Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

For Sale Here: Complete 1969 Topps baseball set with scans - *SET HAS BEEN SOLD*

For sale here directly is a complete 1969 Topps baseball set. Since I feel a buyer should have as much information as possible when they cannot hold the cards in their hands, I will do my best to describe the set. Overall it's a very clean set that is in EX to EX+ condition with some better and some worse. I would break it down this way: 15% EX-MT and better, 60% EX and EX+, 20% VG-EX (due only to corner wear or centering) and only 5% below VG-EX. I'm purposely overestimating on the 5% below VG-EX on the off chance I missed something, but it's mostly due to heavier corner wear since I do not see any really bad aside from Lou Brock and Bob Gibson all star, which should be replaced to maintain the set consistency. The Mickey Mantle, Nolan Ryan, and Reggie Jackson rookie are all very well centered.

Some of the more key cards in this set would grade: Banks VG-EX, Morgan EX-MT, Clemente EX+, Brock VG, Bench EX (slightly short left to right), Aaron VG-EX (paper wrinkle by left hand), Rose EX+, Yastrzemski EX+, Mays EX-MT, Frank Robinson EX+, Carlton EX-MT, Jackson RC VG-EX+ (so close to EX), Kaline EX-MT, Seaver VG (small crease from left edge to Met emblem in cap), Mantle VG-EX, Carew VG-EX, Ryan VG+ (due only to corner wear and some would call it VG-EX), Brooks Robinson VG-EX+, Palmer EX+, Fingers RC VG-EX+, and Bonds RC EX-MT.

Overall a very clean set that comes in 74 new ultra pro 9 pocket pages (single side only), and beautifully displayed in a 3 inch binder. With some upgrading this can be a very solid set. Sorry for the lengthy post, but like I said, I like a potential buyer to have plenty of information so he/she can make as a good a decision as possible without actually holding the cards. The Beckett guide value of the set is $2,800.00, but I am asking only $1,200.00 ($1,150 by check or money order), and that would include secure shipping with signature confirmation and fully insured. I have added some scans, but if you need more scans please do not hesitate to ask. Anyone interested in the set please PM me with your thoughts. Thanks for looking. Nick

imageimageimage

I will also include 7 different White Letter variations in VG to VG-EX condition to this 1969 baseball set deal on their own page in the back of the binder. They are:

444 - Joe Moeller
451 - Rich Rollins
468 - Pirate's Rookies
471 - Ted Savage
473 - Jose Arcia
476 - Red Sox Rookies (Ken Brett)
486 - Paul Casanova

Comments

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. Great set to colect! Good Luck
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice cards......... >>

Thanks Mike.
  • Options
    You call this stuff EX? Ya know, I read but don't post much and I look at this buy sell board even less because it's mostly just a bunch of overgraded, overpriced junk.
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    You call this stuff EX? Ya know, I read but don't post much and I look at this buy sell board even less because it's mostly just a bunch of overgraded, overpriced junk.

Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I think the description of these cards is accurate

EX-A grading term. A card that is in excellent condition may have light rounding of the corners, very light creasing, minor wear on the surface, and centering of no worse than 85/15.

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    must have read alot since oct. 2008...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>You call this stuff EX? Ya know, I read but don't post much and I look at this buy sell board even less because it's mostly just a bunch of overgraded, overpriced junk. >>

I'm pretty sure I know where your burrito is Jimmy..... try more reading and less posting. It was working for everyone before.

From what I see, well described.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    Since it's overgraded, I would like to offer $500.
  • Options

<< <i>You call this stuff EX? Ya know, I read but don't post much and I look at this buy sell board even less because it's mostly just a bunch of overgraded, overpriced junk. >>

Wow, that's one tough burrito! I'd like to see where you can come up with a nicer set for $1200. Grading seems about right to me.
  • Options
    What the soft taco doesn't understand is that every card pictured has been assigned my grading opinion in the 2nd paragraph. I'll let the empanada slide this time.
  • Options
    I would say accurately described.
  • Options
    123Slider, Manofmoe, and vintagechris - Thank you for your kind words and support.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

You are right about Nick, NOT

.. I've never delt with Nick personally, but I've read nothing but great things about his past sales and deals. Why don't you find a better place for card collecting like Craigslist. At Craigslist you can buy lots of real junk and lots of fake cards. Not to mention there is also a great chance you will get robbed or jacked............. I think it will be a great fit for you.

OK I said enough.....Time for you to drive thru you f'N jac*ass!

Brian
  • Options
    Last complete set without any PSA graded cards and in similar condition sold for $1000. However, the "seller" is a perceived and well discussed but not yet proven scammer. If that eBay "seller" actually owned the set, he is a moron that left a lot of money on the table. If he was a scammer, which would probably be the consensus, he made a quick grand and ran.

