Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How an enemy respectfully talks about UNCLE Pujols

November 8, 2008

Albert Pujols Gets Bagwelled Out Of The Gold Glove

Unbelieveable.

The Gold Gloves are voted on by the coaches and managers in the NL. Seems impossible to me that they didn't seem to notice how unbelieveably good Uncle is. Not another 1B can begin to approach his range, footwork or glovework.

It's not just my opinion - David Pinto (PMR), Chris Dial, Mitchel Lichtman (UZR), Bill James and John Dewan all agree on Uncle's excellence.

I figured Adam Everett didn't get no respect because his BA was too low and he was so good he almost never made Web Gem plays.

But Uncle has one of the highest BA in the league.

What's the excuse?

You can't say he doesn't LOOK smooth or fluid or graceful, because he does.

Adrian Gonzalez, the winner, is built much more like Uncle than he is like Mark Grace or J.T. Snow, so it can't be that.

Actually, I just don't understand why Uncle gets so little props from the baseball reporters outside of St. Louis. I continuously hear about how Alex Rodriguez is one of the 5 best RH hitters of all times.

Fascinating.

Arod played his first full season at age 20 and the average of his OPS+ over his first 8 full seasons is 147.

Manny Ramirez played his first full season at age 22 and the average of his OPS+ over his first 8 full seasons is 155

Uncle played his first full season his first year, age 21, and the average of his OPS+ over his first full 8 seasons is 170.

And before I hear any stuff about Arod playing SS, as if that hinders his ability to hit, I want to remind everyone that Uncle spent his first 4 years playing different positions and having to learn 3rd, LF and first (he was originally a SS, in case anyone has forgtten that, and he was an excellent fielding 3B who was ONLY moved because Scott Rolen was acquired.)

Of course I think that reporters forgetting about Albert Pujols' hitting abilities is East Coast Bias, but it certainly doesn't explain the yearly lack of respect shown his hitting by MVP voters. Or the Gold Glove voters.

I know that in many years, there are, uh, ODD (ahem) votes for the GG - say, Bobby Abreu, Derek Jeter, Rafe Palmeiro (the year he played only 28 games), Nate McLouth, Steve Finley - but how on earth Uncle can be disregarded year after year is a mystery to me.

Unless he is deliberately being ignored because he isn't "exciting" or screwing slutty starlets or something. Or perhaps he is (unknown to the rest of us) really disliked by the media ala Ted Williams. But hey, they HATED Barry Lamar and they didn't refuse to vote for him for either the GG or for MVP. (Well, Barry did get screwed out of 2 MVPs. But hey, he got himself plenty more...)

Albert Pujols is THE best all around player in baseball and it isn't close (trust me on this - I see the SOB 18 times a year at least and my eyes work just fine. Like Supreme Court Justice whatshisname said - greatness: I know it when I see it.)

Oh. And why Bagwelled?

Because Bagwell didn't never get no respect neither - only 1 GG and he should have been winning them every year in the 90s. I would think maybe it is a righty/lefty thing, but Derrek Lee won 3 GG this decade and he is a righty. And I would think maybe it is the bulky slugger thingy, but hey, Todd Helton won 3 this decade and he's a bulky slugger - or at least he was when he was winning them

Comments