Home Precious Metals
Options

Poured vs. Die Struck silver premium

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
There were two auctions tonight that gave good insight to the premium that poured silver bars carry. One auction was for a 5oz Poured Engelhard bar and the other auction was for a 5oz Die Struck Engelhard bar.

Both auctions were of the same name brand and size bar. The only difference was the method of manufacture.
Both auctions were hosted by the same seller so that comparison is identical.
Both auctions ended at the same time (within a minute of each other) so we know that spot price was identical.
Both auctions had adequate photos.
Both auctions had shipping charges that were nearly identical (less than a $1 difference).

AUCTION #1 was for the poured bar and closed with a hammer price of $131.50 for a premium above spot of $15.01 per ounce which breaks down to a total of $26.30 per ounce paid. (based on $11.29 spot price shown at Apmex right now)

AUCTION #2 was for the die struck bar and closed with a hammer price of $73.00 for a premium above spot of $3.31 per ounce which breaks down to a total of $14.60 per ounce paid. (Based on $11.29 spot price shown at Apmex right now)

In conclusion it would appear, by these limited results, that a poured bar from a reputable manufacturer will garner nearly 5 times the premium that a die struck bar of the same size and from the same reputable manufacturer will. That's a pretty significant premium if you ask me. Below are photos of the two bars from the two auctions. In interests of full disclosure I did not bid on the poured bar but I am the high bidder/winner of the die struck bar.

imageimage

Edit to add: Of interesting note. There is an Engelhard poured 5oz silver bar from a 100% positive feedback seller on eBay with free shipping and a BuyItNow price of $127. After seeing the auction in my above post sell for significantly more I can't see why no one has purchased the BIN one. People are weird, that is my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    I have a few of the poured bars if you need one image
    Its all relative
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to have a 5ounce poured bar if you have extras.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a few of the poured bars if you need one image >>

For $73? image All kidding aside though, offer appreciated but I'm not in the market for them.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to have a 5ounce poured bar if you have extras. >>

i do have extra's but not for $70 lol.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    the poured ones are much rarer and are collected by quite a bit of people.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    How much do the really old Englehard poured bars bring? I've got a few 5, 20 and 50 oz. poured bars and they have a rather crude appearence compared to the bar pictured above.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Norseman post some pics!

You could probably expect to get 100-120+ for the 5 oz ones. Lately they are going for a lot more.

20 oz and 50 oz don't go for too high because they are much larger. I mean a person will be willing to shell 30+ an ounce for lets say an old hand poured one ounce bar but not 30+ an ounce for 20 ounce bar because it costs much more.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    The 5 oz bars normally sell around $100, I think this one went higher b/c of the low serial. 20 oz sell often for $325-$350 and 50 oz same as any other 50/oz bar.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Norseman post some pics!

You could probably expect to get 100-120+ for the 5 oz ones. Lately they are going for a lot more.

20 oz and 50 oz don't go for too high because they are much larger. I mean a person will be willing to shell 30+ an ounce for lets say an old hand poured one ounce bar but not 30+ an ounce for 20 ounce bar because it costs much more. >>

I can remember local dealers having quite a few of the old poured Englehard 5 oz. bars and even remember a 3 and 4 oz. bar that I almost bought but for some reason didn't, what a stooge I was cause Silver was $5 back then.image
  • Options
    The 3 & 4 oz bars sell for $120-$200 each now. Sometimes even more for the 4 oz bar.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>The 3 & 4 oz bars sell for $120-$200 each now. Sometimes even more for the 4 oz bar.[/

I'm not saying it's possible but I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled who knows maybe one of these little gems will show up again for a couple bucks over melt.
  • Options
    If you find a 4 oz, I'll pay you top dollar for it. image
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>If you find a 4 oz, I'll pay you top dollar for it. image >>

If I find one I'll let you know.