Home Metal Detecting
Options

Here are my finds from the hunt..and a video

Nothing really old, a 1934 wheatie was the oldest, but there were 5 wheat cents. The tally was:

5 Quarters...no Silver
12 Dimes...No Silver
2 Tokens
24 Cents..with 5 being Wheaties...1934, 1942, 1952, 1954 and 1957

2 Keys and a cross-like piece of brass/copper

This is a tough place to hunt, all of the coins are typically 5 inches deep, and the olders coins are often deeper. It's an ols ballpark that has had dirt hauled in several times since it's beginning. A good place to practice though.

And here is my first motion video on this hunt...I am going to try to video every trip. I ran out of disc space on the camera, it's a digital, so I need to get more memory sticks...

Here is the link to the video:

My first attempt at a real time video and 1st hunt of 2009

Comments

• Options
    Steve - enjoyed the first video! What kind of scoop is that? Nice wheaties. Rich
  • Options
    The scoop is one I made 30 years ago. I took a regular garden trowel and welded a section of steel handlebar from a bicycle over the trowel handle...then I put a handlebar grip on the end....they are cheap and easily found. I turned it over and welded 1/8" steel reinforcements (welding rods with the flux knocked off) around the base of the trowel, where they typically break, and I can get great leverage when needed to pry out roots, rocks, and all sorts of things we find in the holes.

I use a file to keep the edge sharp, and hammer the blade flat on occasion, when it's been bent....hammering also helps to make the edge harder to bend. I have had this over 30 years now, and it does an excellent job and has never broken.

It's ugly.....but it works great!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.. the finds and the video... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Cool finds and video!
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    i love the video! cool!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/