Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about Copper Bars

Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I've recently started buying 10oz silver bars and stumbled across some copper oz bars and was wondering if copper is around 1.50 per pound why are the copper bars so much more than the copper? On Feebay a I seen some 8oz bars for about $10 with shipping but a 5 kilo sold for $100 so thats only 11 pounds of copper right? Thanks, Jason

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's eBay and full of bidiots.
  • Options
    I second that. I just sold a 12 oz copper bar for $30, 5 oz bar $10, 1 oz bar $10. Good ole eBay.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Because it's eBay and full of bidiots. >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    And...... I do not know of a single coin shop, of any size, that BUYS copper bars.....

[ that said, some one will point one out].
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    JkramerJkramer Posts: 88 ✭✭
    lol. bidiots Well that explains it image
    Anyone know where I could get one at a much more reasonable price for the larger bars? Just think it would be kinda cool to have one but not at 75 x's the value image Thanks
  • Options
    Industrial copper comes in 20 foot bars that weigh several hundred pounds. They come in a #1, #2 and #3 purity and that determines price.

The cost of manufacturing small bars for sale would be more than the value of the metal itself.

Obviously someone has discovered a niche market here.

I suppose you could contact a manufacturer and have them ship you some, but the minimum order might be several tons.

I'd think you could buy copper grounding rods from an electrical contractor at a much better price and you would only have to deal with a few to a few hundred pounds, your choice on the amount. Maybe melt them yourself and make a profit on the Bay.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Stop in at your local scrap yard and they will sell you some copper stock for few bucks/lb. Or you could go to local hardware store and buy some plumbing pipe lol
    Its all relative
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen those copper bars.
    Way overpriced, and they still sell.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Jeesh, time to buy some copper and a band saw!image
  • Options
    Industrial copper comes in 20 foot bars that weigh several hundred pounds. They come in a #1, #2 and #3 purity and that determines price.Deadhorse

This is not at all true.
    Copper comes in 12 foot bars. The majority of metal bars are 12 footers.
    Copper is alloyed with other metals for different purposes, and you buy the copper alloy you require. There are at least 400 different alloys of copper.
    I own a machine shop, and have bought a lot of copper over the years.
    It's nuts to buy this stuff if you don't have a need for it.

Ray

• Options
    I have about 25 pounds of .9999 copper shavings (the squigly scraps left over after milling copper bars). I'd be willing to sell any or all of it at just $7 per pound plus a modest shipping charge.
  • Options
    I bought some of the kilo cu bars from Cohen Mint. Also bought a kilo bar of zinc too.

Cohen NI, CU, Zinc, and brass bars.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    So what do some people do, buy long copper bars, and cut them down on a band saw or something in the garage and sell small bars on ebay?

Where do they buy these long bars?
  • Options

<< <i>I bought some of the kilo cu bars from Cohen Mint. Also bought a kilo bar of zinc too.

Cohen NI, CU, Zinc, and brass bars. >>

Okay.
    But what for?
    These are industrial metals and are common as dirt.
    When you go to sell your market is the local scrap yard.
    Did you get your order in for some cast iron yet?

Ray
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought some of the kilo cu bars from Cohen Mint. Also bought a kilo bar of zinc too.

Okay.
    But what for?

Ray >>

Could probably flip them on the bay for a quick profit with some good photos in the auction.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't copper bars where police go to drink?

• Options

<< <i>

Okay.
    But what for?
    These are industrial metals and are common as dirt.
    When you go to sell your market is the local scrap yard.
    Did you get your order in for some cast iron yet?

Ray >>

Gee, what a way to ask me why I bought copper and zinc bars.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't miss out!!!!

When all about you are looking for building materials and there are none to be found, YOU can have good .995 concrete cinderblock ingots for your family's security in the event of a complete collapse.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    If you must hoard copper...

...then consider hoarding presidential dollars.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I've discovered a source for Concrete Ingots. Wonder if the eBidiots will buy those?

just my luck - Home Depot will go out of business