Edit to add: My point was that you can buy this set at a reasonable price from a trusted forum user.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    I have bought some things from Nick. I thought he graded it very accuratly. I still have the Whitey Nickimage
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Look properly assessed to me.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a loser image

Nick your reputation speaks for itself- first class image

Nice cards and good luck with the sale, accurately graded and very nice price.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Looks about right to me. Best of luck with the sale.

Jeff
  • Options
    If you want to read Dumboburrito's first thread when he was normal, here it be

Thread

My last comment on this thread. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this set. It appears to be accurately graded on average. Some even seem a little better than described according to PSA's grading standards. Worst case scenario if I purchased this set, I have Nick's address so I know where he lives. image

Good luck with the sale Nick.
  • Options
    Looks like the seller emailed all his pals to defend him. I stand by what I said. If you need me to grade em right, I will. But maybe you should instead send a couple to PSA and see what they say, if you're so confident. I've got five of these sets and for starters it looks like you totally ignored centering. Maybe one of your buds should put their money where their mouth is and buy it if it's such a great deal.
  • Options
    Ok, maybe that wasn't my last reply to this thread. I don't see anywhere that Nick mentions the entire set is at least EX or EXMT. If you advertise a set as 85% EX or worse, which in case you may not know is a PSA 5 or lower, no one is expecting minty fresh cards. Again IMO, the set is undergraded if you go strictly by PSA 5 or lower standards.

<< <i>I would break it down this way: 15% EX-MT and better, 60% EX and EX+, 20% VG-EX (due only to corner wear or centering) and only 5% below VG-EX. I'm purposely overestimating on the 5% below VG-EX on the off chance I missed something >>

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I was told burritto is Fandango.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Looks like an EX set to me. No need to describe centering, the scans speak for themselves.

Interested in buying it? Shoot Nick a PM and he will scan any other card you want.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    2800 is for a set in nr mt condition.An ex mt set would get 40-60% of that.So that price falls in those lines.This is info from beckett price guide 2008.
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set for the price... If I had the extra money I would buy it as I do not yet have that set.

If you still have it in a month or so let me know.

Dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the seller emailed all his pals to defend him. I stand by what I said. If you need me to grade em right, I will. But maybe you should instead send a couple to PSA and see what they say, if you're so confident. I've got five of these sets and for starters it looks like you totally ignored centering. Maybe one of your buds should put their money where their mouth is and buy it if it's such a great deal. >>

That is a pretty ignorant statement for a newbie to make. Nick has been here for a while and has had many transactions with board members. I dont think he needs to email anyone to defend him. Unless the overgrading is so overly blantant, your statements were uncalled for. Per the scans, his description is quite accurate.

Congratulations on owning 5 sets...you are a national hero! What does that have to do with accurate grading? If you are talking about the centering, how many ebay items do you want me to find that are VERY off center and have no qualifiers? The percentage of grades were broken down. Maybe you misread or need someone to read it for you?

And another thing...Nick can ask what he wants for the set. Who says that great deals have to be offered here? Maybe its fair, maybe others think not. That is for the potential buyer to decide.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    i think its a nice set i would enjoy having and upgrading here and there.

i think the price is fair, you don't like it make an offer, the only thing that can be said is no.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I am not his pal nor bud...

you are right ...they all look poor/good to me...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like the seller emailed all his pals to defend him. I stand by what I said. If you need me to grade em right, I will. But maybe you should instead send a couple to PSA and see what they say, if you're so confident. I've got five of these sets and for starters it looks like you totally ignored centering. Maybe one of your buds should put their money where their mouth is and buy it if it's such a great deal. >>

This is quickly approaching the point of becoming too stupid to even comment on, but I will anyway. I have never had any dealings with Nick, but in this case his scans speak for themselves. If you don't like the cards and the price, just move on. I don't know what your agenda is here, but quit cra**ping on another members for sale thread when you clearly don't have anything productive to add, and no concept of grading. I would be all over this if I weren't buying a house in the near future. Just my 2 cents.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks again to everyone for their unsolicited support, and many compliments about my accurate grading.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks again to everyone for their unsolicited support >>

So does that mean you won't give me the $20 (you e-mailed me about 5 times last night) if I come on here and say your grades are accurate?
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Bumped for the night crew.
  • Options
    Why all the haters? Isn't it OK to put whatever price you want on something? If it's too high don't buy... The cards I have bought from this seller have been more than fairly graded. I can't say whether thats a good price or not, but if someone doesn't think it is just let it go. Time will tell if it is or not by if he sells it or if it sits.

