Home Metal Detecting

I went out for a while today..and had one

of my best finds in the last year. I found a merc dime, a silver quarter, and the usual trash. But the highlight was this.......a 1798 Draped Bust Large cent, found in my favorite park. I am in the process of assembling the video, but I couldn't wait to post a pic of the Large cent!

Although it has a greenish tint because of the verdigris on it...it's in pretty good shape.

Comments

• Millenium,

Very nice!!!! I'm moving to Middle Georgia in about a year and a half. I'm ready to get in an area where I can find these oldies!!!!!

How deep was this one?

Congrats!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • It was around 7".....But I think it was on edge...looking at the coloration, both sides seem to have weathered about the same. I am amazed that this coin was still there. I have hunted this park pretty hard over the years, and so has Lord Marcovan. The area is trashy, and there was a some iron nails near it.
  • Excellent find!

G.
    imageimageimage
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Congradulations, thats a beautiful coin! Great find for the first month of the year as well image
  • man, i'm jealous of this one...my oldest is a 1917 wheat cent.
    imageimageimage
  • goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    congrats! awesome find image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one great find. You can never find everything no mater how hard you hunt.
  • Nice find.
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super finds.. .what a great hunt... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Awesome find. I'm surprised this was left in the ground.......wouldda thought sure LordM's grubby little finger's picked this out of the ground a long time ago. He's gonna be glad and mad at you. image

Hope everything is well down there.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Hi Wes!....Been a while since I heard from you...The wife is doing a lot better, the Chemo knocks her down from time to time, but overall she is doing very well...I think this coin was on edge, plus it was in a very trashy area, that has nails and pieces of iron littered about....the trash I dug that day was unbelievable. I posted a PM to LM, but have not heard from him as of yet. I know there has to be some more coins in there, it's just getting past the trash, and the patience to hang in there, hole after hole after hole with nothing to show for it except a bag full of crap.....
  • Im surprised also. Ive probably worked that park also with LM. Havent seen him in a while. Wouldnt mind meeting up with you sometime Millennium. Ive yet to even break the wheat penny barrier (I did find a dated choufeur badge, 1927, but nothing other then common change as far as coins go).
  • Returned. Life sucks right now man... which is why I havent been around. Since Ive given up on everything else, its back to goofing off... cause hard work doesnt seem to pay off right now.
  • Awesome coin! Too bad it wasn't a 1799 image
  • Great find. A 200+ year old coin get the blood pumping. Copper looking that good is even better.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful coin. Congratulations.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Millenium,

That coin is absolutely amazing. Congrats on recovering such a beauty.
    Speer34

imageimageimage