you confused again?

Steve >>

Steve,

Let's not start this nonsense again. Go back and see that Brian stuck his foot in his mouth with a stupid accusation that was uncalled for, and then had to backtrack and started deleting/editing his replies.

Good seller, rare care, and no need to call the seller into question. None whatsoever.. Totally uncalled for. I am sure the seller would not appreciate it either.
  • Options
    Sigh..........it was a freaking joke.

You need to chill out.

image <=====Grin added to show it was a joke.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Sigh..........it was a freaking joke.

You need to chill out.

image <=====Grin added to show it was a joke.

Steve >>

Steve,

You never know around here anymore. image
  • Options
    What we do know is that you need to chill out, just because you took what Brian said
    the way you did DOES NOT mean everyone else does. He tried to explain to you at least 4 times
    that he was mistaken when he made his original statement.

That was my take after reading his posts and then I re read them as per your request.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>What we do know is that you need to chill out, just because you took what Brian said
    the way you did DOES NOT mean everyone else does. He tried to explain to you at least 4 times
    that he was mistaken when he made his original statement.

That was my take after reading his posts and then I re read them as per your request.

Steve >>

I don't need to do any such thing. If I came on here and posted something like that about a well-respected seller, I would be trashed/hammered for such a thing. You darn well know that.
  • Options
    If what he said was so innocent, and no harm or placing question on the seller and his auction, then why did he delete and edit all of his posts pertaining to the matter? Backtracking maybe? Hmmm..
  • Options
    Steve,

You also need to consider we are all in different time zones as well. He is pacific time, I am central, and you are eastern time. From the time he made the acusation, to the time he edited it was just shy of 2 hours.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's not start this nonsense again. Go back and see that Brian stuck his foot in his mouth with a stupid accusation that was uncalled for, and then had to backtrack and started deleting/editing his replies.

Good seller, rare care, and no need to call the seller into question. None whatsoever.. Totally uncalled for. I am sure the seller would not appreciate it either. >>

Tim, I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. I made one small statement and added another post that I had heard back from the guy and he seemed ok, all within the same hour. I made a statement which was only my initial observation and I believe I addressed it right away and tried to even help the seller. I know you are very experienced and want to steer people in the right direction, but you are slamming me and I only had the best of intentions and had nothing to hide. You slam others who I feel are very good people in the community. Just chill down a few notches.

Regards,
    brian
  • Options

<< <i>Steve,

You also need to consider we are all in different time zones as well. He is pacific time, I am central, and you are eastern time. From the time he made the acusation, to the time he edited it was just shy of 2 hours. >>

Tim, You are missing the point...My second post which had my sarcastic comment to the next post in which I said the seller had gotten back to me and I was trying to help him was all less than ONE HOUR... If you don't believe me, recheck my quotes you quoted.

I went back at your SUGGESTION and removed my ONE AND ONLY sarcastic comment which was 2 hours. The top is the original post and the bottom shows the edit.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Let's not start this nonsense again. Go back and see that Brian stuck his foot in his mouth with a stupid accusation that was uncalled for, and then had to backtrack and started deleting/editing his replies.

Good seller, rare care, and no need to call the seller into question. None whatsoever.. Totally uncalled for. I am sure the seller would not appreciate it either. >>

Tim, I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. I made one small statement and added another post that I had heard back from the guy and he seemed ok, all within the same hour. I made a statement which was only my initial observation and I believe I addressed it right away and tried to even help the seller. I know you are very experienced and want to steer people in the right direction, but you are slamming me and I only had the best of intentions and had nothing to hide. You slam others who I feel are very good people in the community. Just chill down a few notches.

Regards,
    brian >>

Correction; I called out your buddy PoppaJ for saying I was a liar, and I proved him to be the one who is a liar. Just come outright and say that is where your hangup with me is. That is why you posted my pm to you, and sarcasticly mentioned the screenshot ordeal.

You made a statement for anyone interested in that card to "RUN FAR AWAY". Imagine if you were running a legit auction, and had a rare high end card up for sale, and I made that same statement about you? Would you be happy? Especially, if it placed doubt in potential bidder's heads, and potentially might cost you some money?

EDIT: spell
  • Options
    Stan!!! he said 5 times he made a mistake what else do you want from the guy?? Yes he was wrong you were right.

Is that what you want? someone to say you were right?? OK I just did it.

Steve
    Good for you.