Home Metal Detecting

Nothing on the new homesite!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
So far I haven't found a thing on the property of the new house I bought in Ben Lomond, CA, other than a sledgehammer head. I'm disappointed!

I am right up from the 1890s school house, though, and am gonna swing by that later tonight. So far I've pulled about 120 lincoln cents out of there, nothing older than 1968. The school yard is small, so now I'm gonna focus more on the land around the school. Did I mention this site is REALLY scary to be at in the night-time!?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• if it were me, i would work out all the surface targets. when the targets from 0-6" are gone, go for deeper tones. typically people always go for the main areas. working other areas will probably be best. search under bushes, along fences and the very edge of sidewalks.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great site.... nothing there to harm you... good luck... Cheers, RickO
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took Demo Digger's advice and searched the woods around the school just very briefly and found an an old metal axe head buried at the foot of a giant redwood. So far, that makes two sledgehammer heads and an axe head I've found in this area. I wish I knew how old the axe head is--- I'm probably just gonna rebury it at the site at the same location the next time I'm up there; it has no monetary value and I don't wanna take it out of its archaeological context.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • i dug 3 axe heads this past week. all were hand forged and are at least 100 years old. for me they are way better than coins. they represent a piece of a puzzle. i have them soaking in hydrogen peroxide and will someday give them a clear coat.

aside from all that, old iron tells you something. it says your in the right area. get to know what old nails and hand forged items look like. those who are successful have learned to read the clues. a giant oak in the middle of a field, broken pottery shards, rusty iron, abalone shell fragments etc.