Home Precious Metals
Options

A couple of quetions for those who wish to offer

their valued input/knowledge, (90%}, I find extremely usefull; the other ten 10% entertain me. A winning combination, from any persepective.

{Question One}-From the serial# on a 100-0Z Engelhard Silver bar can you determine the date or even approximate date of MFG. off the bar? I'm 99% sure you can but can't seem to find a good source. So what the heck, I decided to querry the experts. image.

{Question two}- Would you please rate your favorite Bar? JM, Engelhrard, or A mark. I realize their are many other excellent bars out there. I'm more familar on the three bars above.

{Question}- Three} Here is one you need a crystal ball for, should silver break $13.00 at Fridays close what does that tell you? Chartist please offer any info. you may have up your sleeve; gut feelings more than welcome. Heck, what's I use mostly.

{Question}Four}Heck I forgot Question four, it will come to me again when I don't need it. image. Heck comes close to muti thinking for my feeble brain a wondering about those questions I do remember, I hear this comes from aging. HMMMM. My wife swears I snore, If I do, it never bothers me. I must admit my hearing and eyesight aren't what they used to be. I blame it on the enviroment, my wife tells me I'm in serious denial; must admit I think she's right.

Thanks fellas, Take cafe. jws

Sure wish they had splell check.

Oh, while it's on my mind; where is create poll button? Help says that's where I need to head, but durn, I can't find it. image

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    {Question two}- Would you please rate your favorite Bar? JM, Engelhrard, or A mark. I realize their are many other excellent bars out there. I'm more familar on the three bars above.

I prefer Engelhard. I like the way their bars look and feel, and the fact that it was an American manufacturer makes it all the more appealing.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like old hand poured bars and old engelhard and JM bars are my favorite.
    I do tend to notice that on ebay engelhards and JM sell for more than other silver (excluding collectible silver)

On #1, why do you care about date of MFG? Engelhard I believe has stopped making any bars for a number of years, I thought I heard JM only does 100 ozers now.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you please rate your favorite Bar? >>

Johnson Matthey struck bars and Engelhard poured bars. No reason, I just like 'em.

imageimage
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "On #1, why do you care about date of MFG? Engelhard I believe has stopped making any bars for a number of years, I thought I heard JM only does 100 ozers now". mkman123

Thought I saw one on the Bay, said something like old and listed the date of MFG. Thought you might be able to tell the approx. age of the bar by the #. Take Cafe; jws
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. I really dig those poured, polished Perth Mint bars for some reason. Very cool stuff.

• Options

<< <i>"On #1, why do you care about date of MFG? Engelhard I believe has stopped making any bars for a number of years, I thought I heard JM only does 100 ozers now". mkman123

Thought I saw one on the Bay, said something like old and listed the date of MFG. Thought you might be able to tell the approx. age of the bar by the #. Take Cafe; jws >>

I'm sure that there is a database from Engelhard that lists serial numbers and manufacture dates. I've never seen one but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. I have a solid feeling that Engelhard kept very good records. Certainly a very small number would indicate an older bar. I suppose some would find that appealing, doesn't mean much to me but each to his/her own.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    "I'm sure that there is a database from Engelhard that lists serial numbers and manufacture dates. I've never seen one but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. I have a solid feeling that Engelhard kept very good records. Certainly a very small number would indicate an older bar. I suppose some would find that appealing, doesn't mean much to me but each to his/her own". Deadhorse

The bar I'm lookin at is Engelhard 100-0Z, #W155004, An old pour, what I call a bread Loaf bar. Does this help in determing age? Thanks, jws
  • Options
    I prefer poured bars..

Just something about the tactile feel of the smooth rounded edges vs the assembly line stamped out "blocks" of silver.

As far as liquidity... I'd stick with Englehard.

• Options

<< <i>"I'm sure that there is a database from Engelhard that lists serial numbers and manufacture dates. I've never seen one but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. I have a solid feeling that Engelhard kept very good records. Certainly a very small number would indicate an older bar. I suppose some would find that appealing, doesn't mean much to me but each to his/her own". Deadhorse

The bar I'm lookin at is Engelhard 100-0Z, #W155004, An old pour, what I call a bread Loaf bar. Does this help in determing age? Thanks, jws >>

I'm no Engelhard historian, but I can tell you that the poured bars came before the extruded ones. They shut down production of silver bars in 1984. My guess is that the bar you are talking about would have been poured in the late 60's to the mid 70's, not that that narrows it down all that much. Just a semi-educated guess.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I also like the old pour engels. I showed one to my brother who also invests in silver 100oz bars and his eyes lit up " wow I've never seen a bar like that" after talking it seems all his are modern extruded bars.

No I wouldn't sell one of mine to him when he asked.image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite bars are by Johnson Matthey, then Engelhard is a close 2nd.
    And I prefer the poured bars.
    But the newer struck bars are nice, also.
  • Options
    No one seems to like the AMark bars. Now you tell me. I recently ordered 20 10-0Z, from Apmex when they had a special.

image.

I've sold a few on the Bay and they seemed to do alright. I'm like the majority, I definitely like the old pour, just something about the look. JM is my favorite.

You all take Care, jws.

Fellas/Gals, you were supposed to come back and tell me A-Mark was fine as investment bars. imageimage. jws