Home Precious Metals
Options

Help a newb out PLEASE!!!

I am going to buy a few thousand $ in silver bullion shortly, but I am unsure as to the best way to purchase it. In your opinion, is APMEX, Ebay, Bullion Direct, or some other company the best route?? I want to get the most for my money here. I am primarily interested in 90%, SAE, and SML bullion. PLEASE PLEASE offer me some guideance here. I am trying to take shipping, fees, etc. into account when making my purchase. Thanks in advance.
Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.--Heraclitus, 5 B.C.

Comments

• Options
    Hi, Have you tried to find a Coin Shop in your area ?
    Give that a try, there are lots of Coin shop folks that would
    be happy to help you out...
    Just a thought....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. The closest coin shop is about an hour away, and with my current schedule it is hard for me to get there. I would really just like to be able to make an internet purchase. I appreciate any help that you all can offer. Thanks again.
    Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.--Heraclitus, 5 B.C.
  • Options
    have a look at kitco.com. Prolly the biggest retail bullion dealer there is.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying thousands of dollars of silver in those forms I'd likely be shopping at Apmex.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yepper, Apmex is probably the easiest way and for me, doing business with them has always been pretty pain free. Good luck!

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they have what you are looking for, Tulving.com is always competitive on pricing, and they ship immediately from stock. They have minimum order quantities, so it does depend on how much you are spending.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX ... look for some of their specials & make sure you don't pay via cc....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    If you want to put a few grand in silver bullion, I wouldn't do it in SAEs. 90% is good, but whatever you get, try to get it with as little premium to spot as possible.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want to put a few grand in silver bullion, I wouldn't do it in SAEs. 90% is good, but whatever you get, try to get it with as little premium to spot as possible. >>

I will ditto that. I like to grab SAE when I just want to drop a little disposable cash on a roll or two, but I'd be nervous to buy 500-1000 of them all by myself because of the high premium. It wouldn't be an issue if the high premium always stayed there, since they would later sell for more too, but who knows.

My preference are 100 oz bars. For cost, portability, ease of storage, and liquidity, I just don't think you can beat them. I like 10 oz bars too, but not quite as much as I do the 100 oz. 1 Oz rounds just bug me (except real government issued ones like maples or eagles).

I'm not in a position to comment on any of the big online places, as I am lucky enough to live very close to a massive wholesaler, so I do my purchases in cash and carry, but I would offer the following advice: Don't stress out over pennies. Buy from someone who has what you want, IN STOCK, and will ship RIGHT NOW.

If outfit A has what you want and will ship now, and outfit B has what you want for .15/oz cheaper with a "we might be able to ship to you three weeks from now" line, spend the extra money and go with outfit A. Over the long term you won't care if you "overpaid" by fifteen cents, but you will be glad you got what you paid for in your own possession quickly, with no headache, and no stress.

Keep in mind many would disagree with me and fight and chew for every last cent and not worry about delays. To me though, spending 100 more on a five thousand dollar purchase is well worth it for getting what i want, NOW. My advice is worth what it cost you image

• Options
    Wouldn't the reason for buying silver be considered when figuring what form to buy?
    Investment diversification, insurance for if the SHTF? I purchase for both reasons.
    Personally, I thought it best to diversify the form of silver. 90%, ASE, 1 oz rounds (prospectors), 1 oz flats, 10 oz bars, and even Sterling.
    That way I'm covered for both reasons to buy.
    As to where, the other guys here would know better.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW,

Ask when to expect shipment.
    Have a nice day