Nice set, wish I had one. Maybe someday.
    "I put my pants on just like you... One leg at a time. The differences is when I put them on, I make gold records."
  • Options
    Bumped to include 7 different White Letter variations in VG to VG-EX condition to this 1969 baseball set deal. They will be on their own page in the back of the binder. They are:

444 - Joe Moeller
    451 - Rich Rollins
    468 - Pirate's Rookies
    471 - Ted Savage
    473 - Jose Arcia
    476 - Red Sox Rookies (Ken Brett)
    486 - Paul Casanova
  • Options
    The mail order bride I purchased from Nick was a 4 at best when he claimed she was 7.5/8.Plus to top it off she had a slight tilt.I would like to return Waddles for a full refund please.
    Mike
  • Options
    I guess if you can admit to needing a mail order bride, the least I can do is admit to selling you one. image Enjoy.
  • Options
    The moral of the story is to only Third Party Graded Mail Order Brides.
    Mike
  • Options
    This set has been sold. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    So somebody bought this stuff,eh? I'm skeptical, I think you just wanted to put an end to this embarassment. We all know this stuff was VG at best. Who are you trying to fool? Geez.
  • Options
    If the buyer wants to come in the thread and say he bought the set that's his business, but it sure isnt yours soft taco.
  • Options
    congrats on the sale, nam
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Posts by BurritoJimmy

<< <i> You call this stuff EX? Ya know, I read but don't post much and I look at this buy sell board even less because it's mostly just a bunch of overgraded, overpriced junk. >>

<< <i> Looks like the seller emailed all his pals to defend him. I stand by what I said. If you need me to grade em right, I will. But maybe you should instead send a couple to PSA and see what they say, if you're so confident. I've got five of these sets and for starters it looks like you totally ignored centering. Maybe one of your buds should put their money where their mouth is and buy it if it's such a great deal. >>

<< <i> So somebody bought this stuff,eh? I'm skeptical, I think you just wanted to put an end to this embarassment. We all know this stuff was VG at best. Who are you trying to fool? Geez. >>

So lets see....BurritoJimmy started a thread when he joined and introduced himself and made a few comments here and there in the mean time. Now his last 3 posts of his total of 12 posts are just plain rude and stupid. Why would you join a forum and bash a member for no reason? It's one thing if you are teasing him, but you are calling him out for no reason.

Also, Nick is totally correct the way he handled his sale here. When someone elects to discuss a trade or business via email or pm, that's the way it should be. As Nick said, the buyer can post something later when he gets the cards or when he feels he wants to. Or maybe you feel Nick told the buyer the sale has to be confidential or you really believe he was ashamed for not selling the set and he will just eat the cards and not try to continue selling them. LAME

Brian
  • Options
    Burrrito is a troll, I wonder who's' alt he really is?

Nick, good job on that set.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

How good do you want the centering to be to get a grade of EX??? Congrats on the sale Nick and for the record, if I have ever been emailed or contacted by you, it was in a previous lifetime. TacoJim is a troll for sure. Glad we all know that for the future.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Heh, that got ugly. I bought the set. I sent Nick a check today.

I am collecting raw sets. I plan on getting all of the Topps sets back to 1952. They are all going in binders, because my next house will have a place to display my cards. My wife promised. I am not a condition nut. I just want cards that present well for this project. They will be displayed and enjoyed. The scans look like most of the cards are ex or better. Nick stated the condition of the cards. I'm comfortable. Thanks for your concern.

If anyone is driving from the east across I-80 for the national this summer, feel free to stop by check my progress on this project. I'll probably have my '68 set finished by then - thanks in part to Nick.

*** edited because I forgot where I live
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Good luck with it Arch.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>If anyone is driving from the east across I-80 for the national this summer, feel free to stop by check my progress on this project. >>

Will you have any beer? If so expect two visitors to make pit stop on Wednesday morning on our way to Cleveland. Of course coming from Charlotte, it might be a little out of our way, but hell its old cardboard and beer.

Congrats on the set purchase ArchStanton!

Nick, Congrats on putting a nice set together and selling it! image
  • Options
    that a cool plan arch
    i'm trying that as well and i have the same thought on condition of the cards should be presentable. doesn't have to be mint cherry cards. if you can get them for a decent price you can always upgrade the ones you don't like

good luck with it.
    Fred

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Arch. I particularly like the Aaron and Mays cards. That's a great set.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Matt - There is almost always beer at my house. There IS always alcohol on hand. My wife knows that my friends may show up at any time in any condition. She is very understanding about it.

My old house would have been a great pit stop on the way from Charlotte. This summer I'll be about three hours out of the way.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection