Home Precious Metals
Options

UT OH!!!! Someone didnt read carefully!

Someone is about to make a BIG mistake on this one! They normally sell for around 20 bucks.

WOW!

Comments

• Options
    Wow, maybe I should list mine
    Its all relative
  • Options
    people dont shop around do they?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably thought it was 10 oz. rather than 10 g. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    looking at bidding history it would seem more than one had that idea

both high bidders show a bidding history towards pipes and jewelry.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone is about to make a BIG mistake on this one! They normally sell for around 20 bucks.

WOW! >>

At $20 I think it's overpriced. Yikesimage
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    I'm a buyer @ $20
    Its all relative
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    well it appears more then just one person cannot read... to drive
    it up so far.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those normaly carry a premium though don't they? Not $100 premium of course... but I thought I've seen them sell for around 40 or 50 before.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BIDIOTS!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Those normaly carry a premium though don't they? Not $100 premium of course... but I thought I've seen them sell for around 40 or 50 before. >>

$40-$50 is very extreme.....they are usually right in the $20 range.
  • Options
    It only sold for 149.50!!!!!!!!!image

For about a third of an ounce what a great buy!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those normaly carry a premium though don't they? Not $100 premium of course... but I thought I've seen them sell for around 40 or 50 before. >>

$40-$50 is very extreme.....they are usually right in the $20 range. >>

What's an ounce of silver, $11.50? What does that make 10gms worth?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

$40-$50 is very extreme.....they are usually right in the $20 range. >>

What's an ounce of silver, $11.50? What does that make 10gms worth? >>

By that logic, a 1916-D mercury dime should be worth around a buck or so then? The value lies in the collectability of the piece, and not the intrinsic worth.
  • Options
    WOW, I've got a 1 gram, 4 gram, 5 gram and 10 gram bar maybe I should contact the buyer sell him my bars and order 50 silver Buffalo rounds from APMEX!!!image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Funny that not just one, but four idiots bid on it as if it were 10 ounces.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    if they thought the bar was 10 oz, do you think the seller should have contacted them or just let it go?
  • Options

<< <i>

By that logic, a 1916-D mercury dime should be worth around a buck or so then? The value lies in the collectability of the piece, and not the intrinsic worth. >>

Check your logic. The bar isn't a 1916 D Mercury Dime. What makes a bar of silver a collectable? There in lies the rub.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

By that logic, a 1916-D mercury dime should be worth around a buck or so then? The value lies in the collectability of the piece, and not the intrinsic worth. >>

Check your logic. The bar isn't a 1916 D Mercury Dime. What makes a bar of silver a collectable? There in lies the rub. >>

For the precise same reason that a 1916-D merc is collectable, people want them. You and I dont collect beanie babies, but just cuz we see them as a sack of pellets didnt stop them from selling for crazy prices. I dont give a crap about Spiderman #1, but enough people do to warrant a HIGH premium for it. Same thing goes for that merc dime, and yes, even a Credit Suisse 10 gram silver bar. You need to realize that different people chase after different objects for different reasons. That Credit Suisse bar is well over 20 years old, and the fact that they routinely sell at a $20 level is enough proof that demand exceeds supply.....considerably!

EDITED TO ADD: Im in no way, shape, or form defending the hammer price. The simple fact is that multiple people obviously thought it was a 10 oz bar, and thats why the high price.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    some bars are collector's items (old Mint bars ie) this is not of any collector value , correct?

i would think that one could then add the "collector's item" to glossary of descriptive terms

"limited edition", MADE IN USA,

gecko, make some "bigger" stuff....image
  • Options

<< <i>some bars are collector's items (old Mint bars ie) this is not of any collector value , correct?

>>

That's my point. This particular bar isn't a collector's item.
  • Options

<< <i>That Credit Suisse bar is well over 20 years old, and the fact that they routinely sell at a $20 level is enough proof that demand exceeds supply.....considerably!

EDITED TO ADD: Im in no way, shape, or form defending the hammer price. The simple fact is that multiple people obviously thought it was a 10 oz bar, and thats why the high price. >>

Phil,
    I understand the notion of collecting interesting silver bars, but that's friggin' as generic as they come. If I buy gold bullion futures and take delivery, the bars don't become more valuable just because they are "bars" of bullion. So the notion of a silver bar--this one anyways--of being a collectable is questionable.
  • Options
    I picked up a neat bar this fall, it's a 3 troy oz. bar American State Bank Great Bend, Kansas 1910-1970. it has a picture of the bank on the front and a map on the back with a covered wagon, canon, teepee and Pawnee rock it also shows the Arkansas river, Walnut creek and walnut creek crossing. the bar was distributed by Foster Inc. Walla Walla, Washington.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That Credit Suisse bar is well over 20 years old, and the fact that they routinely sell at a $20 level is enough proof that demand exceeds supply.....considerably!

EDITED TO ADD: Im in no way, shape, or form defending the hammer price. The simple fact is that multiple people obviously thought it was a 10 oz bar, and thats why the high price. >>

Phil,
    I understand the notion of collecting interesting silver bars, but that's friggin' as generic as they come. If I buy gold bullion futures and take delivery, the bars don't become more valuable just because they are "bars" of bullion. So the notion of a silver bar--this one anyways--of being a collectable is questionable. >>

Well it seems we certainly have to disagree. If that bar is as "generic" as you claim, I'd like to put forth a challange. Your mission is to aquire just 5 of them within the next 30 days at any price. During the course of this mission, you will very quickly realize just how "un-generic" these bars really are! Once you gather the 5 bars, I will then offer to pay you 4x melt for all five bars. Should end up being a tidy profit for your troubles, huh?image A common date SAE is "generic". A 10 ounce silver bar is "generic". Most 1 oz, 5 oz, and 100 oz bars are "generic". That Credit Suisse 10 gram bar is anything BUT "generic".
  • Options

<< <i>

Well it seems we certainly have to disagree. If that bar is as "generic" as you claim, I'd like to put forth a challange. Your mission is to aquire just 5 of them within the next 30 days at any price. During the course of this mission, you will very quickly realize just how "un-generic" these bars really are! Once you gather the 5 bars, I will then offer to pay you 4x melt for all five bars. Should end up being a tidy profit for your troubles, huh?image A common date SAE is "generic". A 10 ounce silver bar is "generic". Most 1 oz, 5 oz, and 100 oz bars are "generic". That Credit Suisse 10 gram bar is anything BUT "generic". >>

Text
    Check this out Phil. I guess I'm not enthralled by silver bars. So I'll pass on the endeavor to collect them and resell 'em to you.

Edited to add, I received my $10 Gold Jackson and Van Buren first spouse coins today. Have you seen them? Great seated Liberty and a terrific Capped Bust Liberty on the Jackson. I'll try to post photos as soon as I get my camera working properly.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Sold for $1495.00 per ounce

Where are these rubes when I'm selling?
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Not to shabby on this auction end price either.

10 gram credit suisse
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think the metric system will ever be introduced into America????????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to shabby on this auction end price either.

10 gram credit suisse >>

Crazy price, but at least this time, it was "legit". Percy....sell me all you have for "just" 4x melt!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not to shabby on this auction end price either.

10 gram credit suisse >>

Crazy price, but at least this time, it was "legit". Percy....sell me all you have for "just" 4x melt!!!image >>

That sale equates to about $200 an ounce. I still don't see the attraction.
  • Options
    Wonder what I could get for my set of 5,10,20,100 gram credit suisse bars. If I could get $200/oz I would certainly sell.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder what I could get for my set of 5,10,20,100 gram credit suisse bars. If I could get $200/oz I would certainly sell. >>

If the sale of that 10g bar is any indication, you should be able to get roughly $200 per ounce.
  • Options
    apmex has some 5 gr for 15 bucks..
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>apmex has some 5 gr for 15 bucks.. >>

don't forget the 10 dollars shipping! ouch.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch!

I bought two 5 gram Engelhards for under $7 for both!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>apmex has some 5 gr for 15 bucks.. >>

don't forget the 10 dollars shipping! ouch. >>

I went ahead and grabbed that when I placed my order although I already have a pile of them.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cars, I saw your pictures on the other thread, how many ounces does that add up to?